Wii U and Vita Versions of Hyper Light Drifter Canceled

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Wii U and Vita Versions of Hyper Light Drifter Canceled

Heart Machine's Alex Preston announced that the Wii U and Vita ports of Hyper Light Drifter have been canceled.

In a Kickstarter update [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter/posts/1675572] today, developer Heart Machine's Alex Preston announced that the Wii U and Vita ports of Hyper Light Drifter are being canceled. Preston explained that the cancellation is due largely to issues with both his health and the game's engine - in order to release the game on the two platforms, it would need to be rebuilt from scratch.

Those who backed the game on Kickstarter and selected either the Wii U or Vita option can get a code for PC, PlayStation 4, or Xbox one, or they can opt for a full refund.

Hyper Light Drifter in July [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/16981-Hyper-Light-Drifter-Review#&gid=gallery_6124&pid=1].

[gallery=6468]

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
I'm really surprised Game Maker hasn't been updated to work with Nintendo platforms. This was the exact same problem Toby Fox had with Undertale.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
ProfMcStevie said:
If the Wii U gets any more nails in the coffin it's going to be a Iron Maiden eventually.
I kind of feel like Nintendo put the final nail in that coffin themselves as soon as they announced the NX. The fact that this keeps happening and Wii U ports are terribly broken just sort of leave most people hoping it will die sooner. It's especially sad considering that Nintendo promoted the system during its development as having more 3rd party support than the Wii did. Instead I feel like it had less. =(

I thought the gamepad was a great idea, but it seems like developers just keep bungling Touch-Screen technology to the point where game developers just flat out ignore it, and the touch-screens just serve as an extra hassle for anyone developing for whatever system utilizes them to the extent that the Wii U and the Vita did.

KaraFang

Aug 3, 2015
He looks very pale, I hope he's okay.... Looks like Hyperlight took a LOT of out him even for the platforms it was released on.

Nobody should work themselves to death.

Poor guy.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Sheo_Dagana said:
I thought the gamepad was a great idea, but it seems like developers just keep bungling Touch-Screen technology to the point where game developers just flat out ignore it,
The gamepad was an absolutely terrible idea.

You do not force the player to constantly look up and down, near and far, near and far. It's recipe for a head ache, frustration and little else. Developers mostly ignored it because they recognised how unnatural and uncomfortable a way to play a video game it represented.

It's only practical use was as a dashboard or menu, but even then a pull up menu or hot button works a lot better.

Nintendo could have helped the Wii U by abandoning the touch pad and dropping the price (similar to the Xbone and Kinect), instead even as late as this year they were forcing through disasters like Starfox 0, which was unplayable even to a rail shooter addict like me.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Sheo_Dagana said:
ProfMcStevie said:
If the Wii U gets any more nails in the coffin it's going to be a Iron Maiden eventually.
I kind of feel like Nintendo put the final nail in that coffin themselves as soon as they announced the NX. The fact that this keeps happening and Wii U ports are terribly broken just sort of leave most people hoping it will die sooner. It's especially sad considering that Nintendo promoted the system during its development as having more 3rd party support than the Wii did. Instead I feel like it had less. =(

I thought the gamepad was a great idea, but it seems like developers just keep bungling Touch-Screen technology to the point where game developers just flat out ignore it, and the touch-screens just serve as an extra hassle for anyone developing for whatever system utilizes them to the extent that the Wii U and the Vita did.
I feel a lot worse about the Vita than the Wii U, as an owner of both.

Anyone can disagree witht he following but don't jump down my throat for it:

I feel the Wii U was screwed from the out for a variety of reasons such as it's poor line-up on launch, the confusing half assed marketing, Nintendo's hubris, the mediocre build quality for the price of the thing around launch (the face buttons rattle, the triggers are digital and kind of shit, the sticks are kinda crappy and the click on them requires too much force to actuate, the gamepad is comfy to hold, but it does not feel like a premium product), the price of the system at launch, the weak specs, etc. Part of it was 3rd parties jumping ship, but almost all of the issues can be traced to Nintendo dropping the ball.

