Update - Resident Evil 7 VR Mode is a Timed PSVR Exclusive

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Update - Resident Evil 7 VR Mode is a Timed PSVR Exclusive

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1353/1353333.jpg
A box shot of Resident Evil 7 suggests that it's VR mode will only be a 12-month exclusive.

Update: A Capcom representative has told us that "Capcom has not confirmed any other VR formats at this time."

Original Story: When we played the VR mode of Resident Evil 7 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/17233-Resident-Evil-7-PlayStation-VR-Preview-Tokyo-Game-Show] at Tokyo Game Show, we asked Capcom if the game would ever find its way onto non-PlayStation VR headsets. At the time, we were simply told that it is launching only on the PS VR. Now, a picture posted by the official Resident Evil 7 Facebook page (since deleted) is suggesting that the PS VR exclusivity deal will only last a year.

reddit [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1287899] users nabbed the image before it disappeared. You can see it to the right. While the top right corner does indeed say "PlayStation VR exclusive," the fine print in the bottom left corner states "Exclusive to PlayStation VR for 12 months."

So what does this mean? Resident Evil 7 will be released on the PC and Xbox One alongside the PS4, and since it already has a perfectly good VR mode built for it, we can probably expect support for PC headsets such as the Vive and the Oculus Rift, as well as the VR headset Microsoft may or may not be working on, in the future.

We've reached out to Capcom for clarification.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Err, this, like affects all of 5 people right? Only exaggerating, sorry! Damn, that's another joke ruined by myself. At least the game is still being released fairly for all non VR fanatics (another exaggeration, squee! I can't stop!) Unlike, say all other timed exclusives. But saying that, I don't think I care that much about those titles or their delay anymore. In fact, I appreciate the year or so headstart the other console had so that we can fully understand what the game is and know if the game is functional at least. I kind of like that sort of heads up. Just let time do its thing. Patience, padawan.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I'm not sure how anyone can call exclusivity for a game "only 12 months"...
I mean, are YOU gonna play stuff that has been exclusive for a full year with so much good games coming out all the time?!

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Anyone else think vr will be a short lived gimmick like 3D and motion control?

Colour me unimpressed.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
bjj hero said:

Colour me unimpressed.
Nope. Im just waiting for people with bigger ambitions to get into VR. Plus Motion Controls will likely see a resurgence when people realize VR + motion controls = logical.

VR is a fledgling technology. We're in the Atari days of VR. You cant just skip multiple generations of technology. We just need to wait for the Nintendo and SEGA of VR to show up and really get things going. When video games were new everyone had a console, and most were shit, with awful controls and terrible ideas. Eventually it funneled into only a couple of companies making consoles. It wasnt always just 2/3 companies. Im curious who will survive though, cause it might not be anyone any of us expect.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
bjj hero said:

Colour me unimpressed.
I do. I don't see the point of it. Plus the price of it and having to upgrade your computer parts every other month to make sure it works makes it a luxury item to beat all luxury items.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Can't wait until home consoles die so the question whether "12 month exclusivity" deserves the label "exclusive" isn't relevant anymore and such anti-consumer business tactics are gone.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
I'm not sure how anyone can call exclusivity for a game "only 12 months"...
I mean, are YOU gonna play stuff that has been exclusive for a full year with so much good games coming out all the time?!
Are there any actually good games for PC VR right now? As far as I heard - and please correct me if I'm wrong - the majority of Vive/Oculus titles are little more than tech demos and lo-fi indie toys that are fun for a couple of hours but ultimately lack in substance and presentation. Securing a 12-month exclusivity deal for a high-profile game in such market conditions is actually kind of a big deal.

bjj hero said:

Colour me unimpressed.
I heard statistics that claimed the number of PC VR headsets sold has leveled at around 300k units (~200k Vives and ~100k Rifts) and hardly any new units have been sold since the initial rush [http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/02/vr-adoption-among-steam-users-has-crashed-to-a-halt/]. Which probably means there isn't a huge market for expensive overly complicated headsets that require unreasonable room conditions operate and barely have any games. So yeah, doesn't feel like the revolution we've been hyped about all these years. However, the interest in VR is still there, so introducing a new, cheaper device that is easier to rig and use and that has actual games exclusive to it may make Sony the market leader and the VR messiah we have been waiting for.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
loa said:
Can't wait until home consoles die so the question whether "12 month exclusivity" deserves the label "exclusive" isn't relevant anymore and such anti-consumer business tactics are gone.
Until PCs become plug and play I am not hopeful. Maybe when streaming games becomes a reliable option. Then it will go the way of TV. If you want to watch everything you need multiple subscriptions. Netflix, amazon, HBO...

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Fulbert said:
I heard statistics that claimed the number of PC VR headsets sold has leveled at around 300k units (~200k Vives and ~100k Rifts) and hardly any new units have been sold since the initial rush [http://venturebeat.com/2016/09/02/vr-adoption-among-steam-users-has-crashed-to-a-halt/]. Which probably means there isn't a huge market for expensive overly complicated headsets that require unreasonable room conditions operate and barely have any games. So yeah, doesn't feel like the revolution we've been hyped about all these years. However, the interest in VR is still there, so introducing a new, cheaper device that is easier to rig and use and that has actual games exclusive to it may make Sony the market leader and the VR messiah we have been waiting for.
That seems terribly optimistic regarding Sony. I can see it going the way of lightguns and motion controls. Gathering dust.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
It is a limited release. Limited by the number of people who use (or will use) VR, which seems to be dead in the water.