Update - You May Have Received 11 Free Overwatch Loot Boxes

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update - You May Have Received 11 Free Overwatch Loot Boxes

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1352/1352907.jpg
Due to a bug, many Overwatch players are being rewarded 11 free loot boxes.

Update: A Blizzard representative has confirmed to us that players who mistakenly received the 11 free loot boxes can go ahead and open them without fear of repercussion.

Original Story: Did you log onto Overwatch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/overwatch] recently and discover that you had 11 unopened loot boxes that you don't remember buying? According to Blizzard, a bug has awarded a bunch of free loot to many players, and the good news is, you get to keep them!

Essentially, the loot boxes were intended as an apology for players on the South East Asian Overwatch servers. The servers were targeted by DDoS attacks, and have been fairly intermittent over the last few weeks. However, a bug on Blizzard's side has been awarding the boxes to players in other regions. Personally, I am on the Australian region and I was awarded the boxes. Some friends of mine on the North American region were also awarded the boxes.

While Blizzard has yet to make an official statement some reddit users [https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/54z9j0/if_you_recieved_11_free_loot_boxes_today_its_a/] have spoken to Overwatch game masters, who have told them, "You can totally open them and enjoy the loot in them! It's a bug on our side, so while I know it's alarming, they were sent for free, and are yours to keep."

We have reached out to Blizzard for official confirmation, but it seems highly unlikely that it will be taking back the loot boxes, or punishing players for opening them, so if you were one of the lucky ones, then enjoy!

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
No luck on my end, though it's good to hear that the people who got them getting to keep them.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Didn't get a Legendary Skin, but got enough gold to buy one.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
nice mistake, but i rather have a fix for the lost to server and latency issues. it is better now but my ping is still high enough to cause some aggravating moments. problems i never had since day 1.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
It's not as though there's anything in those things that I want.

I've got 4000 coins, and nothing to spend them on. I got 1000 of those over the Summer Event, and yes, I'm still bitter.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I'll need to hop on Overwatch tomorrow to see if I got them. While I'm sure that Blizzard would have rather not had said bug occur, I'm sure that they're far too concerned about keeping their servers from imploding to really give a shit about something so minor.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Why yes, yes I do.

It's like Christmas!

SlumlordThanatos said:
I got 1000 of those over the Summer Event, and yes, I'm still bitter.
Heh. For me it was the opposite.

I got both the bloody Summer Event Tracer skins. Considering almost all the Summer Event stuff was ugly garbage I would have much preferred coins.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Zhukov said:
Why yes, yes I do.

It's like Christmas!

SlumlordThanatos said:

I got both the bloody Summer Event Tracer skins. Considering almost all the Summer Event stuff was ugly garbage I would have much preferred coins.
Only thing I WANTED as such was Symmetras ribbon emote. Didn't get it, but I at least didn't have the temptation to buy lootboxes to up my odds.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Windknight said:
Only thing I WANTED as such was Symmetras ribbon emote. Didn't get it, but I at least didn't have the temptation to buy lootboxes to up my odds.
I wanted the Mercy skin.

What I got instead was sets of currency, sprays, emotes, I think one highlight intro, and a bunch of vanilla skins that I either already had or didn't want (like the ugly ones with Widowmaker in a dress). I managed to grind out 40 levels, and I didn't get anything worthwhile.

What a way to run a railroad.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
SlumlordThanatos said:
Windknight said:
I wanted the Mercy skin.

What I got instead was sets of currency, sprays, emotes, I think one highlight intro, and a bunch of vanilla skins that I either already had or didn't want (like the ugly ones with Widowmaker in a dress). I managed to grind out 40 levels, and I didn't get anything worthwhile.

Lets hope they don't do the same for the halloween event (though I'm not hopeful), especially if they do the rumoured Mercy Witch skin

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
Windknight said:
I wanted the Mercy skin.

I like that it makes the summer games stuff genuinely rare. I didnt get a lot as I was a way on holiday during the summer games and couldnt play a lot.

What I did get was a tracer, a mercy skin and a couple of sprays and voice lines. Not many people have these now so they feel more special... rather than everyone wearing the same mariachi skin.

There is something about mercy. She is not a charecter I really play but I keep getting her 1000 skins in loot boxes.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
bjj hero said:
I like that it makes the summer games stuff genuinely rare. I didnt get a lot as I was a way on holiday during the summer games and couldnt play a lot.
Nothing wrong with some rarity.

I just don't think Blizzard thought this through when they implemented it. You see, whenever I see someone with that Mercy skin I wanted, or the American McCree skin I wanted, I don't assume they got lucky with loot box drops. I think, "I bet that guy dropped $200 on loot boxes, and probably didn't even get the one thing he really wanted."

I like to compare it to the holiday mounts in WoW. I have no problem with those, since there is no way to buy extra chances to get the mount. When you can use money to improve your odds, that's when things start getting...dicey.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Meanwhile I am an Australian who was wondering when they were going to acknowledge the issues that have been happening, and I got no boxes. Great system. Whats the bet they stopped giving them out to, because of the mistake boxes?

Did more reading, and in spite of being on the same servers and suffering the same issues, our government didn't stamp their feet at Blizzard, so we apparently don't get an apology. What a joke. "We're only sorry if your government might punish us."

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Zhukov said:
SlumlordThanatos said:

I kinda wanted the Korean D.Va, but didn't get it.

I got the Japanese Genji though, except I play a rubbish Genji... (I shouldn't be surprised by what I got / didn't get; being screwed over by an RNG is the story of my life)

Glongpre

Jun 11, 2013
Damn, didn't get them!

All I really wanted from the summer games was the Zarya Olympic lifting profile pic. I like that it was a limited time, it makes them more unique. However, since a lot of people have hissy fits over this kind of thing, they said they would make it annual. So it will probably come back next summer for the same period.

I hope they add a Reinhart wrestling uniform model. That would be sweet.