MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced for 2018 Release with New Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries Announced for 2018 Release with New Trailer

A new entry in the MechWarrior series was announced over the weekend at Mech-Con 2016.

In all of the hoopla coming out of PlayStation Experience this weekend (you know, Uncharted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168965-The-Last-of-Us-Part-2-Sequel-Revealed]), you might have missed another big announcement. There's a new, single-player Mechwarrior game on the way.

Titled MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries, the new game is under production at Pirahna Games, the company behind 2013's MechWarrior Online. The MW5 announcement came during the keynote at Mech-Con 2016 over the weekend, and was accompanied by a trailer full of pre-alpha footage.

Set during the Third Succession War, the game will put you in the shoes of a rookie mercenary Mech pilot. You'll take contracts and pilot your mech through the game's career-based campaign. The official description says that you'll engage in "tactical, first-person, PvE 'Mech combat."

Obviously, it's hard to glean much from a trailer for a game that over a year out. Complicating the issue, there are a number of gamers who aren't all that happy with how Piranha's MWO has turned out, as you can see from the YouTube comments on the trailer. Still, there are many MechWarrior fans who have been waiting for a single-player game who are more than willing to give this one a chance. We'll just have to wait and see what it becomes between now and launch.

You can find some more info on the game over on its official site [http://www.mw5mercs.com/].

[gallery=6658]

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
I had a wonderfull stint playing MWO for free (later threw in some money) first half of this year.
It's great gameplay, and I cannot wait for this: FUCK YEAH!!!! MW5 after all these years!!!! :D :D :D

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Not to get all ranting fanboy, the Raven was developed in 3024 but the game is set in 3015; they really should have used a different mech.

Other than that, really enjoyed MWO for a year or so, but I want more than PvP in a game so hopefully this'll scratch the mech itch.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Boo it's set before the Clan Invasion, it's disappointing that I will not be reunited with the Timberwolf and it's long range face wreck launchers.

Based on MW:O it should play well, hopefully Piranha will behave themselves too, I'm still irritated by their behaviour towards the Living Legends crew.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I got really excited for MWO and was one of the first to sign up, and I'm excited for this too.
Though, the pilot of the Shadow Hawk in the video makes me cringe.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So let's see...
Next year I'll be getting a new Battletech TBS game, a new Mechwarrior game, and several pieces of Battletech merch, including not one but two novellas?

Pinch me I must be dreaming.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
Kinda looks like they just slapped a bunch of MWO assets together and made a hasty cutscene.

While I wasn't a Founder or anything for MWO, I did play it on and off across quite a few years. And they basically added a lot of redundant mechs, never managed to really balance the game right, added less than 5 new maps as far as I can recall and completely butchered community warfare.

So my trust in Pirahna Games is in slightly short supply.

I think they could take a lesson or two from the original old MW5 trailer in trying to make something exciting. Circling around a building and bullying a Raven with a Shadowhawk is kinda eh what.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
It looks ok. Not great. I'm more interested in the Hairbrained Schemes Battletech game as my first foray into this universe.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Looks very outdated. Environment looks like crap. No destruction? What is this, 2006? Seriously, this looks like a very dated game without features. MechWarrior, time to walk into the 21st Century!

Feb 7, 2016
Deathfish15 said:
Looks very outdated. Environment looks like crap. No destruction? What is this, 2006? Seriously, this looks like a very dated game without features. MechWarrior, time to walk into the 21st Century!
"Pre-Alpha"

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Silentpony said:
If only AccursedTheory was still around to appreciate this. But he's locking on those LRMs in heaven now.
Wait, what? What are you talking about? I just looked up his profile (now weirdly DefunctTheory) and it says he was last on a couple of days ago. Or are you just being cheeky?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Wings012 said:
Kinda looks like they just slapped a bunch of MWO assets together and made a hasty cutscene.

While I wasn't a Founder or anything for MWO, I did play it on and off across quite a few years. And they basically added a lot of redundant mechs, never managed to really balance the game right, added less than 5 new maps as far as I can recall and completely butchered community warfare.
To be honest, this is kind of why I'm optimistic here. MWO was a good mech game, but a terrible multiplayer one. Take all the assets and gameplay and put them in a decent single player campaign, and you'll have exactly what a lot of us wanted all along.

Chefsbrian

Jun 25, 2012
I'm optimistic. MWO was a bit of a mixed bag, but almost all the flaws I can think of with it came from it having to be a multiplayer game. They didn't manage to balance things very well because of the need for everything to be viable, ultimately just a handful were useful, and the rest were sub-par.

A singleplayer game throws that right out the window, you can have strictly superior mechs, and just make them bloody expensive so the players don't get them until later.

Bit of a long shot here but I'd love it if it had VR support as well. Cockpit based games work well for VR, and VR Mechwarrior would be absolutely incredible.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Vigormortis said:
So let's see...
Next year I'll be getting a new Battletech TBS game, a new Mechwarrior game, and several pieces of Battletech merch, including not one but two novellas?

????????????

Please elaborate, I would like to know more.

Mechamorph

Dec 7, 2008
Elijin said:
Vigormortis said:
So let's see...

????????????

http://battletechgame.com/

A new TBS is coming next year set prior to the Clan invasion Rimward from the core Successor States in the Periphery. It is being developed by Harebrained Schemes, the chaps behind Shadowrun Returns. So far what we know is that you have a special Jumpship as a base while you try to liberate a state from an occupying army and restore the rightful rulers.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Neat. I hear TBS mech tactics and go to my happy place of Front Mission 3. Why won't anyone make games in that genre anymore!? *angry fist shaking*

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Elijin said:
????????????

Mechamorph already provided a link to the official site, but if you're interested in an early look at the pre-alpha of the game, here's a video demonstration Harebrained Schemes offered up to the Kickstarter backers -

The more I see of it the more it feels like a straight mashup of Mechcommander and the Battletech miniatures tabletop game. And there's nothing about that that I don't love...

I'm also amazed at how good the game looks already, especially for being such an early build running on Unity.