Nintendo NX Revealed As Nintendo Switch

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo NX Revealed As Nintendo Switch

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1356/1356939.jpg

Nintendo has unveiled its upcoming console, Nintendo Switch.

After months of speculation, rumors, fake leaks, and impressive near-silence, Nintendo has unveiled its upcoming new console, previously codenamed NX. Coming in March 2017 is the Nintendo Switch.

The Switch features a docking station that connects the system to the TV, but will instantly transition to portable play when removed from the dock. It also features a controller that detaches on both sides that can be used solo, or two players can each take one. "They can easily click back into place or be slipped into a Joy-Con Grip accessory, mirroring a more traditional controller," a press release reads. "Or, if preferred, the gamer can select an optional Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to use instead of the Joy-Con controllers. Furthermore, it is possible for numerous people to bring their Nintendo Switch systems together to enjoy local multiplayer face-to-face competition."

You can watch the reveal trailer below, and check out a gallery at the end of the post.

"Nintendo Switch allows gamers the freedom to play however they like," said Reggie Fils-Aime, President and COO of Nintendo of America in a press release. "It gives game developers new abilities to bring their creative visions to life by opening up the concept of gaming without boundaries."

Below are a list of companies that have announced support for Nintendo Switch:

505 Games
Activision Publishing, Inc.
ARC SYSTEM WORKS Co., Ltd.
ATLUS CO., LTD.
Audiokinetic Inc.
Autodesk, Inc.
BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment Inc.
Bethesda
CAPCOM CO., LTD.
Codemasters®
CRI Middleware Co., Ltd.
DeNA Co., Ltd.
Electronic Arts
Epic Games Inc.
Firelight Technologies
FromSoftware, Inc.
Frozenbyte
GameTrust
GRASSHOPPER MANUFACTURE INC.
Gungho Online Entertainment, Inc.
HAMSTER Corporation
Havok
INTI CREATES CO., LTD.
KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.
Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd.
LEVEL-5 Inc.
Marvelous Inc.
Maximum Games, LLC
Nippon Ichi Software, Inc.
Parity Bit Inc.
PlatinumGames Inc.
RAD Game Tools, Inc.
RecoChoku Co., Ltd.
SEGA Games Co., Ltd.
Silicon Studio Corporation
Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.
SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.
Starbreeze Studios
Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc.
Telltale Games
THQ Nordic
Tokyo RPG Factory Co., Ltd.
TT Games
UBISOFT
Ubitus Inc.
Unity Technologies, Inc.
Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Web Technology Corp

[gallery=6577]

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Well then, Nintendo...you have caught my interest!

This looks incredible, can't wait to see more of this!

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Interesting things to note regarding software:

-Breath of the Wild continues with their trend of bosses in the overworld with the giant moblin. Neat.
-Skyrim Remastered is on a Nintendo Console...thought I'd never see the day...
-Looks like EA sports games are back on the system. Neat, those games will not super important to hardcore crowd still attract many sales so them back on the console's a good thing
-Mario looks neat. Seems more in the vein of 64/Galaxy than 3D World, which is a shame for me, but I'm still down for that.
-Mario Kart 8 didn't have King Boo nor 2 item slots so this looks like an enhanced port
-Similarly, those hairstyles on those Inklings in that Splatoon shot are brand new so I think it's either the sequel or an enhanced port.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Neat concept. But eh, how about some price points on all those peripherals, eh? Because I saw like 3 or 4 ways to control games with this thing.

And do all the "Look at us zipping about!" stuff mean that this doesn't require some kind of wifi or 4G connection to go from console to handheld mode? Will all the hardware be located in the screens?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Way better gimmicks than the Wii U, that's for sure.

Now we wait to see if this thing can run third party games at over 10 FPS and at a resolution greater than 360. Oh, and if costs less than tow legs and an arm.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Wow that is truly a large number of supporters.
Can't wait until they all drop it after 1.5 years.

