The First Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Story DLC is Live Today

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The First Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Story DLC is Live Today

In the first story DLC for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Adam Jensen reunites with his Sarif Industries colleague, Frank Pritchard.

First announced in early September [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168313-First-Deus-Ex-Mankind-Divided-DLC-Features-Return-of-Frank-Pritchard], System Rift is the first story DLC for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. It will feature the return of a familiar face for fans of the previous Deus Ex title - Frank Pritchard.

The former Sarif Industries cyber-security chief wants Adam Jensen to help him crack one of the most secure data banks in existence: the Palisade Blade. Taking on this mission also offers Jensen a chance to find more information on the shadowy Illuminati.

System Rift is available now on PC, PS4, and Xbox One for $11.99.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
Wait, what? They had to delay the base game's release 6 months but they already have a finished piece of story DLC out? So was this crapped out in no time at all, ripped out of the main game to be sold as seperate dlc, or did they take resources from the main game to make this early thereby causing that huge delay?

Either way scummy move Squenix given all the other crap you've already pulled with this game. Really feel bad for the devs who made, by most accounts, a very good game and then had to watch as their publisher effectively destroyed their hard work through a series of pathetically greedy decisions.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Man, that was quick. If I didn't know any better, I would hazard a guess that squeenix may have sliced up the game for more profit and are taking their customer base for complete fools. Oh wait a minute, no I don't.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
DLC story takes place within a location that the base game has you breaking in to, not once but twice... colour me uninterested in this clearly cut from the main game piece of DLC.

Samos205

Dec 14, 2011
Country
New Zealand
Laughing Man said:
DLC story takes place within a location that the base game has you breaking in to, not once but twice... colour me uninterested in this clearly cut from the main game piece of DLC.
Pretty sure they mean the palisade blades which you see in the background but never actually visit, not the palisade property bank which you do actually visit on multiple occasions

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Battenberg said:
Wait, what? They had to delay the base game's release 6 months but they already have a finished piece of story DLC out? So was this crapped out in no time at all, ripped out of the main game to be sold as seperate dlc, or did they take resources from the main game to make this early thereby causing that huge delay?

Either way scummy move Squenix given all the other crap you've already pulled with this game. Really feel bad for the devs who made, by most accounts, a very good game and then had to watch as their publisher effectively destroyed their hard work through a series of pathetically greedy decisions.
It could also be neither, the staff that would make something like this might not have been involved in the delay at all, if the game was delayed for optimization or squashing critical bugs, or even just didn't need the DLC staff to work on it, the staff that would have created something like this might have had nothing to do if they weren't working on the DLC. The entire reason this DLC came out so fast may indeed be because the delay gave them the opportunity to work on it, where the original plan might have been to release the DLC months after release, the delay gave them the opportunity to have it done or almost done by the time the game launched.

Or you could be right, but even with Square-Enix's track record, I would put more stock into the idea that their meddling was mostly in stretching the story out for the sequels, this DLC seems disconnected enough from the main story that I doubt it was anything other than planned DLC content from the start.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
EternallyBored said:
Battenberg said:

It could also be neither, the staff that would make something like this might not have been involved in the delay at all, if the game was delayed for optimization or squashing critical bugs, or even just didn't need the DLC staff to work on it, the staff that would have created something like this might have had nothing to do if they weren't working on the DLC. The entire reason this DLC came out so fast may indeed be because the delay gave them the opportunity to work on it, where the original plan might have been to release the DLC months after release, the delay gave them the opportunity to have it done or almost done by the time the game launched.

Or you could be right, but even with Square-Enix's track record, I would put more stock into the idea that their meddling was mostly in stretching the story out for the sequels, this DLC seems disconnected enough from the main story that I doubt it was anything other than planned DLC content from the start.
This might help put things into a different light;

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Pretty sure they mean the palisade blades which you see in the background but never actually visit, not the palisade property bank which you do actually visit on multiple occasions
Ahhhh well, hmm not sure how I feel about this one now

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
This might help put things into a different light;

WHen I said stretching the story out for the sequels, Jim's video is exactly what I was referring to, the DLC is disconnected enough, and I've played through most of it already, that I don't think this particular piece of content was ever planned to be in the base game.

According to Jim's source, the main split seems to have happened early on, with planning going into the sequel well before the main game was finished. For all of square-enix's shitty meddling: microtransactions, breach mode, the stupid augment your pre-order scheme, etc. it seems like the DLC is at least still proper DLC and not like the pre-order mission, something that was obviously originally part of the main story line.