Nintendo: No More Switch Info Regarding Titles, Spec, Region Lock This Year

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo: No More Switch Info Regarding Titles, Spec, Region Lock This Year

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1357/1357093.jpg
Nintendo will not release any more official information on Switch titles, spec or region-lock status in 2016.

Nintendo finally revealed it's upcoming home console, the Nintendo Switch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168662-Nintendo-Switch-Revealed#&gid=gallery_6577&pid=1] today, and while it did answer a lot of our questions, it left us with plenty of new ones. The most prominent of which are: "What games will it have, what's the internal specifications, and will it be region locked?" Unfortunately, Nintendo will not be giving us answers to these questions, at least in 2016.

The Wall Street Journal's Takashi Mochizuki [https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/789289178684981248] has stated that a Nintendo representative told him there will be "no more official announcements this year on 1) game titles 2) spec details, including region-lock status." Considering that the system is set to launch in April, 2017, that doesn't really give Nintendo a lot of time to hype it up!

From the announcement trailer, we know that the system will have Skyrim: Special Edition, a new Mario platformer and some kind of NBA game, and will be backwards compatible with Wii U titles such as Splatoon and Mario Kart 8. Additionally, Nvidia have revealed that the system is powered by a custom Tegra processor [https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/10/20/nintendo-switch/].

It would be really, really nice if Nintendo would finally join us in the 21st century and get rid of the region-lock for the Switch...

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj/status/789289178684981248]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I heard (not confirmed) that it is region free, and Bethesda aren't confirming if Skyrim is being released for the console. Seems kinda funny at face value, considering we have seen people playing the game on the console.

Region free would be nice. I will have to learn how to read and speak Japanese again, if that's the case.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Look, they dont -have- to get rid of region lock. They just have to release EVERY GAME for EVERY REGION!. But they wont, so unlock that *****. I would have bought the hell out of a bunch of Japan-Only games for Nintendo systems (Dragon Warrior Monsters remake!!!!) if I could have.

I swear I must come off as bipolar when it comes to Nintendo cause I find myself shitting on them in one response, and defending them with all my might in the next. Id much rather only have nice things to say.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
008Zulu said:
I heard (not confirmed) that it is region free, and Bethesda aren't confirming if Skyrim is being released for the console. Seems kinda funny at face value, considering we have seen people playing the game on the console.

Region free would be nice. I will have to learn how to read and speak Japanese again, if that's the case.
Well, if it's not region locked that would be great, but I am awaiting official support. As for Skyrim being played on the Switch that doesn't mean much. You could play NES games on Xbox One for a short time too. Bethesda has shown that they're intrigued enough to tinker around with the console and get something to run on it, which is something, but we'll have to wait and see if anything comes out of it.

OT: After poor communication concerning the Wii U we have learned from our mistakes and decide no communication around the Switch. Buy our console, please.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
No more official statuses?

Well at least we know for sure that much, so one needn't be looking at Nintendo's channels for such info.

I think it is reasonable to assume that some third parties will reveal upcoming titles for it before new years eve, so one can probably infer some information from what titles they are/how they look like.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
Yopaz said:
OT: After poor communication concerning the Wii U we have learned from our mistakes and decide no communication around the Switch. Buy our console, please.
Their communication is already miles better than it was with the Wii U.

Considering we actually know it's a console from the announcement.
Those who cared knew that with the Wii U too and setting the Wii U as the relative isn't really useful. It's coming in half a year according to what I have understood. Which might not be correct, I have yet to hear something other than March 2017. Excuse me, but I don't really want to trust vague information. When they give a concrete date, when they confirm any kind of details I will be waiting. Now I am speaking as someone who has owned most of their consoles since they released the NES (never got a Virtual Boy), not someone who's just hating Nintendo for being Nintendo. I want them to not fuck this up.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
If they region lock it, I will import the system from Japan. Screw ninteno of america and their censorious fuckery. I played Persona 5 in Japanese and understood it fine, I have no patience for this crap any more.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I'm cautiously optimistic Nintendo may be shifting their stance on region locking. Amiibos at least aren't region locked. I'm hoping the Switch won't be region locked either, but I won't be surprised if it is. It tends to take Nintendo a long time to get with the program, their online play is only just starting to catch up.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
DS was region free so that isn't it. Even on the 3ds you can play Japanese DS games fine. At some point they returned to their old ways for some reason.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
To me it seems that their hardware specs are rather weak (what can you expect from a tablet?) and they want to avoid bad press before the launch... thus not giving any details. Otherwise there would be absolutely no reason to not show off their new flagship consoles hardware.

