Valve Announces Nominees for the First Annual Steam Awards

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Valve Announces Nominees for the First Annual Steam Awards

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1369/1369053.jpgThe nominees for the first annual Steam Awards are now finalized. Voting begins tomorrow.

During the Autumn Steam Sale last month, Valve added in the the ability for users to nominate any game in the catalog for a series of awards. Rather than the typical "Game of the Year" type awards, the categories included things like the "Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" Award and the "Love/Hate Relationship" Award. As you'd expect when nominating is part of a Steam Sale, the response was pretty massive. Valve announced today that it received over 15 million nominations. The company has whittled those down to the nominated games you see below.

Each day from December 22 through December 29, a new category will open up for voting. Each will only be accepting votes for 24 hours, so you'll need to visit daily to get your votes in. Happily, tomorrow also marks the beginning of the Steam Winter Sale, so that's good news.

On December 30, four categories will open at once, and you'll be able to vote once in each of them. All winners will be announced on New Year's Eve. Here are the official nominees (the italicized descriptions are from Valve's official blog post [http://store.steampowered.com/news/26415/]):

The "Villain Most In Need Of A Hug" Award
Voting Date: December 22

Borderlands 2
Dead by Daylight
Far Cry 3
Far Cry 4
Portal 2

Some people just need a hug.

The "I Thought This Game Was Cool Before It Won An Award" Award
Voting Date: December 23

Euro Truck Simulator 2
Paladins
Starbound
Stardew Valley
Unturned

This title didn't have a huge marketing machine behind it, but you found it and loved it. Then you told your friends about it. And they loved it. And now that little game that could is about to win an award... but always remember: you totally found it first.

The "Test of Time" Award
Voting Date: December 24

Age of Empires II HD
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Sid Meier's Civilization V
Team Fortress 2
Terraria

This award is for the game that is just as good today as the day you first played it. Newer games may come out, but it doesn't matter... you'll always come back to play this one.

The "Just 5 More Minutes" Award
Voting Date: December 25

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Rocket League
Sid Meier's Civilization VI
Fallout 4
Terraria

You have an early day tomorrow. You need to get some sleep, so you're just going finish one more thing before you decide to tuck in for the night. Just one more. Wait, one more. What's that you say? It's 2:30 AM? This award is for the game that keeps you playing late.

The "Whoooaaaaaaa, dude!" Award
Voting Date: December 26

Bioshock Infinite
DOOM
Grand Theft Auto V
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Some games melt your face. Maybe it was a crazy plot twist. Maybe you just got your wisdom teeth removed. Either way, this game BLOWS YOUR MIND.

The "Game Within A Game Award" Award
Voting Date: December 27

Garry's Mod
Grand Theft Auto V
The Stanley Parable
Tabletop Simulator
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Kinder Eggs. Peanut Butter Cups. Jelly Donuts. All great things stuffed with other great things. Like a mighty turducken, this award celebrates the best mini game hidden within another game.

The "I'm Not Crying, There's Something In My Eye" Award
Voting Date: December 28

Life Is Strange
To the Moon
This War of Mine
Undertale
The Walking Dead

Games are fun. But sometimes games become more than that, and touch you in a way you weren't expecting. This award celebrates the game that blindsided you emotionally. You weren't expecting to cry. It wasn't in the plan. But it happened nonetheless.

The "Best Use Of A Farm Animal" Award
Voting Date: December 29

ARK: Survival Evolved
Blood and Bacon
Farming Simulator 17
Goat Simulator
Stardew Valley

Animals are rad and almost any game is better for including them. This game used a farm animal in the best way possible.

The "Boom Boom" Award
Voting Date: December 30

BroForce
DOOM
Just Cause 3
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Kerbal Space Program

Let's face it: explosions are pretty great. In a blockbuster movie they're thrilling. In a celebration with fireworks they're beautiful. And when they're behind a cop putting on sunglasses they're nothing short of glorious. These games understand the fine art of detonation.

The "Love/Hate Relationship" Award

Dark Souls III
Darkest Dungeon
Dota 2
Geometry Dash
Super Meat Boy

"Games are just supposed to be fun!"... oh sweet summer child, your naivety is adorable. Games can be more than fun. They can be challenges that demand perfection. These games are punishing gauntlets that make you question your very skill... a crucible that will push you either to greatness or a breaking point. You will wake up family members as you scream. Words will come out of your mouth that would make your mom blush. Your chill friends will ask you, "Why do you play something that stresses you out?"... and you will stare at them with steely eyes and reply, "Because I love it."

The "Sit Back and Relax" Award

ABZU
Cities Skylines
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Mini Metro
Viridi

Did you read the description for the "Love/Hate Relationship" Award? This is the opposite.

The "Better With Friends" Award

Don't Starve Together
Gang Beasts
Golf With Your Friends
Left 4 Dead 2
Magicka

There are some games out there that just aren't the same when you play by yourself. Maybe you need to have a friend to watch your back. Maybe you need to have a friend that you can stab in the back. Either way, mirth is awaiting those that gather friends to play these games.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Would be nicer if they invested that effort into making some working quality control. But nah, would actually require them to start working instead of earning money on other people's work.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
BiH-Kira said:
Would be nicer if they invested that effort into making some working quality control. But nah, would actually require them to start working instead of earning money on other people's work.
Or make another game. I'm not even talking about Half Life 3. I'm just saying it'd be nice for them to actually make and release a game.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
The Enquirer said:
BiH-Kira said:
Or make another game. I'm not even talking about Half Life 3. I'm just saying it'd be nice for them to actually make and release a game.
Not gonna happen. Not ever again.

