You'll Be Able to Rent a Battlefield 1 Server, Just Not When the Game Launches

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
You'll Be Able to Rent a Battlefield 1 Server, Just Not When the Game Launches

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1355/1355209.jpgEA will let Battlefield 1 players rent their own servers, just not at launch.

When Battlefield 1 launches on October 21, you won't be able to rent your own server for the World War I shooter. However, that will change "close after launch," EA says.

In a blog post [https://www.battlefield.com/news/article/rent-a-server-for-battlefield-1] on the game's official site, the company explained how their "Rent-a-Server Program" will work. Instead of allowing third-party companies to rent servers as they have in the past, EA plans to provide all servers itself. The company says that this will allow it to "secure the quality of the actual hardware" and "give everyone the same uniform experience."

If you do choose to rent a server, you'll be able to customize several things on it. These include server name, map rotation, game mode, and various game play settings, just to name a few. EA says that it "might restrict number of game modes available at launch and gradually enable them based on feedback and other circumstances," but that it plans to continue adding options "throughout 2016."

I can see this being both a good and a bad thing. Having EA control the hardware means that all servers should be similar in performance, and updated promptly. It also means that you'll have access to every official option on your server. Of course, the flipside is that you may be limited in which options you can change, and if mods become a thing for Battlefield 1, you may have difficulty running them on an official server. Finally, you'll be restricted to server locations that EA chooses to support, rather than having multiple providers around the world.

Still, it's good to see EA plans to allow for private servers Battlefield 1. It's hard to imagine a Battlefield game without them.

Battlefield 1 launches on October 21, but if you're an EA Access or Origin Access subscriber, you'll be able to start playing part of the game tomorrow (Oct 13). If you pick up the Early Enlister Edition of the game ($80), you'll get access on October 18.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
We've been here before, EA will no doubt be announcing official partners for it's server program within weeks of launch, just like it did for Battlefield 3. Mods haven't been a thing in Battlefield since the Frostbite engine came along, not until EA abandons the game at any rate (check out Venice Unleashed for a BF3 overhaul), so that's not change.

Or this means they intend to try and pull a Fifa and turn off BF1's servers eighteen months after launch. I eexpect this to render BF1's launch period somewhat difficult.

Apr 5, 2008
Why not just allow us to host our own private/dedicated servers like all older shooters used to have? This is WORSE than games that were made years ago. Games have gone backwards and lost features and they call it progress.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
Mods haven't been a thing in Battlefield since the Frostbite engine came along, not until EA abandons the game at any rate (check out Venice Unleashed for a BF3 overhaul), so that's not change.
LET ME HAVE MY DREAMS

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
KingsGambit said:
Why not just allow us to host our own private/dedicated servers like all older shooters used to have? This is WORSE than games that were made years ago. Games have gone backwards and lost features and they call it progress.
BF1 will run on dedicated servers, but EA exercises more control over who gets them than companies like Valve. Call of Duty (and Halo for that matter) is the one running on an arse-backwards peer to peer system. It's been this way since Battlefield 3 and it took until EA ended support for BF3 for truly independent servers to start popping up thanks to modded clients.

I don't think it's ideal for EA to so directly control who can and can't provide Battlefield (and Titanfall, Crysis) servers, but from a purely mechanical perspective it's no different to every other BF games released, you pick a server and join it.