Hacksaw Ridge - The Most Violent Mainstream War Movie in Years

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Hacksaw Ridge - The Most Violent Mainstream War Movie in Years

Hacksaw Ridge is a movie about religion and pacifism ... that also has the most brutal war scenes in recent memory.

Read Full Article

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I'm quite surprised that it took this long for Hollywood to make a movie about Doss' service. They made one for just about every other Medal of Honor winner, but then Hollywood must struggle with a hero who served in three of the biggest battles of the Pacific campaign but never once committed a violent act.

I'm even more surprised it was Mel Gibson that went and made it. I hope his reputation doesn't damage the success of the movie.

<spoiler=hopefully in the movie>My favourite thing about Doss' career, after he was seriously wounded at Okinawa he offhandedly commented that he'd lost the Bible his wife gave him at some point in the battle.
Once the area was clear his entire company went up and down the hill until they found it. That's quite a turn around from the mistrust and open dislike given to a man who refused to carry a weapon.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
<spoiler=hopefully in the movie>My favourite thing about Doss' career is that after he was seriously wounded at Okinawa he offhandedly commented that he'd lost the Bible his wife gave him at some point in the battle. Once the area was clear his entire company went up and down the hill until they found it. That's quite a turn around from the mistrust and open dislike given to a man who refused to carry a weapon.
That part is in the movie! Although they don't wait to fully clear everything out; they find it while he's still on the stretcher, before being lifted down the cliff.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
fix-the-spade said:
I'm quite surprised that it took this long for Hollywood to make a movie about Doss' service. They made one for just about every other Medal of Honor winner, but then Hollywood must struggle with a hero who served in three of the biggest battles of the Pacific campaign but never once committed a violent act.

I'm even more surprised it was Mel Gibson that went and made it. I hope his reputation doesn't damage the success of the movie.

<spoiler=hopefully in the movie>My favourite thing about Doss' career, after he was seriously wounded at Okinawa he offhandedly commented that he'd lost the Bible his wife gave him at some point in the battle.
Once the area was clear his entire company went up and down the hill until they found it. That's quite a turn around from the mistrust and open dislike given to a man who refused to carry a weapon.
My guess is Mel wants to champion the man for his dedication to his faith.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
What is up with these movies showing 2/3 of the movie in the God damn trailer?

If, as you state, only 1/3 of the movie is actually going to war, that means we get to spend 2/3 of the movie wondering if he'll break and change his faith or if the army will not let him go anyway....something the trailer shows doesn't happen.

I suppose there's always the journey but it seems like a giant waste of time to me...

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Saw it a few days ago. It's one of three movies I've seen this year that gets the stamp of "excellent," and is probably the #2 film I've seen in cinemas all year.

One thing I disagree with in the review here is the 'war ratio' idea, that it would have been better with 2:1 in favor of action, rather than 2:1 in favor of dialogue. Thing is, the war scenes, while excellent, would lead to burnout IMO. It's one of the film's two major flaws, that the final scene, given the style of cinematography, is effectively glorifying the carnage, while prior to this, the carnage was to demonstrate that, well, "war is hell." I also never got the sense of being preached at, like, ever. Doss gives his belief, and those beliefs are discussed, but the movie never goes down the route of trying to 'convert' the audience.

The only other real flaw is that I feel the film jumps around a bit - Doss gets through his court martial, then we jump to Okinawa. I think the film would have benifitted by showing some of Doss's training as a medic. His interest in medicine is established beforehand, but I think it could have benefitted from the extra material. Oh, and the historical footage at the end was, IMO, out of place. A nice thought, but it feels like a needless tack-on to what is otherwise a strong ending.

So, yeah. Absolutely loved it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I was at the press conference in Venice when Mel Gibson presented his movie at the festival. It was nice seeing all the people cheering for Mel. He needs the love. Made a pretty good movie too.

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
I notice a lot of divergence in the reception, based on how people view issues like religion, war, and the director.

Some people feel the pacing is too slow and made the movie boring. Others feel it was good to set up the contrast and impact of going to War, and not just War itself.

Some people felt the over-the-top depiction of violence was glorifying it, citing that it was in Gibson's personality and love of violence. Some feel that it was a good implementation of shock value to not glorify the violence of war, but give gravity to what soldiers are put through.

Some people felt the element of Doss' religion was simply a vehicle for the strength of his beliefs and character. Some people felt that any linking of religion to his actions, taints him and the story, into a bible thumping bid to shove religion down people's throats.

I like how their reception of the movie says a lot more about the people watching and reviewing it, than it does the movie itself.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Read up on what he did in Wikipedia. Gibson has a terrible track record in terms of historical accuracy in his films. This soldier deserves to have his story told. I really hope Gibson didn't butcher it for hollywood glam.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
As a former usher who worked at a movie theater I rarely watch movies in theaters because I object to have to pay to watch them. ^_^

As such I watch one...maaaayyyyyybeeeee two films per year. I'm not inclined towards watching this one but I am intrigued enough to look forward to buying the DVD and watching it at home.

Hey, Marter. I want to offer you a thanks for not "spoilering" this movie for your readers. I stopped reading any and every review you made early on because you always ruined entire plots for me by telling readers the entire damned story.

It's been six months since I last checked out one of your reviews. Keep up the lack of spoilers and I'll become a regular fan.

Peace.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
This is the best movie I've seen about the positive influence of religious faith. I just have a quick question for the people who were disgusted by the gore in this movie. Why is the gore in horror movies acceptable, but gore in war movies are shocking? I honestly had no problem with Australian actors playing Americans. I looked at it as an Australian movie about Americans in WWII.

This was a highly anticipated movie for me. I am really glad it didn't disappoint. I may not agree with Mel Gibson as a person. I can't deny that he is a talented actor and director worth watching.