Interplay is Now Offering its "Significant IP Portfolio" for Sale

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Interplay is Now Offering its "Significant IP Portfolio" for Sale

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1348/1348139.jpgLong-time publisher and developer Interplay is offering its game and intellectual property catalog for sale.

If you played PC games in the 80s and 90s, you know all abnout Interplay. Founded in 1983 with Brian Fargo at its head, the company was responsible for a number of games, including the creation of the original Fallout. It also served a publisher for a number of titles, including Descent and Baldur's Gate.

Since its glory days, the company has been in the news more for lawsuits and bankruptcies than for games. Most notable among those was the long-running lawsuit with Bethesda over the rights to the Fallout series.

Now the company is in the news again, and this time it's because it plans to sell off all of its games, characters, and related intellectual property. The news came in a press release [https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2016/09/07/870242/10165014/en/Interplay-Announces-Sale-of-Significant-IP-Portfolio-Wedbush-Securities-as-Strategic-Advisor.html] from Wedbush Securities, the company assisting with the sale. Interplay President Eric Caen is quoted in the release as saying,

"Interplay has entertained millions of players with its well-recognized games, including Earthworm Jim, Freespace, Giants, Kingpin, Messiah, MDK, Run Like Hell, Sacrifice, Battlechess, Clayfighter, Dark Alliance, and Descent. As game creators, we are proud of the entertainment these properties have provided over the years. With the proliferation of mobile, augmented reality, virtual reality and other new forms of consumption, we believe that consumers are ready to experience and interact with Interplay's characters, stories and game play in ways never possible before. We look forward to seeing how this unique portfolio of interactive entertainment icons will evolve for the worldwide audience."

It remains to be seen who might pick up some of these titles, but it would be exciting to see some of these classic titles come back. Personally, I would love to see someone pick up Giants: Citizen Kabuto and make a new game in that series.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
Dammit, Volition now's your chance! Acquire the rights to Freespace and make that third game!

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Kajin said:
Dammit, Volition now's your chance! Acquire the rights to Freespace and make that third game!
I think i fainted for a moment at what you said. GIVE ME IT

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Those were some really cool games back in the day. It just goes to show how badly Interplay squandered some very high potential franchises.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Sacrifice, Battlechess and Decent... i either never knew or definitly forgot, they were all from the same company. Oh please, someone buy it and give me more of these games.
Decent was the game that made me spent way to much money on an Afterburner 2-Handed Joystick - which only gathers dust nowadays :/

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I have no idea how many hours of my childhood Interplay took from me in the form of M.A.X and Atomic Bomberman.....

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
I almost screamed "OBSIDIAN GET FALLOUT" but then I realised Fallout franchise has already been snatched and ruined by Bethesda.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
ffronw said:
Brain Fargo
I thought his name was Pinky Fargo?

MCerberus said:
Just for fun, imagine EA buys and makes a mobile game of each property
You have very interesting definition of the word "fun".

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Of course they're selling them off. I heard of this magical land called "Public Domain" which is where Intellectual Properties were supposed to go after the companies that created them died off, but apparently I just imagined it.

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Interplay is still a company?

This is good news though, maybe we can get a new Earthworm Jim, and did I see Dark Alliance on that list? Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance? Oh dear lord, make another please! I loved that ps2 gem. (I have looked for number 2, but can't find it in old used game stores).

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fulbert said:
I almost screamed "OBSIDIAN GET FALLOUT" but then I realised Fallout franchise has already been snatched and ruined by Bethesda.
That's a matter of opinion.

The business side of "Who Owns Fallout?" has been appalling, but ruined? No. Nothing suggests that, outside of the ramblings of a No Mutants Allowed forum with basis on 'Reasons' and little else.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Hooray! Can't wait to see DLC and microtransactions in my childhood favorites.

#sad

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Fulbert said:

The business side of "Who Owns Fallout?" has been appalling, but ruined? No. Nothing suggests that, outside of the ramblings of a No Mutants Allowed forum with basis on 'Reasons' and little else.
I suppose you are right. There's no need to be upset about Bethesda hijacking Fallout. After all, we did get New Vegas, a fitting closure for a great franchise which can now be finally put to rest. Which is more than can be said about Half-Life, for instance. Maybe it should've been sold to Bethesda, too.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Fulbert said:
FalloutJack said:
Fulbert said:

I suppose you are right. There's no need to be upset about Bethesda hijacking Fallout. After all, we did get New Vegas, a fitting closure for a great franchise which can now be finally put to rest. Which is more than can be said about Half-Life, for instance. Maybe it should've been sold to Bethesda, too.
It IS bad that Bethesda went through that terrible debacle with Interplay over this shit. I hated that. However, I have also enjoyed the games. It's an ambivalent issue.