The Last Guardian Director Promises an "Experience Unlike Any Other"

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
The Last Guardian Director Promises an "Experience Unlike Any Other"

Fumito Ueda: "You definitely won't want to miss the ending!"

After multiple delays and many years in development, The Last Guardian is finally set to release on PlayStation 4 next week. Included in the game's media kit, via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-11-29-the-last-guardian-media-kit-includes-a-heartfelt-message-to-fans-from-creator-fumito-ueda], is a note from director Fumito Ueda.

The message acknowledges the game's development woes, with Ueda stating that, while The Last Guardian team "ran into a few twists and turns along the way," the game will be "an experience unlike any other." He then goes on to promise an unmissable ending, and encourages players to "take the time to stop and enjoy the scenery."

You can read the full message below:

Dear adventurers

It's been a long time coming, but I take great pleasure (and relief!) in knowing that The Last Guardian is in your hands.

When we first began work on The Last Guardian, I intended it to take from and build on our experience working on Ico and Shadow of the Colossus, making it something akin to a greatest hits album. Unfortunately, as you know, we ran into a few twists and turns along the way, and the title took longer than anyone expected. Still, just as Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are truly unique games, so too is The Last Guardian an experience unlike any other.

As you play, take the time to stop and enjoy the scenery as you follow these unlikely companions on their journey. And you definitely won't want to miss the ending!

The development team and I hope you all have a wonderful time with The Last Guardian. Nothing would make us happier.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Last time a 3rd games ending created one of the Internet biggest bitchfits. Not gonna fall into the hype for this, wait a few weeks when it's on sale for a post Xmas sale.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Because making promises about the experience of your highly anticipated game worked so well for Peter Molyneux.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
At least they are releasing after No Man's Sky. There is almost no possibility whatsoever of this game having a worse ending than that unless it literally bricks your PS4 upon completion.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dude, I've been disappointed by years long delayed shit games before. This game will be nothing new, cause like 13.88 days worth of drama/memes, then we'll all move on, just like we did with every other shit game.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I want to get excited, but that would go against my "Don't get hyped for anything" policy on games, which has served me very well so far. Wait and see.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Can you guys stop making promises. You aren't politicians. Stop over hyping and bullshitting. Let the players decide on that.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
The Cubs won the World Series and FF XV was just released today so I suppose anything is possible. Except for Half-Life 2: Episode 2 getting a sequel.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
hermes said:
...And you definitely won't want to miss the ending!
Penny Arcade called it 7 years ago.
There is still the 0.01% possibility that neither of them dies. Just look at the endings of their two previous games...

EDIT: Besides, I'd argue about the "is going to be great" part now. It has been in development hell for too long, so who knows how good or bad is going to be. That's why I can't wait to put my hands on it and see how similar and how different it is from ICO, SotC and modern games.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
hermes said:
...And you definitely won't want to miss the ending!
...both of them could die. The baby Gryphon first and then the kid, sad and alone.

But then again, maybe the ending is a happy one, which is why we won't want to miss it, they decided to go against expectation.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
I kinda want everyone to live at the end.

The ending where someone dies seems to have become the norm nowadays. Kinda tired of seeing that.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
The gryphon evolves into a terrifying monster and devours the boy. But the boy is not really a boy, he is a God spirit of nature confined within a flesh prison who's chains were dissolved upon death, allowing the god spirit to be free and initiate a truly epic battle for the fate of their world's flora and fauna. But their battle destroys half the world's life and they must accept their responsibilities by working together to undo the vast damage their primal instincts caused. A quick scene of teamwork based magical life giving abilities (lazy metaphor for sex), cut to a sinister presence emerging from beneath the planet's crust; BWAOOM! Sequel baited the audience as we cut to credits! Or... something like that.

I think this has to be the most cost effective marketing I've seen. Just a message saying "hey guys...game's totes alright and hang about till the end if you can!" Much preferred to the E3 circle jerking. Jirking? No, jerking.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Don't they say that about every other game? Besides this is no different from a platformer with an AI companion.

It's Ico but with better graphics and chicken thing

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Eclipse Dragon said:
Because making promises about the experience of your highly anticipated game worked so well for Peter Molyneux.
I'm pretty sure everybody says the same thing about their product. "It's great". Doesn't take that much of an ego trip.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
"Breaking news! PR Person promises bullshit! More on it later at 6! Stay tuned!"

Right... experience unlike anything before? Oh please....

The "having an incredibly helpfull/cute/adorable animal sidekick" has been done a thousand times over. Neverending story... free willy.. friggin old yeller for crying out loud!

And those allways end the same: Either with letting said helpfull/cute/adorable critter "go free, he will be happier this way" or it dies.

While incredible powerfull in manipulating a persons feelings (yeah its really easy to get attached to those critters) this isnt exactly rocket science or new territory.

So how about letting the game speak for itselfe and not making bullshit claims that you KNOW are just not true? You will only hurt your own reputation in the end.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
It is necessary to appreciate the considerable work to make a title like this, rarely animal psychology is exploited in games, animals are often enslaved and without emotions, this novelty is appreciable.