Mediocre Videogame Movie Director Uwe Boll Retires, Says "The Market is Dead"

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Mediocre Videogame Movie Director Uwe Boll Retires, Says "The Market is Dead"

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1358/1358456.jpgUwe Boll, the much-maligned director of a number of videogame movies, has announced his retirement from film-making.

German film-maker Uwe Boll, the director behind Alone in the Dark, Bloodrayne, House of the Dead, Far Cry, Postal, and In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale, has announced his retirement from film-making. In an interview with Toronto Metro [http://www.metronews.ca/entertainment/2016/10/20/director-uwe-boll-rampage-of-terrible-films-is-finished.html], Boll said that he was retiring because he's no longer making money from films. He said,

"The market is dead. You don't make any money anymore on movies because the DVD and Blu Ray market worldwide has dropped 80 per cent in the last three years. That is the real reason; I just cannot afford to make movies."

Boll said that he has self-financed all of his films in the last 10 years, and that he only made videogame movies to raise money for the films he really wanted to make. "I've been using my money since 2005 and if I hadn't made the stupid video game based movies I would never have amalgamated the capital so I could say, 'Let's make the Darfur movie," he said.

Boll has been a well-known figure in the world of videogames, largely because of his much-maligned movie adaptations. He's also known for challenging his critics to a YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AebQIy5UNng] when his last Kickstarter campaign failed.

Now that he's retiring, he plans to maintain his film distribution business and Bauhaus, the Vancouver restaurant he owns. Boll says that he hopes that people will go back and watch his films again now that he's done.

"Now when I don't make any more movies maybe they'll find the time to actually watch the movies, starting with Postal in 2005, the movies of the last ten years. They will see they were a lot of very interesting movies and a lot of movies that I think made sense and said a point about things. They deserve to be discussed bigger than they were."

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
And nothing of value was lost.

Glad he is gone, if he is telling the truth. This is a man who made a movie staring Jason Statham and Ron Perlman utterly boring. That should be impossible, but he found a way.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Well, of course it's dead - you kept beating it to death before it could try to be something in the recent years.

MoltenSilver

Feb 21, 2013
You forgot how he ducked fighting Seanbaby as soon as he found out Seanbaby had actual martial arts experience.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm sure the real reason has nothing to do with him no longer being able to exploit that tax loophole in Germany.

Also, 'mediocre'? Brett Ratner is mediocre. Uwe Boll is... I don't know, what worse than that nasty, liquid secretion at the bottom of trash cans?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Mediocre is a funny word.

I never even heard of this guy before I started watching Nostalgia Critic, and from what I've seen, I think it's amazing he even got anywhere. His library is filled with just less funny rubbish than Dungeons & Dragons.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
PointlessKnowledge said:

Glad he is gone, if he is telling the truth. This is a man who made a movie staring Jason Statham and Ron Perlman utterly boring. That should be impossible, but he found a way.
And that movie is arguably his worse one.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Also, 'mediocre'? Brett Ratner is mediocre. Uwe Boll is... I don't know, what worse than that nasty...
Ukomba said:
Wow, mediocre, high praise for the maker of house of the dead.
Mediocre isn't describing him, but his movies.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I'm going to quote My Wife and Kids for this one:
"so long, see ya sucker, bon voyage, arrivederci, later loser, goodbye, good riddance, peace out, let the doorknob hit ya where the good Lord split ya, don't come back around here no more, hasta la vista baby, kick rocks, and get the hell out"

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
Samtemdo8 said:
PointlessKnowledge said:

A lot of his movies are arguably his worst.

Having "mediocre" in the topic title is a kindness.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Living_Brain said:
Casual Shinji said:
Also, 'mediocre'? Brett Ratner is mediocre. Uwe Boll is... I don't know, what worse than that nasty...
Ukomba said:
Wow, mediocre, high praise for the maker of house of the dead.
Mediocre isn't describing him, but his movies.
If his movies are Mediocre, then he's medeocre. If his movies are bad, he is bad. If they're great, he's great. The director is judged based on the quality of his movies, the two are inextricably linked. The quality of the movie is the criteria you use to judge the director, so I'm not sure what kind of distinction you're trying to make.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
MoltenSilver said:
You forgot how he ducked fighting Seanbaby as soon as he found out Seanbaby had actual martial arts experience.
I was just about to say, the whole raging boll thing just showed what a coward the guy is ultimately.

Good riddance I say, from what I've read he mainly made movies to exploit that tax loophole in Germany anyway if I'm not mistaken? What a shoddy person regardless though.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Isn't calling his movies "mediocre" being a bit too generous?

Edit: Seems I'm not alone in this notion. :^)

Edit 2: Seriously though, didn't it come out that crapping out these shitty movies was some elaborate scheme to avoid paying taxes or something?

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
PointlessKnowledge said:

hey now that movie at least gave you those two, tell me any redeeming factor hulk had..........such a bad movie

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Good.

I normally encourage people to pursue their passions, but every rule must have an exception and he's it. It's not even that he's a bad director. There are plenty of bad directors but he's a kinda shitty person to boot.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Isn't calling his movies "mediocre" being a bit too generous?
Apparently, he did make one or two somewhat good movies (which, by coincidence, are also not adaptations of games), weighting it out overall? Maybe?