Now some of that does apply to the Vita, it was marketed like shit, expensive and fucked by it's creators with proprietary bullshit, but at least it feels like a solid premium device that was designed with care and attention. The only tragedy is Sony doesn't see the potential and the larger part of it's library is Atlus games and indie titles and thus it lacks mainstream appeal.

Oh and the Wii U doesn't have enough online co-op. Why the hell does Mario 3D World not have online co-op? I'd play the shit out of that mode!

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
You do not force the player to constantly look up and down, near and far, near and far. It's recipe for a head ache, frustration and little else.
I thought it was a good workout for eyes to reduce eyestrain caused by staring into the same distance for a prolonged period of time. At least that is what my father used to teach me to do when I was small.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Fulbert said:
I thought it was a good workout for eyes to reduce eyestrain caused by staring into the same distance for a prolonged period of time. At least that is what my father used to teach me to do when I was small.
Stopping and having a break every 45 minutes or so and just looking around normally is what you should do. Trying to look rapidly back and forth between two fixed focal distances is exactly the worst thing for eye strain. The extreme change in focal length is constantly forcing you eye's various muscles to contract and relax, it's like lifting weights but for your eyes.

You can try it at home, get a book or a tablet set in your lap at reading distance with some text, then get the same passage of text on your PC or TV a few metres away. Read one line on the tablet, then the next line on the screen, then the next line back on the tablet and so on. You won't be able to do it for very long before your vision goes wonky.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Fulbert said:
Stopping and having a break every 45 minutes or so and just looking around normally is what you should do. Trying to look rapidly back and forth between two fixed focal distances is exactly the worst thing for eye strain. The extreme change in focal length is constantly forcing you eye's various muscles to contract and relax, it's like lifting weights but for your eyes.

You can try it at home, get a book or a tablet set in your lap at reading distance with some text, then get the same passage of text on your PC or TV a few metres away. Read one line on the tablet, then the next line on the screen, then the next line back on the tablet and so on. You won't be able to do it for very long before your vision goes wonky.
You know... most people should have a lot of practice doing just that. as someome who went to school from the age of 7 I have been faced with the challenge that teachers write down stuff on the backboard on the far side of the room while I write things down in my notebook which is right below my head. And during a day at school you generally do this all day, evey day for years. And msot games don't actually to look down all the time. The main problem with it is that it was never used properly. Nintendo Land and Zombie U showed its potential. Star Fox tried to force it in just to scream "Look, we still use the GamePad! It wasn't a bad idea to use it at all".

I also frequently do play games on my 3DS while watching TV. It's not a problem.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
There's already a whole horse load of shit he failed to deliver on that he promised so this wasn't unexpected nor is it particularly egregious. Wins a huge MEH from me.

Jsan the Candyman

Sep 5, 2014
ProfMcStevie said:
I'm all for a console turning into an 80s hair band. Just imagine the EPs we'll get out of the deal, Browser Be Thy Name, Zelda High, Sonic: Run for the Hills, Flight of Icarus, ect.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Sheo_Dagana said:
ProfMcStevie said:

It has the same problem as the Vita, it's actually a really unique and strong console, but they just won't make any fucking games.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
Sheo_Dagana said:
I thought the gamepad was a great idea, but it seems like developers just keep bungling Touch-Screen technology to the point where game developers just flat out ignore it,
The gamepad was an absolutely terrible idea.

You do not force the player to constantly look up and down, near and far, near and far. It's recipe for a head ache, frustration and little else. Developers mostly ignored it because they recognised how unnatural and uncomfortable a way to play a video game it represented.

It's only practical use was as a dashboard or menu, but even then a pull up menu or hot button works a lot better.

Nintendo could have helped the Wii U by abandoning the touch pad and dropping the price (similar to the Xbone and Kinect), instead even as late as this year they were forcing through disasters like Starfox 0, which was unplayable even to a rail shooter addict like me.
It actually works really good as fast travel Map/resource management in Xenoblade Chronicles X, though thats the only game i've ever seen that made good use of it