141: This Is Your Brain on Smart Drugs

Lara Crigger

Jul 11, 2006
This Is Your Brain on Smart Drugs

"Imagine the benefits, even just for the gaming community. No more choosing between late-night guild raids or sleep. Laser-sharp concentration for all those Halo matches. Even casual players could benefit, chemically amplifying their alertness while they go for that million-point combo in Bejeweled.

"But here's the dirty little secret: The pills are out there, just prescribed for different conditions. Healthy individuals are secretly taking drugs that fix ailing hearts and help kids with ADHD sit still in class, to make themselves smarter."

Read Full Article

Surggical_Scar

Feb 13, 2008
A rather disturbing look at pharma-culture, even opened my eyes to some things I didn't know.

The ethical debate over whether it's even right or fair to take performance-enhancing drugs in any situation is debatable, considering the effects those drugs have, both on the boyd and the user's personality. Could a drug change the very being of someone? The answer is most likely yes - after all, just taking drug addicts as an example, people sacrifice every last drop of their rational, stable selves in pursuit of that next chemical high.

It's a heavy issue, which will no doubt never find a resolution. Whilst intrigued in Transhumanism, I can't help but feel that this side of the debate has the potential to split an already pronounced societal gap wide open.

Dom Camus

Sep 8, 2006
What worries me is not the possibility of super-smart people. After all, naturally smart people tend to be quite good for society. I've not seen a pattern of them abusing their power.

What worries me is people taking drugs and harming themselves in an attempt to compete. Particularly if the whole thing's kept secret, by the time a user is discovered they may have suffered irreparable harm.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I'll take the all-natural side.

Been prescribed plenty of brain-stims and mood alterers. Flushed them all down the toilet. I just woke up one morning, didn't recognize myself anymore, and I didn't like it.

I'll take the occasional spurt of not being able to pay attention and feeling bummed out as a reasonable price for having a personality.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
I dont like the idea of any form of unnatural chemicals altering my brain, infact i utterly loathe the idea. I take pride in being who i am, flaws and everything.

In my opinion this falls under the same principles of Narcotics, if we live in a society were everyone shoots up on heroin every day because it makes them happy, do we live in a good society? In the same way we shouldent be reliant on medicin to solve our mental problems.

Brian Name

Feb 1, 2008
While I agree there is a danger they could change your mood and personality I can see why people might take them, especially students. A lot pf students are under incredible pressure to perform, and though I'm not sure if I'd ever have the balls to take Smart Drugs, I could very certainly be tempted.

Magnetic2

Mar 18, 2008
As someone who was prescribed Ritalin in college and took it when I needed it, it got the job done. My anxiety left, and i was filled with a hyper-focus feeling of "Oh man, I can't stop" and got a lot accomplished on the pill. This was followed by a 5 hour crash which felt like committing slow suicide. 3 years later i have found something much better, meditation. Instead of trying to cover up or remove the feelings of anxiety i just sit quietly and take a look at them, and lo and behold, they disperse. It's natural, free, anyone can do it.

Also on the pills i didn't feel like myself, i felt like a maniac, as well iv'e read stories
about people committing suicide while on some learning disability drugs due to being misdiagnosed. Also iv'e worked around upper class folk in a restaurant who where on Prozac and other feel good drugs, these people struck me as wack as out of their minds.

Stone Cold Monkey

Mar 5, 2008
To be specific, this article did not describe drugs that indeed make someone smarter, but rather make them able to focus better or remove anxiety. By my understanding that doesn't make one more intelligent or creative. It would simply allow them accomplish these task with greater ease.

Personally, I agree with Khell_Sennet that nearly every situation does not require drugs or at least as many situations that doctors prescribe drugs. Would it be possible with understanding of your mental condition (ADHD, OCD, bipolar, etc.) to keep control of it with mental exercises (such as meditation) or more natural methods?

This is an area I have little personal understanding or experience. I would like to gain more insight as I sometimes have concern over my own mental integrity sometimes.

