There's Apparently a New Metro Game Coming Next Year

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
There's Apparently a New Metro Game Coming Next Year

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1360/1360850.jpgGreat news - there's a new Metro title in the works at 4A Games.

If you're a fan of post-apocalyptic games, then you're in for some good news this morning. 4A Games is apparently working on a new game in the Metro series, and it's scheduled to release next year.

The news comes by way of the official site [http://metro2035.com/] of the books the games are based on. It's currently promoting the upcoming launch of the newest book in the series, titled Metro 2035. At the bottom of the site's main page, you can see a timeline that includes a final listing for 2017 that reads "The next Metro video game." It also says "It all adds up to something. Where the books end their story, the game will pick it up. An era of great discoveries lies ahead..."

4A Games has been working on Arkita.1, a post-apocalyptic shooter for the Oculus Rift that was announced last month. At the same time, Andriy Prokhorov, Creative Director at 4A Games, announced in a statement [http://www.4a-games.com.mt/news/2016/10/13/community-letter] that Arkita.1 was "the first of two major projects in development at 4A Games." Obviously, it appears the new Metro game is that second title.

The teaser for the newest book may offer a glimpse as to what we can expect to see in the new game. It reads, "The final part of the trilogy takes us back to Artyom and his struggle to get the people back to the above world they once ruled. This is a standalone story that can be read independently from the previous books and games - yet for those who have been following Artyom from the very beginning, Metro 2035 crowns the saga in its own way. Characters of all the books and games meet here, their destinies intertwine, and everything you knew about the world of Metro is turned upside down..."

It's worth pointing out that the timeline for the newest book lists it as coming in 2015, when it's actually releasing next month. Whether that means the game will come in a year behind its listed time as well is anyone's guess. Still, it's great to see that we could get another game in the Metro series in the not-too-distant future. If the previous games are any measure, it could be very much worth the wait.

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
"It's currently promoting the upcoming launch of the newest book in the series, titled Metro 2035"

It's not out yet in english?

Oh boy. Let me tell you: That one is one dark hellhole to dive into.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
D3s_ToD3s said:
"It's currently promoting the upcoming launch of the newest book in the series, titled Metro 2035"

It's not out yet in english?

Oh boy. Let me tell you: That one is one dark hellhole to dive into.
Pretty sure it is out for ages in english. I've seen it IN GERMAN half a year ago.
And 2035 is just the novel-counterpart to Last Light.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Hmmm... well, this is good for me, since I've been on a bit of a Metro binge lately. Never did finish my pacifist goody two shoes playthrough of Last Light from ages ago, though.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Fuck yes! Or whatever the Russian for that is!

I'm curious as to where the plot will go, considering how Last Light deals with the Dark Ones. Perhaps they will go with something I theorised to friends, that Reich Station is now the dominant military power in the Metro. In which case, HAIL REICH!

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
There's a new statement denying the news on the Metro-The Game facebook page. Dunno how legitimate that is.

https://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame/?fref=ts

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Yes! I am always sympathetic to the dark and creepy crawly. It would be nice to meet up with the dark ones again.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Dragonlayer said:
Fuck yes! Or whatever the Russian for that is!

I'm curious as to where the plot will go, considering how Last Light deals with the Dark Ones. Perhaps they will go with something I theorised to friends, that Reich Station is now the dominant military power in the Metro. In which case, HAIL REICH!
It's "Да, бля!"
(the comma is essential, without it it turns into "Да бля!" ("Oh fuck!"))

You're welcome :)
------
On topic
Still haven't played Last Light. Played through 2033 Redux recently and liked it alot (though me being named Artyom IRL and spending a lot of time in the subway could have something to do with it).

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
Bindal said:
Pretty sure it is out for ages in english. I've seen it IN GERMAN half a year ago.
And 2035 is just the novel-counterpart to Last Light.
Well. I've read it "IN GERMAN". It is a sequel to Last Light AND Metro 2034.

Last Light spoiler
The defense battle is a vital plot point

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Metro holds a special place in my heart, namely because of how goddamn amazing it is at world building. In very few games do I sit around the non combat sections drinking it all in, and I did that with Metro. Not just the part where it encourages you at theater, but the countless conversations. The children who don't know what non-mutant animals is, the Reich soldier who suddenly realizes he's not sure if his son knows what a storm is, the man who might die of the Red's bioweapon because he tried to comfort children. And the two soldiers who sit quietly with their friend while he plays the guitar.

Khan said it best. "The Metro is a living, breathing thing. With a heartbeat, pulse, and soul."

I can't wait to go back.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
erttheking said:
Metro holds a special place in my heart, namely because of how goddamn amazing it is at world building. In very few games do I sit around the non combat sections drinking it all in, and I did that with Metro. Not just the part where it encourages you at theater, but the countless conversations. The children who don't know what non-mutant animals is, the Reich soldier who suddenly realizes he's not sure if his son knows what a storm is, the man who might die of the Red's bioweapon because he tried to comfort children. And the two soldiers who sit quietly with their friend while he plays the guitar.

Khan said it best. "The Metro is a living, breathing thing. With a heartbeat, pulse, and soul."

I can't wait to go back.
I love the little lore bits in universe lore you can over hear like The rail chaser or the station master. I also love all the details in the equipment and weapons. They have a realistic feeling to them.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I've been replaying the series again and again recently trying to do a deathless run (hubris always gets me in the Library.)

Metro is truly a phenomenal game if you can stand the linear campaign story-heavy shooter. Even the mechanics are tight. Bullets are money, improvised weapons, throwing knives, scavenging and secrets, good stealth.