Phil Spencer Wants to Make Original Xbox Titles Backwards Compatible

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/731/731461.jpg
There could be a day where your Xbox One will be able to play every single Xbox title released since the very first Xbox.

Xbox One's Twitter post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/161357-Xbox-One-Backwards-Compatibility-List-Revealed], he expressed interest in bringing original Xbox games into the backwards compatibility program.

"I love the backwards compatibility for 360 titles, is it ever possible we will see Original Xbox backwards compatibility?" asked a fan. "We haven't ruled it out but we aren't working on it right now. I'd like to find the time to do it." When he last spoke on the subject [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142040-Xbox-One-Backwards-Compatibility-With-Original-Xbox] he said that he "asks the backwards compatibility team this question a lot". The fact that he's still actively thinking about it suggests that we may have moved from "is it possible?" to "it's possible but not a priority."

If backwards compatibility for original Xbox games were to come to the Xbox One, it would be one of the very first instances of two generation backwards compatibility for a console.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/786258191382253568?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Gameboy Advance, putting that out there, cause it can play literally every pre-DS gameboy game.

Anyways, I was hoping this was more than "Hes kind of maybe thinking about it maybe...eventually" cause major points to Xbone if I can reliably play my old Xbox games again. I still never beat Brute Force...and I can play Morrowind with a controller, OMG DO IT NOW! (occurred to me as I typed)

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I wouldn't hate this, and the BC for 360 (that I largely skipped) is one of the reasons why I'm getting a Xbone before a PS4.

I still have several Xbox-only games that I'd love to play again on TV.
My OG Xbox is dead, years of abuses before I ever got it finally did it in.
-A friend of mine who owned it shot it one time while he was drunk, fucker still ran fine a decade after the fact. XD

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I expect they'll someday announce every Original Xbox Game will work on Xbox One, except for Steel Battalion (Line of Contact).

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
Remember when they said backwards compatibility was backwards?

I won't be convinced they know why they were wrong until they're offering original xbox games for free. Or atleast a good number for download. Kingdom under Fire. Give me Kingdom under Fire. The two good ones. Or Crimson Skies. Maybe Mech Assault. Then I'll consider buying.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Anti-American Eagle said:

I won't be convinced they know why they were wrong until they're offering original xbox games for free. Or atleast a good number for download. Kingdom under Fire. Give me Kingdom under Fire. The two good ones. Or Crimson Skies. Maybe Mech Assault. Then I'll consider buying.
I think they should make ALL the games backwards compatible. I want to maintain my library across systems, INCLUDING Circle of Doom >.>

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
As a semi-fanboy of Sony, that's a good move for Microsoft. I think one of the biggest disappointments of this new console generation was the lack of backwards compatibility. I mean, I know why from a hardware standpoint they didn't, but it still would have been nice. However, I'm actually waiting for the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Whateverthehell, because there's pretty good odds both of them will be backwards compatible with the PS4/Xbone. I might be skipping this generation as I still have a ton of PS3 games in my backlog and by then I'll hopefully be able to get all the PS4 games (or a PS4 Pro if 5 isn't backwards compatible) for a song.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
Wait... What?

Did you mean to say they're making the >xBonexBone< can run xBox games?

Because, what would they be making the >xBox games< backwards compatible to? Windows NT?

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
It'd certainly be nice. Not too sure that I'd get all that much use out of it personally, though. I've been very happy with the backwards compatibility with the Xbox One, as I can already play every Halo game ever released, all of the Gears of War games, Red Dead Redemption, and im pretty sure that both Fable 2 and 3 are there, too. So i've already phased out my aging 360.

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
XBox One should have enough power to simply emulate XBox original virtually. All they have to do is write a one emulator to rule them all and either give it out for free or sell as a library item, then one just plugs XBox CD into XBox One, emulator cathes it and auto-launches to play the game. IMHO.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
On a pedantic note all Playstation 3s can play Playstation 1 games from the disc, so Sony beat them to it a decade ago. Of Sony also ballsed it up many years ago too when they removed PS2 compatibility from the slim PS3, making a box that could play every Playstation games ever inexplicably able to play PS1 and 3 but not 2 games.

It's very strange to think that the $599 fat PS3 was the ultimate cross compatible console and we never even realised it.
Yup, then they fired the guy who said it and he got fired by Zynga (frickin' Zynga) two years later.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Well, lets hope Ninja Gaiden Black and Timesplitters get the treatment, I have NGB on Xbox 360 but it would be cool to have it on One

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
If they made every title backwards compatible, I just might buy the console. Too bad the backwards compatibility doesn't include Lost Odyssey or Bayonetta.

Apr 5, 2008
The funny thing is that the XBone is the same architecture as the Xbox, so it wouldn't even need different hardware. It could legit run Xbox discs natively with just the software to support it.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Didn't this happen over a year ago? I swear I remember Phil Spencer making this statement (or something similar) ages ago.

OT: Meh, the Original Xbox wasn't exactly a haven of all the best titles from the sixth gen. Nice for some, I suppose.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Despite not caring for actually playing older games, it's - ideally - the right thing for the industry to do, i.e. archive its own history and evolution. Gaming is, obviously, more 'of the moment' than any other medium, but its story still needs to be told, and a part of that is allowing people to experience the medium's history.

Personally, I'd prefer far greater support for the 360 era because there's a lot I missed out on. But the Xbox era? I suppose I wouldn't mind playing 'cult shooter' Black again, and, erm, maybe Doom 3? And maybe about an hour of Lost Odyssey before its sprawling runtime and soap-opera pomposity annoys me? Other stuff like KotOR, Morrowind, and Jade Empire exist on PC with much better versions, so if I ever wanted to replay those I wouldn't need any form of Xbox BC.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
As much as I would like this, it seems like it would be odd if only because the 360 can't play every original Xbox game...unless there's an update I missed out on but the last time I tried (and this was about a month ago) my 360 couldn't play Whacked!, Otogi 1 or 2, Voodoo Vince...well really it was just those two, I was surprised when it read Silent Hill 2 and 4, Amped, the Halo games. I love the original Xbox but I'm not going to get an Xbone to play those games. I'm going to try finding an Xbox that still works or find someone who can fix mine.

Does Stubbs the Zombie work on the 360 by the way? Not that I can afford it at the moment but it's one of those hidden gems that I always hear good things about.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
YES! And while you're at it, please fix the constant crashes Mercenaries has when you're trying to play it on the 360. And make Timesplitters: Future Perfect backwards compatible too.

I won't be convinced they know why they were wrong until they're offering original xbox games for free.
Microsoft has zero control over that. The right to do that belongs to the publishers and developers.

Phil Spencer knows what he's doing, but for some reason, the Xbox One still has some latent problems, such as not supporting any LAN play, not making the console a devkit for everyone, making all publishers release their game first on Xbox One, and Halo 5.