Subnautica's Dangerous Creatures Update is Now Live

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Subnautica's Dangerous Creatures Update is Now Live

As if we needed more reasons to be terrified of the ocean...

Unknown World's official site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/subnautica?os=%20subnautica] for the full patch notes.

Essentially, this update adds two new creatures: the Sea Dragon Leviathan and the Warper, tweaks and adds variants of a couple of existing creatures: the Ray and the Crabsquid, and adds two new zones while it's at it: the tree cove and the final abandoned base. The Sea Dragon in particular is absolutely horrifying, and I hope I never run into one while playing.

Subnautica was first released on Steam back in 2014 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139116-Subnautica-is-a-New-Underwater-Exploration-FPS-From-Natural-Selection-2-Devs#&gid=gallery_3652&pid=1] as an early access title, and has been slowly receiving updates since. The developers have been very transparent on the whole process, and its definetely worth checking out.

[gallery=6521]

Subnautica has been featured on The Escapist stream [https://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine] in the past, and I will endeavor to stream gameplay from the new update in the very near future, so stay tuned!

Source: Unknown Worlds [http://unknownworlds.com/subnautica/dangerous-creatures/]

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Ive played it myself and its one of those early access games worth picking up already

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I'm one of those people that absolutely hates being underwater in games
and hate encountering terrifying things while underwater
so while this game actually looks super interesting and fun
I'll skip until they add a minecraft peaceful style mode

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Death Carr said:
Good news, the sea dragon leviathan is very deep and hard to get to.
This is the reaper leviathan. One of your first instincts upon crashing on this alien world might be to go investigate the ship you arrived in. Those things spawn around it. You WILL wreck your pants.

That said this is one of those examples of early access done right, a solid game that gets built on regularly.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
Death Carr said:
That mode already exists, it's called "Creative Mode" where nothing can hurt you and you have unlimited resources.
I've been Aquaphobic in Video Games ever since I got traumatized by an Ichthyosaur in Half-Life.
This game has gone a long way to curing me of that.... until I got jumped by the aforementioned Reaper Leviathan.
Since then shock therapy has been working, that is I've been shocking the damn thing with a mini-sub mounted taser every time it comes close.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Halyah said:
Looks nice, but I'll admit I've no idea what the game is about. Seen it on the featured list on steam a fair bit though.
In a few more updates the story should be complete, basically your spaceship is shot down and you need to do a bunch of things to disable the gun that did it and eventually escape the planet. Most of the game is underwater which is a nice unique environment for a game.

TheSYLOH said:
Death Carr said:
That mode already exists, it's called "Creative Mode" where nothing can hurt you and you have unlimited resources.
I've been Aquaphobic in Video Games ever since I got traumatized by an Ichthyosaur in Half-Life.
This game has gone a long way to curing me of that.... until I got jumped by the aforementioned Reaper Leviathan.
Since then shock therapy has been working, that is I've been shocking the damn thing with a mini-sub mounted taser every time it comes close.
You just posted that as a review to :)

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Halyah said:
Looks nice, but I'll admit I've no idea what the game is about. Seen it on the featured list on steam a fair bit though.
TLDR, Open World Survival Game.

Slightly longer answer, you are the survivor of a crashed Starship, you have to survive and figure out a way to either escape or call for help. Of course, being set in the same universe as Natural Selection (and made by the same guys) the story rapidly gets more complicated than just 'find parts, escape,' not to mention quite a bit darker.

A goodly chunk of the plot is already in the game and it's shaping up to be interesting. Definitely one to watch out for when they finish it.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm looking forward to getting the game once it's finished (haven't yet because I want to see the game as it is meant to be rather than play with the pieces while they stitch it together). I have been enjoying watching Markiplier play it so much, though.

I'm starting to get the vibe that this game will be far closer to what No Man's Sky was supposed to be than No Man's Sky will ever get to at this point.