Furby Movie Announced - No joke, Just Sadness

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Furby Movie Announced - No joke, Just Sadness

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1359/1359796.jpg

The Chicago Cubs won the World Series and now we're getting a Furby movie. The apocalypse is coming.

Furby [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/hasbro], right?

Speaking at the American Film Market, The Weinstein Company [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/bob+weinstein], and will, unfortunately, be a mix of live-action and CGI.

Isn't Furby an odd property to be making into a film, though? I mean, those things were really popular ... 15+ years ago. Nowadays? Do kids now even know what a Furby is? And if they do, do they really want to watch them on a screen instead of playing with them? Transformers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/transformers]? Okay. I understand that. You can create CGI robots and have them smash into each other, basically bringing a kid's imagination to life (in theory; we know how it worked out). But Furby? I can't be alone here in thinking this makes no sense and also sounds like a horrible idea?

Even the Hasbro executives seemed to think this is a joke. No director is attached, but one of them quipped "We're out to David Fincher [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/david+fincher]."

Whatever, movie industry. Keeping giving us toy advertisements dressed up as films.

For probably unrelated reasons, that reminds me: I have to see Trolls [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/trolls] in a couple of hours.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2016/film/news/afm-bob-weinstein-furby-movie-twc-dimension-1201907667/]

[gallery=6603]

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Why not? They've made movies out of dumber shit...oh my god, they've made movies out of dumber shit.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Sadness? No. Mortal fear? Yes.

Look into the hairy one's eyes.
Do you see love? Trust? Friendship? Even loyalty?

What.

Do.

You.

See?

I'll whisper a little hint.

...Murder. Crazed. Unflinching. Backstabby Murder.

So it is going to be a horror film, right?

Oh, hey, didn't they already do two of these films before? Where you couldn't let them touch water, feed them after midnight and some other rule to do with daylight probably? Yeah, pretty sure they did.
Hmmm...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Is it a horror movie?

And I thought that was a product of the 90's?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Can we blame all of this on Ronald Wilson Reagan?
Please say we can.

On the other hand still not as bad as anything Sonic The Hedgehog related.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
God damnit, Marter....just....just god - fucking - damnit....

Why must you always, ALWAYS be the barer of bad news?

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Y'know what.

Emojis are getting a movie. So let Hasbro do whatever they want. At least they aren't making movies out of internet fads like Pepe and Long cat.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
I mean... at least it sounds like a better concept then... the Emoji movie... seriously what the fuck were they thinking with that one.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
The Rogue Wolf said:
When they said "everything old is new again" I really don't think this is what they meant.
Wrex Brogan said:
Two words: Creative bankruptcy.
This is an insult to Creative Bankruptcy. Creative Bankruptcy looked into the hole these people are digging and went 'Fuck. That.' I mean... christ, when was the last time anyone ever mentioned a Furbie? I think the Simpsons did it last in like, 200-fucking-7. God damn.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Why a Furby of all things? I mean I get making a movie out of stuff like Max Steel since there's a narrative attached to that - no matter how obnoxious it is - but Furby's are just.....there. Is there seriously no other toy that had a story/background world pre-built that they could use instead of this?

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
...What?! I know they're running low on ideas, but this is scraping the bottom of the barrel!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Dragonbums said:
Y'know what.

Emojis are getting a movie. So let Hasbro do whatever they want. At least they aren't making movies out of internet fads like Pepe and Long cat.
They probably will now that you've said it.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Hasbro, do us all a favor and stick to the Equestria Girls series (and hopefully the upcoming MLP movie). They're the only product placement films of yours that have been worth a damn.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
...because it's impossible to create a successful movie based on toys, right? Remember how Toy Story and The Lego Movie were terrible?

Yes, that's sarcasm. Because while there's nothing to guarantee the movie will be good, I don't see anything wrong in the concept. Not original, but, what, it's okay to make adaptations of some material and not others?

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
So is their plan to basically make a really shit version of Gremlins? Because that's about the only thing I can think of to do with the damn things that doesn't solely revolve around destroying them. Seriously, how many people legitimately think about Furbies and go "I actually really miss that"? Not enough to justify a full length movie, I'll tell you that much.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
while I do love ripping on dumb toys, the redesigns do fix some fundamental flaws with the old version, such as the extreme creepiness factor and overall derpiness that made it less endearing and more jar jar binks

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Oh man, the reviews are gonna be glorious.

Also, sorry you have to watch Trolls.