WilyWombat

Sep 13, 2007
Lots of thoughts on this matter
- We already self medicate via coffee and other psychoactive consumables. I am guessing that the huge number of iPods I see plugged into people's heads are a often a form of meditation, music is magical that way.
- Anxiety and Depression are not always solvable by 'just get over it'. Our meat is run by chemicals (thanks Kurt Vonnegut) and sometimes those chemicals can be out of balance.
- We live in an artificially stimulating world. We move faster, eat more and have way more new stuff thrown at us than our evolution has prepared us for. Unless you are willing to go live in a grass hut on a savanna someplace and hope the world ignores you, you have to try to cope by whatever means are available.
- The scary part about these drugs is that there is no history of long term effects, so decisions to use them are going to be made with a huge gray area of ignorance.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Khell_Sennet said:
I was misdiagnosed with ADD
Are you sure it was a mis-diagnosis? I keed, I keed!

Anyway, I can speak to the wonders of certain smart drugs Lara covered in her article. Without endorsing anything, it's absolutely awesome to be able to take a pill that lets you 1) Focus inside a hurricane, and 2) Feel like a million bucks while doing so. That said, like anything else, to me they're sometimes foods, mostly because I don't need them to get through everyday life. However, it's nice to be able to reach for a little extra something when life decides to be anything but everyday.

From a bioethical position, I can see both sides of the issue, but I tend to err on the side of "what makes me feel better." I feel better knowing I have the option to do what I want to my body. I'm healthy, in my 20s and don't have any conditions that make these types of drugs especially unsafe, so it's not a public health problem in my case. What's more, it's not like my taking them makes them less effective on other people, like is the case with overmedicating bacterial infections.

Lara Crigger

Jul 11, 2006
There are some great comments in here! I've been having fun reading your reactions to what I think is going to be a major ethical debate in the coming years. :)

To be specific, this article did not describe drugs that indeed make someone smarter, but rather make them able to focus better or remove anxiety. By my understanding that doesn't make one more intelligent or creative. It would simply allow them accomplish these task with greater ease.
Absolutely true. But creativity and intelligence depends on the ability to access certain parts of your mind, and if you can't concentrate or focus, then both creativity and intelligence suffers. With ADD, Beethoven is still Beethoven, but he can't settle down and focus to unlock all those symphonies he has inside him. Indeed, we might assume Beethoven with ADD is much stupider or less creative than he really is.

Could a drug change the very being of someone?
To an extent, I think every drug, from antidepressants down to coffee, changes the very being of someone. And in most cases, that's exactly the point! We take mood-altering drugs because we are able to recognize and admit that who we are is somehow deficient for the lifestyle we want to live. Even the coffee you drink is an admission: "I am not as alert as I need to be."

I think of a friend of mine, who can barely function without her antidepressants. Off her meds, she has trouble getting out of the bed in the morning, even though she gets terrible insomnia. She won't eat, won't go out, won't take a shower - she simply loses the will to live. That's who she is naturally - someone held prisoner to her naturally-borked brain chemistry. But with the meds, she can changes who she is into who she wants to be: a vibrant, happy self-sufficient woman.

Who am I to tell her that the person she becomes on the medication is somehow not real, that her life on drugs is inauthentic or somehow "not free"? That her life is somehow less than "good"? And yet, she's been told this - and sometimes, she even thinks it herself, that she should remain locked in the "real" her, that taking drugs is somehow cheating.

But that's an extreme case. In a greater sense, who we are is not static: It's a choice we make every day. We choose how well we want our brains to function, and what mood we want to be in - from the foods we eat, to the exercise we get (or don't get), to how much sleep we get, to the drugs we take. All of these actions change the very being of ourselves, and while I won't equate taking anti-depressants to going for a run (sorry, I'm not Tom Cruise), both actions fundamentally change your brain chemistry - and thus, who you are.