They have no reason to.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Am I the only one who's excited about Undertale getting nominated for an award?

I spent a whole minute shouting "YES!!" When I read that part.

Battenberg

Browncoat
Aug 16, 2012
To paraphrase "each category's only open for 24 hours and it's running from 22nd to 29th". Why do it this way? Whatever categories end up on Dec 25th (and to some extent 24th) are surely going to take a huge hit in the number of people who actually vote on them. Even putting that aside I personally don't see myself making a point of checking in with Steam every 24 hours for 8 days straight to vote on these things at any time of the year, let alone the Christmas period.

Then again they also thought greenlight having zero quality control was a good idea so maybe I should have expected them to go for something contrived and unnecessary with this.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm really surprised that Undertale just ended up in one category. I was sure it would end up in blown mind too.

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Is it just me, or barring maybe one or two categories do the steam users that nominated this stuff have pretty shit taste? Like, Bioshock Infinite for being mind-blowing, -really-?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
What a disappointing list. Terraria is on the test of time list? And Skyrim? What? Hopefully Undertale takes a category.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
I can see some of my voted games got in the listings but I have to say the Game within a Game reward has some strange choices. At least Witcher 3 and Gwent got in.

Xorph said:
Is it just me, or barring maybe one or two categories do the steam users that nominated this stuff have pretty shit taste? Like, Bioshock Infinite for being mind-blowing, -really-?
I'm guessing the Booker revelation was more surprising for other players.

Fox12 said:
What a disappointing list. Terraria is on the test of time list? And Skyrim? What? Hopefully Undertale takes a category.
Well both Terraria and Skyrim are still one of the most played games on Steam so I'm guessing that's why so many people voted for them. What I'm more disappointed about is that the community suggested award categories seem so... boring. Love/Hate Relationship, Sit back and Relax and Better with Friends just seem like very generic choices.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Nile McMorrow said:
I can see some of my voted games got in the listings but I have to say the Game within a Game reward has some strange choices. At least Witcher 3 and Gwent got in.

Xorph said:
I'm guessing the Booker revelation was more surprising for other players.

Fox12 said:
Well both Terraria and Skyrim are still one of the most played games on Steam so I'm guessing that's why so many people voted for them. What I'm more disappointed about is that the community suggested award categories seem so... boring. Love/Hate Relationship, Sit back and Relax and Better with Friends just seem like very generic choices.
I would be fine with those games being popular, but their both games that came out within the last generation. You'd think they'd choose games that were already classics.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Major_Tom said:
Aw, they didn't use my "Tacticoolest game" category.
If it's any consolation, my favorite modern "Tacticool" game has to be FarCry 3, especially once you've got Brody kitted out with a full set of guns.

Heavy-duty jury-rigged weapon slings, arrow quivers, pouches made out of golden tiger hide for money, pockets stuffed with natural hallucinogenic and antibiotic compounds - there's nothing that's quite as Tacticool in my opinion.

Except maybe Adam Jensen.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
woah woah! GTAV and stanley parable for a game withing the game? did i miss something in them? they didnt have anything like that

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I...can't actually remember what I nominated. Does anyone know where you can check your personal nominations?
sagitel said:
woah woah! GTAV and stanley parable for a game withing the game? did i miss something in them? they didnt have anything like that
Going by the YouTube content, the fun in GTA5's multiplayer lies in doing anything but the actual game modes. It's one of the biggest "fuck around and make your own game modes" games this side of GMod.

And The Stanley Parable is a 'game within a game' in a more meta way.
008Zulu said:
Aww. For Best Use of a Farm Animal, I nominated 'Plague Inc'. Sad it wasn't on the list.
Oh that's clever.
Xorph said:
Like, Bioshock Infinite for being mind-blowing, -really-?
Fuck yeah BioShock Infinite, but not because of the story. When I first saw Columbia in all its splendour my eyes became saucers. Not sure I voted for it, but I can get it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
All I care about is that Walking Dead got into the 'Something in My Eye' category.

Sadly, Undertale will probably win through sheer popularity though. So it goes.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
All things being equal (as in taking into account people will vote for things they like even if it doesn't make sense) the only thing that stands out to me in any way is Life is Strange, though I suppose my inability to make a connection with genuinely detestable characters who are poorly written has something to do with that.

Everything else I can understand how they got nominated.

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
Misterian said:
Am I the only one who's excited about Undertale getting nominated for an award?

I spent a whole minute shouting "YES!!" When I read that part.
Must be a mean what is the point of these awards? Is Valve so up it's own arse now that they believe an award that they have made up suddenly makes a game worth something? You're talking about a made up award gifted to you by a company that allows you to literally post a two minute render of a steaming shit on their Greenlight page provided you pony up the dosh. Are Valve expecting developers to hang these 'awards' on their wall as some sort of badge of honour?

I'm really surprised that Undertale just ended up in one category. I was sure it would end up in blown mind too.
Well it;s obvious the category system and how you end up in one is a bit broken. How exactly can Civ 5 appear in the stand the test of time category but then get beaten out by Civ 6 in the one more turn category? Civ 5 and Civ 6 are fundamentally the same game only Civ 5 is simply a hell of a lot better.