And can't wait fro the Nintendo brand switch travelling bag for only 250$.
Or maybe they are just trying to help cargo pants some in style.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Interesting, but not for me given I couldn't give a single flying toss about handheld/mobile gaming. Nice to see the layout of what I assume is the 'pro' controller, but there'd really need to be a pro-pro version with four underside paddles to get my attention.

Seeing a last gen Bethesda open-worlder running on a Nintendo platform's not exactly something I ever expected to see, though (I wonder what Nintendo's position on mods will be).

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I find it slightly funny that as a heldheld, it looks kind of like a PS Vita, other than that, color me interested, all other things [footnote]price point, game library, ext[/footnote] considered.

Though I do wish they'd pick just two controller schemes and stick with them. It's pretty cool that the two controllers just snap right into the device and you can even modify it to feel more like a traditional controller [footnote]accessory sold separately, good luck finding it on store shelves [/footnote]. I think the pro-controller is a little unnecessary (I guess for bigger hands perhaps? I have tiny hands so that didn't occur to me).

Pleasantly surprised it's the least gimmicky thing they've put out in years, I see one screen that looks to not be a touch screen, no waggle sticks, no sensor bars, just a handheld and a TV dock. I'm also liking the mat finish, rather than that finger-print loving shiny junk the WIIU has.

As for third party support, I don't think it will drop off as dramatically if this is to replace the 3DS. Nintendo's handhelds don't have the same issues as their home consoles. The developers will just make the games as if they're making them for a 3DS, rather than a home console, and then port them to the others. It's worked well enough for other games that start on handhelds (Final Fantasy Type O for example).

Atlus especially could really capitalize on this considering their library is split between the two types already and last time I checked, they didn't care much about high end graphics anyway.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So they fuse the portable console and console together?

It look interesting but I am wondering-

What is the lifespan of the screen before it need to recharge?

I am certain people are going to loose the controller pad!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Somebody please illuminate me on this - doesn't the Wii U already function as a handheld/home console already? What's new here?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, I prefer the name NX. That's a start. And they actually showed the system! You can't misunderstand what it is.

Interesting concept. It's actually better than what I was expecting.

However, I'm curious about the power of the system. If that lags behind the competition, it will bleed third party support. And will likely kill the system. I'm also not sure that this gimmick will get casual people to buy the system like they bought the Wii. Or that it's enough to really get the more hardcore non-Nintendo faithful to adopt the system.

And a coworker watched the video with me and questioned the system's durability.

All in all, I wanna see more.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
So this thing isn't portable? I mean I have pockets that probably could fit that thing but I'm a freak when it comes to fashion.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
That looks fragile and full of many individual parts that can fail.
I'll give it 1 year until those controller things break off.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
Somebody please illuminate me on this - doesn't the Wii U already function as a handheld/home console already? What's new here?
The WiiU game pad doesn't work outside of a limited range, about the space of two rooms in my experience.

Furthermore, if this system can make use of both the home console and handheld backlog, that would be a major advantage. As of now, only the portable systems use the portable backlog and the home consoles use the home backlog. Haven't been able to play a core series Pokemon game on my TV since the original yellow version.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I would be more worried about what all that 'switching' would do to the connectors, there just seems a lot of ways it can break now, and I bet it wont just be a case of replacing the controller...

Look at it, side connectors and screen to dock connection and controllers to controller bridge when in full console mode.

Plus we have no idea of the power of the thing, no specs at all, if it was at least PS4 level then surely that would be in the reveal... power of a PS4 in a Nintendo, after all that was one of the biggest gripes of the Wii U, to bring 3rd party games, the inability to bring multi platform games easily.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
The Wii U's gamepad is tied to the Wii U console, whereas the Switch appears to be a self contained tablet that you can put in a docking station to hook it up to your tv.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
This looks cool!
Now just wait that the companies actually make stuff for it, and the specs so I can read peoples' opinions on how good/bad it actually is. I actually don't mind Graphics that much, and the WiiU quality is just fine for me. But ti's always nice to read how people compare and wonder about the specs of a machine.