WillyWombat said:
We live in an artificially stimulating world. We move faster, eat more and have way more new stuff thrown at us than our evolution has prepared us for. Unless you are willing to go live in a grass hut on a savanna someplace and hope the world ignores you, you have to try to cope by whatever means are available.
I see many people saying that they wouldn't take these drugs if they became more widely available, but Willy brings up a good point. Soon, we're just going to have to run in place to keep up.

Imagine you work in a high-powered, high-stress environment - in fact, let's say you're a game developer. You're already expected to work long hours, and then put in 70 hour work weeks during crunch time. Some of your coworkers start taking a drug to keep their minds alert, their focus sharp. And it works; they're not just weathering the 70 hour work weeks, like you are, but breezing through them. Their work is actually improving; they're able to get more done on less sleep and rest, with less consequence to their health and sanity.

Soon, the higher-ups have taken notice of their improved performance, and give these workers raises and more vacation time - even promotions. They've also noticed you lagging behind your artificially-enhanced peers, and have warned you to pick up the pace, or they'll find someone else who can keep up. You have two kids to feed and a mortgage to pay - what do you do? It's easy to say you wouldn't take the drugs even if your livelihood depended on it, but what about when your family's security depends on it?

The scary part about these drugs is that there is no history of long term effects, so decisions to use them are going to be made with a huge gray area of ignorance.
Exactly. Many mood-altering drugs haven't even been studied over the long term (5-10 years) for their appropriate patients, much less those who don't need to take them. If every drug changes you somehow, and every change has risks and consequences, then as Dr. Chatterjee says in the article, if you're healthy, are any risks worth taking?

Anyway, good thoughts all around. :)

Finnish(ed)

Mar 16, 2008
Drugs and medication in general are a band-aid on a bullet hole. They mask the problem and might even prevent you from bleeding to death, but fail to address the real issue. I am not saying that we shouldn't do drugs, m'kay. They are a temporary, but necessary solution to many problems. Often they are the only solution.

At some point we will be able to alter and enhance our bodies and minds with chemicals so effectively and profoundly that our current knowledge of the subject will seem crude in comparison. However, at the same time our knowledge of genetics will improve as well. Soon we will begin to use genetic manipulation to treat an ever increasing variety of conditions and illnesses. Perhaps genetics will replace chemicals as the primary treatment.

It is likely that introducing strange and unnatural chemicals to the body will be viewed as a dark age for medicine by some future generation.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
Khell_Sennet said:
Drugs are for pussies, be they illegal, prescription, or over-the-counter. I'll take X, Y or Z to kill off an infection or to treat a legit medical condition, but that's as far as I go with medicine.
So drugs are bad, except for the ones you say aren't bad? Whatever, dude.

Lara Crigger

Jul 11, 2006
Taking prescription or over the counter meds to enhance your body or mind beyond what it is normally capable of is for weak people.
Okay - so why is that bad? Why should "weak" people who find their abilities lacking be forbidden from improving themselves? And what differentiates the enhancing capabilities of over-the-counter medication from those of coffee, or alcohol - or even exercise?

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
Lara Crigger said:
Taking prescription or over the counter meds to enhance your body or mind beyond what it is normally capable of is for weak people.
Okay - so why is that bad? Why should "weak" people who find their abilities lacking be forbidden from improving themselves? And what differentiates the enhancing capabilities of over-the-counter medication from those of coffee, or alcohol - or even exercise?
If people start chugging lots of meds to overcome problems there can be serious consequences. I dont want to sound like a twat, but Bioshock is a great example of this. People start taking "meds" to give them abilities they dont actualy need and all hell brakes loose. I guess it's a wild exaguration but couldent the same thing happen to us? If society adapts after the majority taking these meds it will force those who dont want them to take them anyway. It will turn those who value their natural integretity inferior and force them to follow the masses to not be left behind in society. If an entire generation of people start depending on anti-depressants and focus pills to get by, wont that genetical be passed on to the next one? I just se a downward spiral here.

On more positive note, i realy did enjoy your article. One of the most thought provoking I have seen on the site.