Player Housing Coming to Elder Scrolls Online Early Next Year

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Player Housing Coming to Elder Scrolls Online Early Next Year

Soon, you'll be able to purchase and customize your own house in The Elder Scrolls Online.

If you've always wanted to own a little piece of Tamriel, you'll get your chance early next year. Zenimax Online has announced the next update, aptly titled "Homestead."

Homestead will add player housing to the Elder Scrolls MMO, allowing players to purchase and customize their own homes. As is the case in most MMOs, the homes will be instanced. That's good, because you don't have to fight with other players for the location that you want, but it's bad because no one else can see your home, unless you invite them in.

Homestead will launch with "nearly 40 unique homes" and "over 2,000 individual decorative and furniture options." These homes will be designed after each of the game's 10 playable races, but you'll be able to own any of those homes, no matter what race you are. The lone exception is the Imperial home, which requires you to own the "Digital Imperial Edition Upgrade." All these homes will be located in base zones, so you won't have to own any DLC to get to them. Even better, you can own multiple homes, and home pwnership is account-wide, so all of your characters can access any homes you own.

You'll also be able to craft your furnishings, buy them with in-game gold, or purchase them with Crowns (the game's premium currency) in the Crown Store. Also coming in this update are Achievement Furnishers, who will sell you special items once you have completed the required achievements (and this will be retroactive). You will also be able to place crafting stations, pets, assistants, and more in your home.

There's a ton of information on the newest update available on the official Elder Scrolls Online website [http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/12/06/introducing-homestead]. The update is scheduled to launch in February 2017.

[gallery=6661]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
The only thing i can think about when reading about this update is just how generally superior RuneScapes player housing system was.

Over a decade ago.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Looking forward to it. The Craglorn cave looks like it's large enough to function as a guild hall. Since some of the houses shown are "small" or "medium", I wonder how sizes work. Would your furnishings get banked if you upgrade from small to large, or would it just add more rooms? I'll have to see how item placement works. From the screenshots, it looks along the lines of Vanguard's "put anything anywhere" system, likely with some caveats. If so, then with a wide enough space, I could construct a maze using bookcases or similar walled furnishings. Telling guildies "the maze wasn't meant for you" would light up my day. \W/

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Groovy, been looking forward to this update. Gonna buy a house, stuff it full of sweetrolls until I can't get the door open, then sell it again for major gains.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
Every time I see news about player housing being added to a MMO I get the urge to play Landmark again. Then I actually sit down and play it...

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Proto Taco said:
Every time I see news about player housing being added to a MMO I get the urge to play Landmark again. Then I actually sit down and play it...
Utterly disappointing, what little I played of it. Maybe if EQNext was not cancelled it might have expanded further but the SOE buyout killed that. MMOs with housing need preset buildings in order to work properly. Decor can work innumerable ways but the buildings themselves should be static as the average player doesn't have the time or creativity to build a house from scratch, not to mention the fact that whatever is built simply would not mesh well with the rest of the game.