Oculus Touch Price, Release Date Announced

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Oculus Touch Price, Release Date Announced

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1354/1354247.png

Oculus has announced the release date, price, and preorder details for the Oculus Touch controllers.

During the Oculus Connect keynote address today, the company announced that the Touch controllers will be available on December 6, with a price tag of $199 per pair. Peorders are set to open on October 10, both online and at retailers. Additionally, preordering the controllers will get you two free games, VR Sports Challenge and The Unspoken.

The Touch will support room-scale virtual reality with the assistance of three Oculus sensors. The third comes at a cost of $79 and will be available on December 6.

Oculus announced that the controllers would be delayed last December [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165704-Oculus-Touch-Delayed-to-Second-Half-of-2016], saying that the new deadline would allow the company to "produce an even better product, one that will set the bar for VR input."

Disclosure(s): Oculus Rift hardware and games were provided to The Escapist by Oculus.

[gallery=6548]

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
How do we make a stupidly over priced utterly niche product popular? Well lets release a whole lot of extra and expensive peripherals for niche product because nothing makes a niche product popular like requiring users to buy more crap to get full use of their already over priced piece of nonsense hardware.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Rich kids are gonna have the coolest Christmas EVAR! Ma? Can I go to Timmy Trump's house? He has the full Oculus suite!

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Let me see if I got this right...

So after all of the insults, hand-waving, and accusations of 'fanboy' and 'hater' when I'd said, months ago, that the Touch would cause the Rift to cost at least as much as the Vive, not only does the addition of the Touch bring the cost of the Rift above what the Vive costs but it also requires three sensors to function in roomscale, one of which is sold separately?

I'd laugh uncontrollably but that'd be juvenile, and I'm above that sort of thing.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Wait, so PC powerful enough to run it well, a head set to make you look like a numpty, a set of controllers that look insane and a set of sensors for room scale? Lemme just sell a few body parts and my next 3 unborn children.

I'll be a purist and stick with a tv and crummy controllers thanks! (and from what I've seen better games)

90sgamer

Jan 12, 2012
Laughing Man said:
How do we make a stupidly over priced utterly niche product popular? Well lets release a whole lot of extra and expensive peripherals for niche product because nothing makes a niche product popular like requiring users to buy more crap to get full use of their already over priced piece of nonsense hardware.
I think it's something you have to experience before you 'get' it. Motion controls are necessary to make VR work.

I started off with the Oculus DK2. I used it mostly for Elite Dangerous, which works perfectly fine with just a head set and an x-box controller. I played many other games and demos as an early adopter, and I was already completely sold on VR.

Then I got a Vive. At first, the motion controls were iffy, because I was still in the mindset that an x-box controller was good enough for me. Then I played Hotdogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades, a weapon shooting simulator. I shoot in real life, and mimicking real life movements to aim down iron sights, reload, and shoulder a weapon was a life-changing experience, albeit an experience empty of competition, a loss-state, and other game-like qualities.

Then Onward came and tied it all together. A multiplayer mil-sim shooter that takes the mechanics of handling a real gun from H3, and combining it with traditional mobility and counter-strike-esque gameplay. You shoulder weapons, toss grenades, crouch, prone and lean in the virtual world as you would in real life. it completely sells the experience of being somewhere you aren't, and doing something there. Fantastic.

I've had to sacrifice many things to afford my rig, my Vive, and other related accessories. I'd do it all again in a heart beat. Games like Onward would not be possible with just a head set. Room scale VR with hand controller is a necessity. if you can't make the sacrifices to afford it, then that's life, but I bet most people can make it happen if they are willing to give other luxuries up.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Err...nah, I think I'll leave it alone. Even the alleged simpler set up of the PSVR still requires three separate (questionable quality) purchases and restrictions that don't seem worth the price, time and fading of social life. This just looks to be increasing the cost of all those valuable resources of which seem rather more important lately. Procrastination is bad enough already without this extravagant indulgence. Am procrastinating even now! Damnit!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
omega 616 said:
Wait, so PC powerful enough to run it well, a head set to make you look like a numpty, a set of controllers that look insane and a set of sensors for room scale? Lemme just sell a few body parts and my next 3 unborn children.

I'll be a purist and stick with a tv and crummy controllers thanks! (and from what I've seen better games)
One game has convinced me of VR's potential: Elite Dangerous. The idea of playing that with VR, voice commands and a flight sim controller is just... Oh my God yes.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Lmao great job. Get people on your train by charging less at launch, then end up charging slightly more if people want comparable immersion to the Vive. Insane

Jingle Fett

Sep 13, 2011
Things just keep getting better and better for Oculus owners, don't they? If my math is correct, that means it's $399 for the Oculus, $199 for the touch controllers, and an extra $79 sensor to make it work, so $677 total.
That's now more than the Vive, which works with fewer sensors and which has had the controllers available for much longer. Looks like I made the right call going with Vive...

Vigormortis said:
Let me see if I got this right...

So after all of the insults, hand-waving, and accusations of 'fanboy' and 'hater' when I'd said, months ago, that the Touch would cause the Rift to cost at least as much as the Vive, not only does the addition of the Touch bring the cost of the Rift above what the Vive costs but it also requires three sensors to function in roomscale, one of which is sold separately?

I'd laugh uncontrollably but that'd be juvenile, and I'm above that sort of thing.

Not going to lie, that's kind of my reaction too :p

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Jingle Fett said:
Not going to lie, that's kind of my reaction too :p
Don't get me wrong. I'm glad Rift owners can finally experience room-scale. But the price tag, and the fact that it seemingly needs three sensors to function at all, amuses me. And not in a tribalistic "ha ha, your thing is worse than mine" sort of way. Rather a "you insulted and mocked me, yet I was right all along" sort of way.

Granted, with that said, I'm still wishing HTC would start selling the Lighthouse sensors separately. I'd pick up a few more as, hypothetically, there's no appreciable limit to the size of the VR space one could create with them. Hell, with enough of 'em I could turn my entire home into a VR play-space.

Oh the bumps and bruises my shins would endure...

But still worth it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
It seems like VR is just dead set determined to get people to wear the silliest goggles ever while double fisting a pair of dildos.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
weirdee said:
It seems like VR is just dead set determined to get people to wear the silliest goggles ever while double fisting a pair of dildos.
All the while being filmed by their chosen and trusted platform's webcams for invaluable future blackmail opportunities... How many job vacancies can be ompromised by a well edited toy invigoration session?? They know not the dark powers in which they so gleefully grope!