Day Z Creator Dean Hall is Working on a New Multiplayer Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Day Z Creator Dean Hall is Working on a New Multiplayer Game

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1349/1349715.jpgDean Hall is working on a new game, and it's being funded by Chinese online gaming company Tencent.

It wasn't that long ago that Dean Hall was the toast of the modding world. As the creator behind Day Z, one of the most popular ARMA 2 mods of all time, Hall went on to have his mod taken up as a standalone game. He eventually ended up taking a job with Bohemia Interactive, which he left in late 2014 to form his own studio, RocketWerkz.

Now Hall is working on a new triple-A game, and it's being funded by Chinese online gaming company Tencent, but it isn't publishing the new game - it's an investor in Rocketwerkz. Hall spoke with Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-14-dean-hall-rocketwerkz-dayz-multiplayer-new-game] about the new title, but he was not very forthcoming with any details about the new project.

"What I will say is it's multiplayer," Hall said. "We're really drawing a line in the sand here and saying ... that's where we want to be planting our flag in the ground; carving out new territory in terms of new multiplayer genres, or re-purposing different parts of other genres."

"I believe it's a gap in the market. For that reason I'm going to be pretty coy about exact specifics of it - also because of expectations and how experimental we are at the moment. I need to be deliberately coy; I need to avoid a kind of War Z situation."

There's no word on when we might see more about Hall's new game, but it's definitely ambitious, and it sounds like he's learned a bit about managing expectations and hype as well. Fans of DayZ would be well-served to keep an eye on his progress.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Here's to this new game that will be 20% completed before being sold to a company with no interest in finishing it while selling it at full price while a legal and free version of the game exists that is objectively superior.

Seriously, the popularity of the stand alone DayZ game is a defiance of most economic theories. It's not even a similar product, it's the literal same one but with a better and free version of it out there that's somehow less popular.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Holy shit the balls on this guy.

Abandoned a project in Early Access?

Thinks he sees a niche that can be filled?

Involved with fucking Tencent?

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
Here's hoping it flops. It's already proven he can't really think of anything creative to make.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Well, let's hope he eventually reaches the point where he's willing to say more, because if you're assuming that multiplayer is a "gap in the market", you're not paying the least bit of attention.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
So...the dayZ for consoles are no longer happening then? Lovely.
Chinese online gaming company. Oh god, that's multiple levels of shite already. Gap in the market to fill? So this isn't a project of passion then? Keep chasing that dolla dude.

Atratzu

Aug 14, 2016
Well that was clear as mud. It'll be interesting to see what game his team makes.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
What happened to his Ion project? I hope he hasn't dumped that idea aswell. I was looking forward to it because it was supposed to be in the same vein as Space Station 13 which as great as it is, is in dire need of a platform upgrade.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
gigastar said:

Worth pointing out, DayZ standalone is nothing to do with him and never has been.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Adultratedhydra said:
Worth pointing out, DayZ standalone is nothing to do with him and never has been.
He is credited as the designer for the standalone version of the game. At least before he left it.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
Adultratedhydra said:
gigastar said:

Aside from you know, being the original lead designer before he left in 2014.

I wonder if this is going to be that dumb multiplayer mountain climbing game he really wanted to make around the time he left.

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA Fuck you Mr Hall, Fuck you for abandoning your co-workers and fans of the mod you "created" the moment that something more tantalizing popped up...and yes I will be pissed off because I am sick of Charltons like him

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Im glad he made this announcement. Reminded me how DayZ STILL isn't finished and that I should remove it from my Steam wishlist before some poor soul ends up possibly buying it for me.