I mean this is nintendos next big thing.. and they dont even have the confidence to release its specs 4 1/2 monthish before its suposed to be on sale

Also it reeks of arrogance: "No! We have shown you what it looks and that its also portable! No more infos for you you dirty peasants! If you want to know better buy our product! And dont you dare talk about our console on youtube or we will copyright claim everything!" (seriously at this point nintendo is the gollum of youtube)

Nintendo... the company of yesteryear that allways tries to chase the future... and completly ignores the present.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Sounds like a reason not to give a shit about it presently. What is even the point of releasing anything if you aren't going to release basic information such as specs and some potential release titles. How excited can people get of an ad that doesn't tell you anything.

If I see a commercial for laundry detergent, it always indicated two things: it cleans well and it smells nice, and I think most actually have a shot of the laundry in a washing machine. We got a guy not looking like he is having fun playing it, but lucky him he got to take it to the park and not enjoy it! Then a bunch of shots of people traveling and the gimmicky controller and some of the worst split screen I have ever seen.

But it's all about the games! And we didn't get any proof of games, we got a shot of what people want to see, which is a Zelda game.

BayouStalker

May 31, 2011
Honestly I am mostly worried about both battery life, and how fragile it might be. It's one thing to break a gameboy by dropping it, its another thing entirely to break your entire console.

The insta multi player between systems was kinda neat though, and the modular nature I am treating with cautious curiosity.

That said, I think the lack of specs is kinda worrying. As long as it has a smooth frame rate and enough power to encourage companies to actually make games for it, then sweet. Otherwise, it might end up like the rest as they are playing catch up.

Plus this is nintendo, I am fully expecting them to get mad and take their ball and go home if we upset them with one sale of a game when the audience wanted something else entirely. And this is coming from a person who loves nintendo games overall.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Dreiko said:
If they region lock it, I will import the system from Japan. Screw ninteno of america and their censorious fuckery. I played Persona 5 in Japanese and understood it fine, I have no patience for this crap any more.
I am of the same mind at this point. The censorship and bad translations have been ridiculous with NoA recently. If the system is region locked I will simply say screw the whole console and be done with Nintendo. I have given them enough chances to change.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Saelune said:
Look, they dont -have- to get rid of region lock. They just have to release EVERY GAME for EVERY REGION!. But they wont, so unlock that *****. I would have bought the hell out of a bunch of Japan-Only games for Nintendo systems (Dragon Warrior Monsters remake!!!!) if I could have.

I swear I must come off as bipolar when it comes to Nintendo cause I find myself shitting on them in one response, and defending them with all my might in the next. Id much rather only have nice things to say.
This as far as I can tell is more normal among Console Gamers than Nintendo Fanatics. But then again I define Nintendo as a Butterfly Effect of Console Gaming.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Jacked Assassin said:
Saelune said:

This as far as I can tell is more normal among Console Gamers than Nintendo Fanatics. But then again I define Nintendo as a Butterfly Effect of Console Gaming.
In what way? My complaints of console gaming is really just complaints against PC gaming that console gaming some how thinks adopting will be better. Everything great about console gaming is being rather quickly thrown out of the window with this generation of consoles. And PC gaming is highly overrated by people too entrenched in PC gaming to see why people dont join them so readily.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Saelune said:
Jacked Assassin said:
Saelune said:

In what way? My complaints of console gaming is really just complaints against PC gaming that console gaming some how thinks adopting will be better. Everything great about console gaming is being rather quickly thrown out of the window with this generation of consoles. And PC gaming is highly overrated by people too entrenched in PC gaming to see why people dont join them so readily.
That butterfly effect would stem from Nintendo getting Sony mad & Microsoft being afraid of Sony.