Gears of War 4 Review - The Gears Keep Turning

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Gears of War 4 Review - The Gears Keep Turning

Gears of War 4 is a refinement of the Gears formula, and a sign that Microsoft cares about PC gamers again.

Read Full Article

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
In other words, more of the same? I'll probably pass. I played two Gears games and got a little burnt out on the series.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Can't wait for this. There's been a serious drought of good action games recently.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
A bit interested in this but I'm simply not ready for Windows 10 and don't want to buy an xbone so oh well.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
There is no cross-play for competitive modes only co-op and horde have that functionality. You won't have to worry about PC players beating on console players. That being said, I find it odd that you can call a game reviewed without having tried the multiplayer.

I'm mildly interested in Gears 4. The original trilogy was one of my favorites and the first game specifically took over my life for a decent period of time. I'm gonna give this one a few weeks to cook, see how performance is across people's different hardware, and see if it's worth $60. I have Forza Horizon 3 feeding directly into my veins right now so I'm getting my fix.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Wait...you're fighting against the COG at the start? So Marcus' son is technically a Stranded? I'm curious to find out how that happened, seeing as Marcus is pretty much die-hard COG.
Obviously COG went a little nuts after the war, of course, but still...I'd like to find out what went down.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Sniper Team 4 said:
Wait...you're fighting against the COG at the start? So Marcus' son is technically a Stranded? I'm curious to find out how that happened, seeing as Marcus is pretty much die-hard COG.
One of the Outsiders, actually (similar but different). All I know is that an "incident" happened when he was with the COG militia, leaving him to abandon the COG.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
JUMBO PALACE said:
That being said, I find it odd that you can call a game reviewed without having tried the multiplayer.
I agree with you. However, as an Australian, the servers were incredibly sparsely populated in the period leading up to embargo, so I didn't really get a chance to try out Versus. I played co-op and Horde mode with my wife in Local co-op. I also didn't know about the no cross-play in versus, so I'll update the review to reflect that. Thank you!

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
I also experienced no graphical or gameplay glitches in my playthrough, and didn't have a single crash.
Isn't it sad, when a game actually working on release is noteworthy enough to get an explicit mention in a short review.

built with... high-end PC gamers in mind...
If you're a PC gamer with a beefy PC...
On my GTX 970, I was able to run the game at "Ultra" settings, and I never dropped a single frame below 60
Something doesn't seem to add up here. You note that the game runs perfectly on a three year old GPU that wasn't even the high-spec one when new, with the new generation already close to 6 months old, so why repeatedly say it's aimed at gamers with high-end PCs? It's very clearly aimed to be playable by people with ageing, mid-range kit, not hardcore gamers with all the latest and greatest money can buy.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Steven Bogos said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
That being said, I find it odd that you can call a game reviewed without having tried the multiplayer.
I agree with you. However, as an Australian, the servers were incredibly sparsely populated in the period leading up to embargo, so I didn't really get a chance to try out Versus. I played co-op and Horde mode with my wife in Local co-op. I also didn't know about the no cross-play in versus, so I'll update the review to reflect that. Thank you!
Oh I understand. Can't help it if no one's playing! Thank you for the review it was an enjoyable read.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
Wrex Brogan said:
...now the real question is, how overpowered is the shotgun in Multiplayer?
I know, right? At this point, if the shotgun was well balanced it just wouldn't feel like a proper Gears game. That said, I'm REALLY looking forward to split-screening the campaign with my son and then sinking some hours into horde!

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
There are 3 accounts on my XB1. If I buy for Windows 10 on PC, can all 3 accounts on my XB1 play the game?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Kahani said:
Steven Bogos said:
I also experienced no graphical or gameplay glitches in my playthrough, and didn't have a single crash.
Isn't it sad, when a game actually working on release is noteworthy enough to get an explicit mention in a short review.

built with... high-end PC gamers in mind...
If you're a PC gamer with a beefy PC...
On my GTX 970, I was able to run the game at "Ultra" settings, and I never dropped a single frame below 60
Something doesn't seem to add up here. You note that the game runs perfectly on a three year old GPU that wasn't even the high-spec one when new, with the new generation already close to 6 months old, so why repeatedly say it's aimed at gamers with high-end PCs? It's very clearly aimed to be playable by people with ageing, mid-range kit, not hardcore gamers with all the latest and greatest money can buy.
The GTX 970 was very high spec when it was released. Granted, it wasn't the best of the best, but it was like what the GTX 1070 is to the 1080 now.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Solkard said:
Windows 10 only, awww.
sageoftruth said:
Solkard said:
Windows 10 only, awww.
They never give up do they? This time I might have to compromise and "upgrade" to Windows 10.
Not only Windows 10, but a specific new version of Windows 10!!! I have a business copy that will not allow for this particular upgrade! (Works on another Windows 10 PC in my house and Xbox 1).

EDIT: I bought it but it won't let me play it till after midnight tonight. Dunno how y'all have been playing it already.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Marcus's son is anti-COG!? Traitor!

It's a damn shame I don't have an Xbox One, as I'd like to carry on my experience with this series: enjoyed them 1 through 3 (never got a chance to try Judgement). I also like the idea of shifting perspectives to play through key historical events within the universe, especially in a long-running and quite well fleshed out series such as this - Mass Effect should let us see the Shanxi Incident through the boots of some unfortunate grunt looking up at an incoming meteor at some point.