The Room Co-Stars Team Up For New Movie

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
The Room Co-Stars Team Up For New Movie

<youtube=Svu3jrsfy3A>

[Insert clever quote from The Room here.]

I can only assume that most of you reading this have either seen (and loved) Tommy Wiseau [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Room_(film)], it had a notoriously troubled production and the resulting film was nothing more than a spectacular disaster.

Well, its leading actors, Wiseau and Greg Sestero [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/greg+sestero], are co-starring in a movie for the first time in almost 15 years. Best F(r)iends. It's a road trip film, in which Wiseau plays a mortician and Sestero plays a hitchhiker, and they go on an adventure together. Or something. It looks horrendously bad, but I can only assume (and hope) that's the point.

Unfortunately, Wiseau isn't directing Best F(r)iends. Gary Fong [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/gary+fong] took the helm, making his directorial debut. There isn't currently a release date for Best F(r)iends, but you better believe I'm excited to see it whenever it is released.

[gallery=6564]

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
The movie no one asked for but secretly hoped for. Bringing back the leads of one of the greatest guilty pleasures ever is a good way to get your film noticed. One has to wonder though - without a warped mind like Wiseau at the helm, will it really be another "so bad it's good" (or more like "so awful it's a classic") or just another movie that tried too hard/too little to not try at all. The mystical combination of horrid acting, terrible direction, and nonsensical writing was like capturing lightning in a bottle and was almost entirely because Wiseau was the brains behind it all. I don't know who this new director is, but I can be certain that he's nowhere near as mental as Wiseau is.

This will be one to look out for. I have no idea what to expect out of this.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I've heard it all about The Room: its origin as a 500-page book nobody wanted to publish, the "inspiration" of the plot, the weird casting, the crew that was daily scratching their heads about what the heck was going on, the possibility of it all have been a money laundry scheme, I've even heard one of the characters was considered to be a vampire mid-production, I swear I am not making this up.

I am eagerly waiting for The Masterpice, a movie by Greg Sestero inspired on The Disaster Artist book that tells in great detail in how The Room came to be. This seems a fun distraction.

Dec 10, 2012
I can't honestly get excited about this. Because after The Room, the genie was out of the bottle. It was so entertaining specifically because it was an accident that it was so bad. It honestly tried to be a serious film, and that earnest and complete failure at every level was what made it so charmingly absurd.

Any future team up between the creators can't possibly recreate the magic because all they can do is purposely shoot for campy crap, which comprises the very tone they want to achieve. It's the same reason I can't watch the Sharknado movies, they are too self-aware.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
We live in a world which cancelled Firefly but let this come to pass.

Our reign has gone on long enough. Summon the meteors.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Imre Csete said:

Nooooooooo. Let the machines rise and take over. Humans have fucked things up for too long now. Siri/Cortana 2020.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
Mike and Jay can tell you, they better not try to make it bad on purpose. It will not have any charm.

Now, where's my medicine?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
TheVampwizimp said:
I can't honestly get excited about this. Because after The Room, the genie was out of the bottle. It was so entertaining specifically because it was an accident that it was so bad. It honestly tried to be a serious film, and that earnest and complete failure at every level was what made it so charmingly absurd.
Believe me, Wiseau still takes himself incredibly seriously. Sure this won't have the sucker punch quality any more, but ho boy seeing him bomb again will be a treat.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Imre Csete said:

It's because we live in a world that celebrates mediocrity.

Just look at the admiration and affection the OP and others show towards the utterly catastrophic shit-show that was The Room. We live in an age where cynicism is so prevalent that ironically showing admiration towards a piece of media is too much. It must be ironic admiration towards a knowingly bad piece of media.

It's why talentless fuckwads like Tim and Eric have any popularity at all.

Avant Garde. A term for when a thing is very shitty, but you don't want to admit that it's very shitty.