Stardew Valley Wii U Version Cancelled, Switch Version Announced

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Stardew Valley Wii U Version Cancelled, Switch Version Announced

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1329/1329173.jpg
Stardew Valley developer Concerned Ape says he is scrapping the planned Wii U version of the game in favor of Nintendo's new toy.

Got some good news and bad news for console gaming fans of Stardew Valley [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/stardew%20valley?os=%20stardew%20valley]. Release dates for the console versions have been revealed, but, the Wii U is not among them. Instead, developer Concerned Ape says he is "switching" to the Nintendo Switch.

Stardew Valley will launch in North America for the PS4 on December 13th, 2016, and for the PS4 in Europe and the Xbox One globally the next day. Pre-orders for the Xbox One (globally) and PS4 (Europe only) will begin on November 30th, 2016.

"Stardew Valley will not be coming to the Wii U, however. Looking at Wii U and the current gaming landscape, we made the difficult choice to shift our development efforts to creating a version for Nintendo Switch. I am really looking forward to the Switch, and I believe that the Switch's unique capabilities could create some exciting opportunities for Stardew Valley," wrote Concerned Ape in a blog post [http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-console-release-dates/].

"I do want to emphasize that I am absolutely committed to seeing Stardew Valley on Nintendo platforms, and I really do appreciate your support and understanding in this," he added.

He didn't offer any sort of release window for the Switch version of the game, but given that the console is due to launch in March, 2017, it'll have to be some time after that.

Source: Stardew Valley [http://stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-console-release-dates/]

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
understandable, considering the size of the production. A small studio has to prioritize platforms where their product has a chance of being bought

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
ITT: Stardew Valley Wii U version Cancelled, Wii U (2) Version Announced

Jokes aside, this is good news
Stardew Valley is one of my favourite games and I don't want to see resources wasted porting it to a console that will die as soon as it's successor is released in a couple of months

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
008Zulu said:
I think the three people who own a Wii U might be saddened at this.
As one of those three people I am outraged and humiliated!

joke
...or I would be if I didn't already have it on PC, the far superior platform to consoles in every way imaginable.
/joke

Friendly rivalries aside, as awesome a game as Stardew Valley is I don't have enough money to be buying the same game a second time, and since I already own the game on PC (and still have my PS4 should I suddenly become possessed with the burning desire to burn money on a second copy of a game I already have) this news is pretty much irrelevant to me.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Considering Nintendo itself declared the Wii U obsolete not that long ago, this should surprise nobody.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Everyone really is just writing off the WiiU as a mistake, aren't they. I can see why, because I've been saying that it was since before it even came out. Still, it's cold comfort to all the people who actually bought one and are now stuck with a worthless pile of plastic. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Nintendo immediately discontinues online support for it just like they did for the Wii.