THQ Nordic Purchases Delta Force and the Rest of the NovaLogic Games Portfolio

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
THQ Nordic Purchases Delta Force and the Rest of the NovaLogic Games Portfolio

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1359/1359125.jpgTHQ Nordic has expanded its games portfolio again - this time by buying all of NovaLogic's games.

THQ Nordic has acquired quite the portfolio of games, including the bevy of games it acquired at the THQ auction [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123462-]. Now it's picked up another group of classic titles by purchasing all of the games owned by long-time developer NovaLogic.

The purchase gives THQ Nordic the entire NovaLogic portfolio, as well as the company's trademark. That means that THQ Nordic now owns all of the following games:

Delta Force series
Comanche series
Joint Operations series
Armored Fist series
Tachyon: The Fringe
F-22 series
F-16 series

That list is not all-inclusive, as the official statement [https://www.thqnordic.com/article/thq-nordic-acquires-all-novalogics-franchises] ends with the words "and more..." In that same statement, John Garcia, owner, founder and CEO of NovaLogic Inc. said of the deal, "After 30 years of creating ground breaking Computer and Video Games we are proud to pass the baton to THQ Nordic. As individuals, they are enthusiastic gamers and as a company have shown the agility and acumen needed to propel our industry towards a much-needed reset. We are happy to see the franchises we created in such capable hands."

It sounds like THQ Nordic may be thinking about doing more with these IPs than just sitting on them, as Reinhard Pollice, Business and Product Development Director for THQ Nordic is quoted in the statement as saying, "We are extremely satisfied with the new additions to our portfolio, and also very thrilled about how to continue some of said franchises, we are open for talks in this regard if any developer approaches us with a concept for a potential sequel to any IP."

We'll have to see where it goes, but the company has already Destroy All Humans sequel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168047-Darksiders-Warmastered-Edition-Announced-Coming-to-PC-PS4-Xbox-One-Wii-U-Later-this-Year], so there's definitely hope.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Awesome. Now they can make a new F-22 game. I have such fond memories playing the F-22 Lightning II on my first Windows 98 PC back when I was just a kid.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
How many games have THQ Nordic actually developed? I hear a lot of what game series they purchase the rights to but not so much about what new games they develop based on these series.

They seem like an IP hog, is all I'm saying.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
Awesome. Now they can make a new F-22 game. I have such fond memories playing the F-22 Lightning II on my first Windows 98 PC back when I was just a kid.
I remember getting a flight stick for Christmas so that I could play Comanche with it. That was the last time I got anything video game related for Christmas...but that's a long story.

I'd love to see a new Comanche game. Hell, I even enjoyed the demo for Tachyon, so I'm really hoping Nordic does something cool with them.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Tachyon The Fringe is what introduced me to the world of online multiplayer gaming and everything that went with it. Cause the community was so small you ended up getting to know everyone and all the clans that went with it (Void Alliance, Neechi, New Dawn) and even when Novalogic had given up the community tried really hard to keep that game alive.

I don't hold out much hope fro a return to those good ole days with a new Tachyon game. This purchase seems more a chance to grab the thin skin of Steam rerelease money from these old games for a small cost.

TelosSupreme

Dec 8, 2015
Damn, I still have my old copies of Delta Force 1 and 2, and I remember playing the demo to Tachyon. If this means digital re-releases, than that would make my day.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Bedinsis said:
How many games have THQ Nordic actually developed? I hear a lot of what game series they purchase the rights to but not so much about what new games they develop based on these series.

They seem like an IP hog, is all I'm saying.
You are correct and looking at their Wikipedia page all they have done is buy the physical release distribution rights for windows versions of other companies games for the European market and rerelease the Darksiders games.

No wait they published MX vs. ATV Supercross.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Laughing Man said:
Tachyon The Fringe is what introduced me to the world of online multiplayer gaming and everything that went with it. Cause the community was so small you ended up getting to know everyone and all the clans that went with it (Void Alliance, Neechi, New Dawn) and even when Novalogic had given up the community tried really hard to keep that game alive.

I don't hold out much hope fro a return to those good ole days with a new Tachyon game. This purchase seems more a chance to grab the thin skin of Steam rerelease money from these old games for a small cost.
Gibbagobba said:
Damn, I still have my old copies of Delta Force 1 and 2, and I remember playing the demo to Tachyon. If this means digital re-releases, than that would make my day.
I am in the same boat. If they can get Bruce Cambell out in space dropping cheesy one liners then I am all in. As for Delta-Force: If they can bridge the gap between Battlefield and Arma then you have one happy camper.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Rumour is they are working on the sequel; F-35. According to my inside sources, they are working very hard to simulate plane failure when it rains. And in order to simulate the aircraft's various software issues, the plane is being governed by a Windows Vista inspired operating system.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Well if nothing else, at least they will release the old games on steam/gog, which is more than Novalogic could ever do.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Holy crap, I remember Delta Force, I think those were literally the very first video games I ever played. I've moved on since those days, but who knows what nostalgia might make me do were a new edition to surface?