The Shrouded Isle is a Cult Village Simulator

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Shrouded Isle is a Cult Village Simulator

In The Shrouded Isle, you play the leader of a cult village, and have to take care of all the cult-related chores like human sacrifice.

Kitfox Games, most famous for its co-op fantasy RPG Moon Hunters [http://store.steampowered.com/app/320040/], has just announced its latest game: The Shrouded Isle. Looking through the information, the best way to describe this game is "Cult Village Simulator 2016", as it has you assuming the role of the leader of a cult, and having to deal with all of the chores and nonsense that comes with the role. Like human sacrifice.

"As [the cult]'s leader, you are cursed to not only provide food and shelter for your people, but also an appropriate human sacrifice every season, to ensure the gods beneath the waves remain asleep," said a Kitfox representative. The teaser trailer gives us a small glimpse into the five families that will be vying for power of the island, and your main opponents in the game.

Other than a February 2017 release date for PC, that's about all we know about The Shrouded Isle for now. It certainly seems like a really interesting concept, and not one that has been done before.

Source: Kitfox Games [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0xB_I6vmK0]

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Very reminiscent of Darkest Dungeon in style but sounds more like a mix between Populous and Black & White (Evil).
Not much to go on really..

*Assumes a neutral waiting stance*

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
In The Shrouded Isle, you play the leader of a cult village, and have to take care of all the cult-related chores like human sacrifice.
Steven Bogos said:
Kitfox Games, most famous for its co-op fantasy RPG Moon Hunters [http://store.steampowered.com/app/320040/], has just announced its latest game: The Shrouded Isle. Looking through the information, the best way to describe this game is "Cult Village Simulator 2016", as it has you assuming the role of the leader of a cult, and having to deal with all of the chores and nonsense that comes with the role. Like human sacrifice.
Steven Bogos said:
"As [the cult]'s leader, you are cursed to not only provide food and shelter for your people, but also an appropriate human sacrifice every season, to ensure the gods beneath the waves remain asleep," said a Kitfox representative. The teaser trailer gives us a small glimpse into the five families that will be vying for power of the island, and your main opponents in the game.
I guess this joke would've worked better if I was drinking alcohol instead of water. That or a Tootsie Pop. Beyond that if it succeeds it'll fail to have a Cult Following.
Steven Bogos said:
Other than a February 2017 release date for PC, that's about all we know about The Shrouded Isle for now. It certainly seems like a really interesting concept, and not one that has been done before.

Source: Kitfox Games [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0xB_I6vmK0]

So Human Sacrifice isn't creepy?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Does it have to be people? Can't I pick a certain kind of animal? Something else entirely?

I adore the concept, but the above questions point towards my main concern; that the variation for this game will run out too soon. I'd like there to be (yes, I know...) randomly generated gods or goals, if only for a dose of flavor, that each have their specific needs. I'd like various flavors of cults to be available as well, a wish that has overlap with the goal variation I suppose, with different tactics and methods of indoctrination.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Cowabungaa said:
Does it have to be people? Can't I pick a certain kind of animal? Something else entirely?

I adore the concept, but the above questions point towards my main concern; that the variation for this game will run out too soon. I'd like there to be (yes, I know...) randomly generated gods or goals, if only for a dose of flavor, that each have their specific needs. I'd like various flavors of cults to be available as well, a wish that has overlap with the goal variation I suppose, with different tactics and methods of indoctrination.
Sounds like that idea needs some sort of PvP where 2 or more cults compete to sacrifice their own instead of each other.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
It is an interesting premise and rife for expansion. Could I start a sex cult? Eco warriors? Religious? Doomsday cults?

It could run and run.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Jacked Assassin said:
Sounds like that idea needs some sort of PvP where 2 or more cults compete to sacrifice their own instead of each other.
That I'm actually less keen on, but if people want it then sure why not eh?

What I'd want ideally, honestly, is a Dwarf Fortress for cults. But that'd be a little too much to ask I know.
bjj hero said:
It is an interesting premise and rife for expansion. Could I start a sex cult? Eco warriors? Religious? Doomsday cults?

It could run and run.
Exactly what I was thinking of!

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
I may not be able to make my perfect Jonestown, but I suppose I can manage to make a decent approximation.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
I'm not sure whether to find this concept intriguingly disturbing or darkly humorous, akin to "Cabin in The Woods." It's taking a concept like pagan cults and human sacrifices and turning it into a management issue. I just imagine a cult leader talking not like the head of a sinister religious order, but like a middle manager.

"Ugh, busy-busy-busy, gotta order more grain shipments, requesition some mining tools for the new quarry, hold the black mass, meet with the Iosefkas about that river dam project, oh can't forget the orgy for the fertility goddess's sabbath, see how the repairs to the dock sare coming, silence the meddling visitor, hold the lottery to see who gets their throat slit on the altar, then a ribbon-cutting!"

Batadon

Jan 17, 2008
Mike Fang said:
"Ugh, busy-busy-busy, gotta order more grain shipments, requesition some mining tools for the new quarry, hold the black mass, meet with the Iosefkas about that river dam project, oh can't forget the orgy for the fertility goddess's sabbath, see how the repairs to the docks are coming, silence the meddling visitor, hold the lottery to see who gets their throat slit on the altar, then a ribbon-cutting!"
This sums up exactly what I'm hoping for.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Cowabungaa said:

There is a comic I read which a Cult Sacrifice a woman so she give birth to a humanoid eldrith octapuss whatever girl.
Then she grow so quickly which she become an adult and get merried with a cult believer because he was wishing to get married with the girl who get sacrificed.
Different enough?