Pokemon Sun and Moon Review - Alola Baby!

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Pokemon Sun and Moon Review - Alola Baby!

Pokemon Sun and Moon make some long-needed quality-of-life changes to the series.

Read Full Article

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
There are a lot of spelling errors and a few incorrect terms in this article. Whilst I appreciate the review the editing needs some work done I'm afraid!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Interesting.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since...well....Blue and is a game I've always been kind of interested in getting back into. I picked up and played a more recent Pokemon game but got so confused over all the changes and the new types that I just kind of gave up on it (it had a like....crystal dinosaur on it. It was for the 3DS I believe). Anyway, a noob friendlier Pokemon game might be just what I need to jump back in.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Interesting.

I haven't played a Pokemon game since...well....Blue and is a game I've always been kind of interested in getting back into. I picked up and played a more recent Pokemon game but got so confused over all the changes and the new types that I just kind of gave up on it (it had a like....crystal dinosaur on it. It was for the 3DS I believe). Anyway, a noob friendlier Pokemon game might be just what I need to jump back in.
Probably Pokemon Diamond, for the Original DS - Gen IV. It did have a few more... confusing features that weren't explained too well and that, but at its core was essentially the same Pokemon. Other option could be Omega Ruby for the 3DS, a remake of Gen III, but with a fair bit of stuff reworked for the 3D engine, Mega Evolutions and other such things. And don't worry, I think the new types confuse a lot of older players too, unless they're highly into battling. I still couldn't tell you anything about Fairy, other than its super effective against Dragon.

Sun and Moon will definitely help there, though honestly I think it feels a lot less like a traditional Pokemon game, and if you liked the older formula you may end up a bit put off by Sun and Moon's rather changed up way of doing things. While the same core idea of the game is the same - fight the mini bosses, defeat the evil team [Which, come on, is that not the basic premise of almost all adventure games anyway?] - the world and level design, story delivery, mechanical aspects of play, and a lot of other bits and pieces are completely changed. The game world is also a lot more disconnected, and rather than travelling between areas yourself, you have to use various other modes of transport like a bus, or ferry, or just a teleportation cave [Not explained as a teleportation cave, but you walk in on one end of the mountain, and walk out the other, about half a second of black screen in between]. But hey, defs worth a try, and if it gets you used to some of the new ideas I'd recommend trying out some of the other Pokemon games, as personally I find a lot of them are overall better [X & Y I'd say is a bit worse, Gen V some love I personally hated for its world design, Gen IV is solid but was when things started getting stale, and the others bar Gen II you have my opinion on. Gen II I've always been lukewarm towards. Some parts of it are amazing, some parts of it just annoyed and confused me the first time I played and I've never gotten over that].

More OT: Overall most of the people I talked to think its an interesting Pokemon game. Its a somewhat solid entry into the franchise, with a lot of things to love, and a lot of stuff to hate as well. A lot of new features have potential, like they have for a while in the series, but GameFreak still has some work to do taking full advantage of them, and not succumbing to the weaknesses of the approaches they're trying now. Hopefully next gen will be more polished and better paced, but this gen I'm ambivalent about. Its a very mixed bag.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
tippy2k2 said:
Anyway, a noob friendlier Pokemon game might be just what I need to jump back in.
Take it from a veteran, I've never been hand-held more through a Pokemon game.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
PointlessKnowledge said:
Team Bone, eh? I think you mean Team Skull.
You mean Team Whiteboyrapper?
They can go with the other teams:
Team Mobster.
Team EcoTerrorist A and Team EcoTerrorist B.
Team Scientology.
Team PETA.
Team FashioNazi.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
Redlin5 said:
tippy2k2 said:
Anyway, a noob friendlier Pokemon game might be just what I need to jump back in.
Just to be fair, it doesn't make the game automatically easier.
Heck, from what I've read around other forums, Sun/Moon is the most unfriendly pokemon game to nuzlocke.
Seeing Projared's Moon Nuzlocke got wiped out early against Illma's Smeargle was a hilarious, he lasted 4 hours.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Kaimax said:
Redlin5 said:
tippy2k2 said:
Just to be fair, it doesn't make the game automatically easier.
Heck, from what I've read around other forums, Sun/Moon is the most unfriendly pokemon game to nuzlocke.
Seeing Projared's Moon Nuzlocke got wiped out early against Illma's Smeargle was a hilarious, he lasted 4 hours.
Nuzlocke is its own beast though.
Souplex said:
PointlessKnowledge said:
Team Bone, eh? I think you mean Team Skull.
You mean Team Whiteboyrapper?
They can go with the other teams:
Team Mobster.
Team EcoTerrorist A and Team EcoTerrorist B.
Team Scientology.
Team PETA.
Team FashioNazi.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I don't have a problem with the game being pretty easy, I mean, they've all been getting progressively easier, but it just feels odd that Sun and Moon's solution to 'changing up the formula' is to just basically take things out. People are tired of gyms? Get rid of them for the Trials, which are basically the same thing except that there are cutscenes and you fight less pokemon. Tired of having an HM slave taking up a slot in your party? Don't worry, those are gone too.

The game just drags you from one place to the next, I felt no need to explore because even when the game feels like letting you take a left instead of going straight, it's usually to an area you'll end up in anyway. The other Pokemon games did something similar, I just feel like Sun and Moon are incredibly linear. Linear isn't bad - I don't mind getting taken on a tour - but it just feels a bit off somehow.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
While the games have never been super difficult, I find they've become more difficult in places, rather than easier.

They do explain things a lot better and do a better job of easing you into things, I'll admit.

Although if you think "I gotta grind less because EXP share so that makes the game too easy" then there's nothing I can really do to change your mind, while I'm over here glad I don't gotta spend hours grinding on random pokes because an effing Scyther came outta nowhere and basically I'm just saying that Soul Silver was kinda cheap in places, mkay?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
karkashan said:
While the games have never been super difficult, I find they've become more difficult in places, rather than easier.

They do explain things a lot better and do a better job of easing you into things, I'll admit.

Although if you think "I gotta grind less because EXP share so that makes the game too easy" then there's nothing I can really do to change your mind, while I'm over here glad I don't gotta spend hours grinding on random pokes because an effing Scyther came outta nowhere and basically I'm just saying that Soul Silver was kinda cheap in places, mkay?
I think anyone who for this game says the exp share makes things too easy is giving the "average" player way too much credit. As someone who can play comp and knows what I'm doing, there were a few times I got sweeped in S&M. I can only imagine the frustration of a kid or something getting destroyed by Hau's Alolan Raichu with its stupid speed.