The NX Will Have Pokemon Games, Mix Hand-Held And Console

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The NX Will Have Pokemon Games, Mix Hand-Held And Console

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1292/1292581.jpg
The Pokemon Company chief executive Tsunekazu Ishihara says the NX "is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device."

The Wall Street Journal [http://www.wsj.com/articles/pokemon-to-create-games-for-nintendos-next-system-1474371834] is reporting some interesting news from The Pokemon Company chief executive Tsunekazu Ishihara. First up, Ishihara confirms that his company will indeed make Pokemon games for the NX, but what's really interesting is how he talks about the upcoming console itself, seemingly confirming reports that it will be a kind of hand-held/home console hybrid.

"The NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device," said Ishihara. "We will make games for the NX." Ishihara didn't say whether or not the games would be available at launch, or if they would be "main series" Pokemon games like Pokemon GO [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/pokemon%20sun%20and%20moon?os=pokemon+sun+and+moon] has caused both The Pokemon Company and Nintendo to approach the subject with renewed fervor.

"I feel like the reaction [to Pokemon GO] we saw was 10 times or even 100 times bigger than we expected."

Ishihara then talked a little about Pokemon GO, again confirming that the much-requested features of player battles and trading are indeed coming in future patches, but will be added slowly as to not overwhelm new players. "It's important to really carefully consider any feature that may increase the difficulty and raise the barrier to entry for more casual users."

Source: The Wall Street Journal [http://www.wsj.com/articles/pokemon-to-create-games-for-nintendos-next-system-1474371834]

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
More casual than casual? Reminds me of a White Zombie song....

OT - will believe the NX hype when something is seen in the wild. Until then, I'm not thinking too much about it.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
JUST FUCKING SHOW IT TO US ALREADY!

My god, this is so annoying.

If you show it to us sooner, you can fix anything wrong with it sooner after we tell you whats wrong with it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Oh the coy factor. :p

Still, I may be enticed to buy into this one... Provided the good old student budget isn't at a low ebb when it launches.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
Nintendo is doing it again... the same nonsense they did with the Wii U.. everyone knows it... even nintendo admitted it... so why are they still doing it?

Just what the flying fuck is the NX? A console? A handheld? Another painfully clunky mix of the two?

When Microsoft and Sony release a console atleast we know the hardware stats a looooooong time before software is taken into consideration.

Nintendo on the other hand seems to think that going "maybe it will this, maybe it will be that... maybe it will be everything and nothing" is a great marketing strategy.... and in the end it will be an undergeared console with no 3rd party support because Nintendos old man brigade at the top still has that illusion of grandeur around them because they still believe that companies like capcom still belong to the big ones in the world and that the days of the SNES have never ended...

But hey! It will have pokemon! Because thats sensational news... next you gonna tell me it will have a new mario/zelda/othernintendoproperty too? Get out....

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Karadalis said:
it will be an undergeared console with no 3rd party support
There's already third party support. In fact there's been confirmed third party support for quite a while now. It's also worth mentioning that Nintendo still have metric fuck-ton of money (they reported a larger profit in the last quarter than Sony) and are well aware that their system is a failure. Also, when did Nintendo admit that they were doing the same thing as the Wii U?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Karadalis said:
Nintendo is doing it again... the same nonsense they did with the Wii U.. everyone knows it... even nintendo admitted it... so why are they still doing it?

Just what the flying fuck is the NX? A console? A handheld? Another painfully clunky mix of the two?

When Microsoft and Sony release a console atleast we know the hardware stats a looooooong time before software is taken into consideration.

Nintendo on the other hand seems to think that going "maybe it will this, maybe it will be that... maybe it will be everything and nothing" is a great marketing strategy.... and in the end it will be an undergeared console with no 3rd party support because Nintendos old man brigade at the top still has that illusion of grandeur around them because they still believe that companies like capcom still belong to the big ones in the world and that the days of the SNES have never ended...

But hey! It will have pokemon! Because thats sensational news... next you gonna tell me it will have a new mario/zelda/othernintendoproperty too? Get out....

BTW, I haven't forgotten your little Project M stunt(s), Nintendo. Fuck you.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well duh. Based on what little we know, it would obviously have proper Pokemon games on it. It couldn't be a handheld Nintendo product if it didn't. But also being a console means it will have Mario games and such.

I'm with the general consensus. Nintendo is telling us nothing and acting like they are telling us everything. The console launches in a few months and do we even know what it looks like? By this time, Sony and Microsoft had shown a ton more about their new consoles and we were already (rightfully) pissed at Microsoft's anti-consumer moves.

This is just the Wii U all over. Terrible advertisement that tells us next to nothing about what we're buying.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm gonna be honest, the Wall Street Journal is a useless source of information for videogame news. Here is the thing, they don't ask any questions. My first question would be: Do you have anything concrete to say about it or are you just going to stick to ambiguities?

The NX is trying to change the concept of what it means to be a home console device or a hand-held device
This doesn't mean anything to anyone. If anyone buys a console based on this nonsensical mess of a statement, they are a truly new kind of stupid. And it's like they are treating people like they are stupid as well. I almost put a deposit down on one of these, but then I thought to myself, "wait a sec, what do I really know about it". At this point it's all unknown unknowns.

I would also like to point out the issue is that if a game is on a handheld device and it's good, people will sit in their home and play it. People who want to play games will play them where they can. It's not like "handheld" gaming is restricted to only being allowed in the car, there is no magical sensor that makes it not work if it detects you are not in your house.

Detroit

Dec 22, 2012
Wrex Brogan said:
...Console Pokemon games again?

*slips Nintendo a twenty*

So listen, about the Orre Region...
Ey Nintendo, don't listen this guy.

*Slips two Bulbasors*

Remember Fiore, Almia and Oblivia? You know what to do eh *Slaps Nintendo's face*.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Can they just come out and officially tell us what the hell it is and how it's supposed to work? It supposedly launches in a handful of months now.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Kibeth41 said:
Karadalis said:
Gotta correct you on this, because literally nothing in this paragraph is true. There's nothing similar between the NX and Wii U announcement.

First, Nintendo never admitted to being too secretive about the console pre announcement. They admitted that the information given at the announcement was terrible.

Second, the Wii U was announced by this point. The Wii U was announced April 2011, released November 2012. 19 month window. The NX still hasn't been announced, and is slated for a March 2017 release. 6 month window.

Third, one of the key factors for the Wii U's failure was trying to survive on third party support. They partnered with devs like Ubisoft at launch with the plan for them to bring games to the Wii U. Ubisoft released substandard ports, cancelled games and even delayed the supposed-to-be-exclusive Rayman Legends for about 7 months, even though it was literally ready to ship.

Fourth, if it's a handheld, it's going to be underpowered. Fortunately, we already know it'll run Breath of the Wild as a benchmark. There's not actually any reason for the public to know its hardware. Literally the only ones who need to know are devs like Platinum Games. It's likely they do know, and are under a NDA. If not, well, then that sucks.

And finally, there's seemingly no comparison between the Xbox One and PS4, anymore. If it's a home/handheld hybrid, then it's going to be aimed at a separate demographic to PS4/Xbox/PC. Where the Wii U tried to penetrate a market already competed by many competitors, the NX will seemingly just take over the one already dominated by the 3DS... A console which is already uncomparable to home consoles.
This too.