Despite Rumors, Sony Will Not Charge for PS4 Pro Update Patches

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Despite Rumors, Sony Will Not Charge for PS4 Pro Update Patches

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1348/1348493.jpgYou won't have to pay for game updates that bring 4K and HDR to games on PS4 Pro.

Rumors were swirling early today that Sony might charge players for updates to existing games that add features for the recently-announced Kotaku [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168347-PlayStation-4-Pro-Unveiled], Sony was being called out by gamers on social media. Many were saying that this would cause them to not purchase the PS4 Pro.

The translated report quoted Sony Interactive Entertainment Executive Vice President Masayasu Ito. When asked whether 4K and/or HDR patches would be free, Ito supposedly replied that, "it will be different for each title," and that it would depend on "the thinking of each licensee." When asked about first-party games, Ito reportedly said, "I think it will vary for each one of our titles."

Happily, the outcry over PS4 Pro updates has turned out to be for naught. Sony has told NeoGAF [http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/9/12861310/ps4-pro-4k-hdr-patch-fee] saying that developers "are not allowed to charge you for patches or [PS4 Pro] feature updates," and that "There is nothing we can do to leverage pro features or patches with price. Nothing."

This is good news, especially for Sony, as they had already been hammered on social media today with the uproar over the announcement that the PS4 versions of Skyrim and Fallout 4 will not be getting mod support [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168364-Bethesda-Says-Sony-Wont-Approve-Fallout-4-Skyrim-Mods-on-PS4]. It's likely that the issue arose when something was, as they say, "lost in translation."

The PS4 Pro will be a more powerful version of the console, with support for 4K video and HDR lighting, but it get more info here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168349-PS4-Pro-no-4k-Blu-Ray-Support].

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Jesus, Sony said some really dumb shit during these last few days but if this one was true then they would have topped themselfs.

It was a really unlikely rumor.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
That would have been piss poor and a bit of a cock move if they did that. Sony, you aren't Apple. You cant pull stupid shit and get away with it by fans.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
That is a really weird question to ask for the interview don't you think? Since when has charging for patches ever come across anybody's mind?

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Well duh. Charging for patches would kill this console before it even hit the shelves, even Sony aren't that foolish.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
That is a really weird question to ask for the interview don't you think? Since when has charging for patches ever come across anybody's mind?
Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if things eventually went that route.

Jan 12, 2012
The Enquirer said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Honestly, it wouldn't shock me if things eventually went that route.
If anyone tried, it would kill them. Nobody is going to cough up extra to play a game they already own, on a console that is practically identical to the one they already have.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
This is getting to Xbox One reveal levels of mixed messaging. Having to pay more to have games patched to make use of premium hardware leaves a sour taste. I'd hope no publisher attempts to charge any "Pro mode" patches but these days I wouldn't be surprised if a least one of them tries it.

I've yet to get a PS4 and nothing I've since so far on the Pro and Slim have made me want to rush out and get one. I'll wait to see how this pans out when the difference between games on the Pro and normal PS4 is better quantified.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
When will people finally nail the coffin for this sad farce called 'gaming console'?

It once was a great idea that ended with the PS2, perhaps PSP at the lastest and the NDS.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
BloodRed Pixel said:
When will people finally nail the coffin for this sad farce called 'gaming console'?

It once was a great idea that ended with the PS2, perhaps PSP at the lastest and the NDS.
When they start trying to charge for updates.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
That people are considering this being true is really telling. And the people are not to blame for this.

Fortunately, the industry isn't a bubble as a whole. But certain companies are undermining its solidity so much that, like a bubble on a road, it will damage a lot more than just the spot it built up when it bursts. And SONY is building roads made of yeast or something.

Why are those big companies getting so cocky that people consider things like this within THE SAME generation? Is this influencing the shares that much?

Anyway, good this doesn't happen (anytime soon).

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
You won't have to pay for game updates that bring 4K and HDR to games on PS4 Pro.
why would Sony charge for that? Surely it would be the developer that would charge for the HD or remastered version of the game, weather it was done via a patch or, as it is at the moment via a so called rerelease of game. I mean just how many remastered games have we had this year alone.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2016/05/16/definitive-evolving-list-new-gen-remaster-hd-remake-.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

That article has 9 pages worth of remasters alone and all of them have been pretty much higher res, touched up graphics and little else. How many developers are going to launch patches for their already released games to bring the res and graphics up to a new standard when it is clear the cow is waiting at the milk machine ready to have it's HD Remaster rerelease udders squeezed?

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Xsjadoblayde said:
I dunno. It sounds like they were asking if the devs were gonna get charged.