Apple Announces iPhone 7 With no Headphone Jack

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Apple Announces iPhone 7 With no Headphone Jack

The iPhone 7 comes with plenty of new features, but its the removal of the headphone jack that brings the most significant change.

It's pretty much a given that any cellphone you buy these days will come with two things: some kind of USB port for charging/connecting to your PC, and a headphone Jack. Well today Apple has turned the world of cellphones upside-down by announcing its iPhone 7... sans headphone jack.

In place of the jack is a second speaker, giving the phone stereo sound. The phone comes standard with a pair of specially designed EarPods that connect to the lightning port. Additionally, a 3.5mm adapter for the lightning port does come in the box, so you will still be able to use your old headphones with the phone (just not charge it at the same time).

As for new features - the big one is that the iPhone 7 has a fully water resistant body. No more putting your phone into a bag of rice trying to desperately evaporate the moisture after accidentally dropping it in the toilet!

[gallery=6466]

The camera in both the standard iPhone 7 and the bigger iPhone 7 plus has been substantially improved. The standard model has been upgraded with optical image stabilization and a brighter f/1.8 lens, while the plus model has a brand-new "dual camera system" that allows for true 2x optical zoom without loss of image quality.

Alongside the iPhone 7, Apple also announced the "AirPod" wireless headphones. These updated EarPods are completely wireless, without even a wire connecting the left and right pods. You will be able to connect them to your iPhone 7 via Bluetooth, but they will be sold separately.

The iPhone 7 will be released on September 16. The standard model will start with 32GB of storage for $649 and goes up to 256GB for $849. The larger iPhone 7 Plus on the other hand starts at $769 for the 32GB version and goes up to $969 for the top model.

Source: Apple [http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/]

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Don't worry, Apple will solve the issue with releasing the iAdapter. It will allow you to connect any of your headphones and charge your phone at the same time, all for the low price of $39.99!

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
"Because fuck you, thats why"

Different ports are NOT a good thing. One of the few improvements Xbox One did was make teh charger use the same port as a phone.

Having your phone charger be able to charge everything is a good thing. Same for headphones being standard, so I dont have to have 10 different kinds.

Not that I give a fuck about Apple products, but still.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Making wireless headphones for your phone: Good

getting rid of the jack: Bad

This change just comes off like how they do their charges, Fuck third parties and convenience BUY OUR HEADPHONES!

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Saelune said:
Different ports are NOT a good thing. One of the few improvements Xbox One did was make teh charger use the same port as a phone.

Having your phone charger be able to charge everything is a good thing. Same for headphones being standard, so I dont have to have 10 different kinds.
I mean if they gave half a damn about universal compatibility they would have ditched the 30-pin connector and lightning port years ago for MiniUSB type B like every other smartphone manufacturer. Apple thrives on this stuff (that $40 charger money).

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
*GASP!*

Oh my god, they got him! They've killed HeadphoneJack!

You monsters!

mardocOz

The Doc is in...
Oct 22, 2014
I don't see many people being too positive about this change, but frankly what were they expecting? They've massively inconvenienced their customers so they can make a cynical cash grab and make their phone slightly thinner (as if anyone really cares about that).

If I hadn't already switched away from Apple products, this would have made me.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Completely unsurprised that they did that, and they will continually not see me buy an iPhone as well.

I say this while I'm typing on an MacBook Pro and charging up my (screen cracked, but still works (!!!)) iPod.

I think the wireless earbuds are really stupid and I really don't care for the design of them either. Sorry Apple, but Android will always be my buddy.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
mardocOz said:
and make their phone slightly thinner (as if anyone really cares about that).
Really though, I don't understand the obsession with shaving millimeters off a phone's width when Apple's fragile-ass screens pretty much make a protective case mandatory.

"Yeah check out my new phone! It's only 2mm thick!" [Inserts it into a 7mm thick enclosure]

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
And now still watch millions upon millions of people buy them, because you know, gotta have that new iphone.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Huh, Apple actually did it, and removed the headphone jack. I just thought that was a dumb rumour, not a dumb reality.

I get that the headphone jack is beyond outdated, and a weakness in their waterproofing, or whatever, but replacing it with your own proprietary connector ensures change wont happen.

What that does mean, though: if this turns out to be a trend for Apple phones, my next phone will be an Android device.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Well, color me surprised; they went ahead and did it.

The morons. This is not going to end well. Either they introduce a competing new standard, further crippling intercompatibility, or the market finally grows a spine and refuses to buy in.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
My biggest bafflement is how the new AirPods don't even connect to one another. That sounds like an excellent way to lose one down a storm drain or something.

I mean, Bluetooth headphones have been around for ages and and making them even easier to lose and more inconvenient to charge is the next step? Good one guys.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
People will still buy it, their choice. However, do people still put themselves in debt/money trouble just for a phone? If so, then that's a cause for concern. If you want to be "in" with the new tech, that's fine but don't fuck your credit score up just to feel included.

I also find it funny how they showed off their new camera feature as if its new and exclusive. Professional photographers won't use an iPhone or any smart phone. They have DSLR cameras for that to capture better and detailed pics and not please the selfie, Snapchat story users.

The hype for this phone seems strange and OTT. Then again Apple is and has been compare to a cult movement and then again Apple knows how to get consumers to spend ridiculous amounts of money that will have you going to the Genius bar and be put on a 5 week waiting list to fix a single fault with the phone.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Yeah, yeah. The lack of a 3.5 mm jack is monumentally stupid. However, is anyone else equally fascinated that a brand new, top of the line phone in 2016 has a screen that not only uses antiquated LCD tech but also doesn't even reach the bog standard 1080p resolution?

Fuck me, if ever there were any proof that Apple products, iPhones specifically, were more fashion accessories than useful tech....this is it.

nickpy

Oct 9, 2010
ToastyMozart said:
MiniUSB type B
Sorry to be pedantic, but I think you mean Micro USB type B.

OT: Saw it coming, am disappointed but not surprised. I wasn't going to buy any apple products anyway so it doesn't effect me, but damn, that's just silly. Almost as silly as the single USB Type C on their Macbook Airs. Its not that they decided to go for Type C that bothers me - technology moves on, and it is a standard, albiet one that is currently almost exclusive to them, but why only one especially considering it is ALSO the charging port? I mean, that's just silly.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Yeah, yeah. The lack of a 3.5 mm jack is monumentally stupid. However, is anyone else equally fascinated that a brand new, top of the line phone in 2016 has a screen that not only uses antiquated LCD tech but also doesn't even reach the bog standard 1080p resolution?

Fuck me, if ever there were any proof that Apple products, iPhones specifically, were nothing more than fashion accessories instead of useful tech....this is it.
Well, it's brighter? Yeah I saw that and I thought, "Really? No 2K or 4K screen for a phone that cost THAT MUCH!!" No increase in resolution which is bizarre.