141: How to Interview the Dead

Colin Rowsell

Jan 14, 2008
How to Interview the Dead

"Richard Feynman hangs in the air before me, just above the dirty dishes in the sink. He shimmers, shifts, the famous eyebrows drifting like smog. Behind him floats the Trinity nuclear test site, a swarm of nanobots, a sensory deprivation tank, the rubber seals of the Space Shuttle Challenger.

"Bongo drums. Topless bars. The hallucinatory curves of delectable young graduate students. Nobel Prize-winning scientists sure know how to pick 'em."

Read Full Article

klimas

Mar 18, 2008
... what was the point of this article? I'm serious. I honestly don't get why this made it into the Escapist.

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
I was about to agree and have a rant...but there's something quite beautifully poetic about this.

You say a lot without saying much at all, which, I think is what was the point. What my comrade above was expecting was something complex and focused, much like the astrophysicists and chemists you make reference to, only to be given something much more freeform and simple, something malliable and fluid to be thought of in its unique way.

Call it piddle and tosh if you wish, but frankly, you're just can't see the wood for the trees.

Beery

May 26, 2004
What the f*** was that? I've seen some nonsensical stuff in my time - I've even read Rudy Rucker's 'White Light', but this is ridiculous. Did some wacko shoot the editor and start greenlighting whatever garbage comes across his desk. I must have wasted at least 5 minutes on that article.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
cool13011 said:
Future reference for everyone else: If you're going to shit all over someone else's work, at the very least pretend you read the entire fucking thing before you waste more of our bandwidth.

Thaddeus

A Nobody in Somebody's Clothing
Mar 20, 2007
This article manages to take base, seemingly everyday words from the English language and stack or smash them together in such a way as to create a potent and palatable deliciousness.

I demand more Colin Roswell.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
I'm not big on gonzo journalism, but somehow this piece still worked for me. Still scratching my head about it, but it kept me reading.

-- Steve

Lara Crigger

Jul 11, 2006
I loved it. Love, love, love. Want to pick out invitations and flower arrangements love. It perfectly captured a specific feeling that I had about four years ago, when I was debating whether or not to leave the sciences to become a professional writer - down to the heated arguments with dead physicists. Sure, it's not exactly the same situation as Colin's - but the feelings and angst I had are right there, mirrored in Feynman's grinning face.

Seriously, awesome job Colin. I can see how this wouldn't speak to everyone, but it definitely spoke to me.

Elwro

Nov 27, 2007
Frankly, I don't like gaming-related articles here at the Escapist. But I read your newsletter and got tempted by the snippet of this article, which I've subsequently read and liked very much. Nostalgic, funny, smart. Congratulations!

Finnish(ed)

Mar 16, 2008
Sublime!

Although the subject matter did not exactly resonate with my current state of mind, I found the article funny as well as refreshing. Challenging the audience is a rare thing these days, when everything is designed for a specific target group or demographic. Challenge means discomfort and people, well they dislike it.

I enjoy anything that has been done with a little bit of originality, intellect and conviction, and this article fits that description.

sharp_as_a_cork

Oct 12, 2006
While an interesting experiment, this article did not really do it for me. Some of the links are interesting, though (spy bugs are coming!).

incoherent

May 7, 2007
Brian Name said:
I have no idea what just happened. But it kept me reading the entire time. I liked it.
I... think... it's telling us that our science isn't weird enough. But I'm not positive of that, and I think if I think about it any more it'll ruin the effect.

May 17, 2007
It's not an experiment, it's a distinct style. And it came out interesting, if a little eyebrow-raising. To me, the famous scientist's sassy ghost [http://dresdencodak.com/cartoons/dc_014.htm] is old hat, everyday stuff. But the constant mentioning of New Zealand? That was weird.

BTW, I love how the moderators around here are totally lacking in judicial restraint. Fair enough: internet forums are to rudeness what the world of Judge Dredd is to criminal mayhem.

Elwro said:
Frankly, I don't like gaming-related articles here at the Escapist.
Huh?