The 38 Studios Case is Coming to a Close as Curt Schilling and Other Execs Reach Settlement

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The 38 Studios Case is Coming to a Close as Curt Schilling and Other Execs Reach Settlement

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1351/1351690.jpgThe legal battle over a Rhode Island loan to 38 Studios looks to finally be nearing its conclusion.

After four years, it looks like the lawsuit between the state of Rhode Island and 38 Studios will finally be resolved soon, reports the passed a bill [https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/09/19/former-red-sox-pitcher-curt-schilling-agrees-studios-settlement/yqURr2k3MbYLKRsPUtCtFP/story.html] encouraging settlements in the 38 Studios case, and another settlement was made this week.

38 Studios founder and former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling and three other defendants from the studio have agreed to pay out a $2.5 million settlement. Of course, they won't be paying it individually. Instead, it will be paid by the Starr Indemnity and Liability Co., which insured 38 Studios.

The Rhode Island Commerce Corporation has asked the court to approve the settlement, as its lawyers feel that this amount would represent more than they could recoup if it won the case against the former game developer. The court filing reads,

"This is a highly unusual case in which it makes no economic sense whatsoever for the parties to proceed to trial rather than proceed with the proposed settlement."

As is typical for settlements in cases like this, it includes the defendants denying any liability, and admitting no wrongdoing. We already knew that there would be no criminal charges in this case, as was announced in August [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168078-Rhode-Island-Attorney-General-Will-Not-File-Criminal-Charges-in-38-Studios-Investigation target=].

If this settlement is approved by the court, the Rhode Island Commerce Court will have recouped about $45 million in settlements against the original $75 loan. One lawsuit is still outstanding - the one filed against 38 Studios financial adviser First Southwest Co.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Something about the relationships between local US politics alongside local large business firms alongside that new passed legislation makes me think there is a lot more to this agreement story than what is presented at face value.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Sad this happened. I liked Amalur. Biggest reason it bombed was timing. Most people were still playing Skyrim.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
RaikuFA said:
Sad this happened. I liked Amalur. Biggest reason it bombed was timing. Most people were still playing Skyrim.
I thought the biggest reason it bombed was because they went too big too fast. They were already gearing up to make an MMO before they even knew how to sell it. The profit model was very risky and involved too much of an investment to be considered something a state should get involved in.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
weirdee said:
RaikuFA said:
I thought the biggest reason it bombed was because they went too big too fast. They were already gearing up to make an MMO before they even knew how to sell it. The profit model was very risky and involved too much of an investment to be considered something a state should get involved in.
I always assumed it was cause everyone was still hyped up on Skyrim.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
I recalled it didn't do too badly but they were more interested in making a wow style mmo and even the modest success of amateur wasn't anywhere near enough so they needed a new loan and didn't get it.

Amateur was a pretty decent game, it's because problem was being absurdly easy and being very generic.

Jaymer 161

Nov 21, 2014
Finally, now can I get it Free With Gold you lazy fucks? I'd play it again, but I know it's not worth $12. I'll meet you halfway even and buy the DLC.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
RaikuFA said:
KoA really had nothing to do with the studio folding. It actually sold quite well for a new IP, and would have merited a sequel if 38 Studios hadn't already squandered colossal amounts of money on an MMO pipe-dream.

MMOs are the blockbusters of the video game world. That's widely known these days, but it wasn't nearly as obvious way back in 2006, which - for context - was when Schilling decided he was going to make the next World of Warcraft.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Kinda sad story. I got Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning from the PSPlus a good while back and found it pretty good. The story was kind of interesting with some lore about everyone's fate being pre-determined and I really liked the combat. Shame their business sense was a bit off.

Jaymer 161 said:
Finally, now can I get it Free With Gold you lazy fucks? I'd play it again, but I know it's not worth $12. I'll meet you halfway even and buy the DLC.
I'd be careful about that. I liked the game and all, but when I bought one of the DLCs it was bugged and I couldn't start the DLC's first quest that started the story.

Don't know how common that bug is, but with the dev being pretty much gone, you won't get any patch for it. Maybe the PC has a fix, but honestly, probably not worth the trouble.

$15 down the drain. xp