Free Mafia III DLC Out Now, Adds Car Customization, Races, and More

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Free Mafia III DLC Out Now, Adds Car Customization, Races, and More

Adds Racing Mode, car customization, and more.

Hangar 13 and 2K have released a new, free update form Mafia III, bringing with it new car customization option, a racing mode, and new outfits.

In the blog post announcement, 2K stated that car customization was "one of the big requests" from players, and the free update adds "some seriously cool" options for 10 cars - six that you can earn through play, three that are included in the Family Kick-Back, and a new 10th car that you can unlock by placing in the top spots in the car races. You can customize decauls, spoilers, superchargers, and more by visiting one of the Big Rick's Garage locations, making for over 50 unique customizations.

The update also adds a racing mode (where you can unlock that 10th car), with 12 races currently available - six circuit lap races and six point-to-point races. While placing in a top spot gets you that car, it also unlocks the aforementioned customization options.

"The races become available after the first sit-down with all three lieutenants," the post advises. "Whenever you're cruising around the open world (and not getting chased by the cops), look for the race markers on the map and drive on over in your favorite sports or exotic car."

Finally, the update also adds three new outfits for Lincoln: "Bad, Bad Mr. Burke," "On the Prowl," and "The Classico." The last one can only be obtained by linking a My2K account to the game, and comes complete with the Il Duca revolver.

[gallery=6704]

"We were laser-focused to deliver this racing update so that you could roll into the New Year in style, but we do have more coming early next year," the post concludes, "Namely, more customization and the ability to further enhance the performance of the cars in your fleet."

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Am I the only person you has never cared for this game? It seemed incredibly dull to me, though I haven't played. I just never really got hyped for it. Seemed like just another "open-world" shooter.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Borty The Bort said:
Am I the only person you has never cared for this game? It seemed incredibly dull to me, though I haven't played. I just never really got hyped for it. Seemed like just another "open-world" shooter.
No, I seriously don't know anyone who's still playing the game at this point. Nor anyone who'd care for this DLC.

General opinion amongst people I knew was that the game was pretty "Meh", and lacked what people wanted from a Mafia game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Borty The Bort said:
No, you're not. In fact most of the reviews that I saw universally panned it. The biggest nail in the coffin was the rinse-and-repeat gameplay loop. Doing the same three missions over and over again, numerous graphic/texture bugs, and while it attempts to tackle the notion of racism, they undermine any message or commentary on that note when they go waaaaay too over-the-top with the Irish mob boss. My understanding is that they all but made him a drunken leprechaun stumbling around with a bottle of whiskey in his hand asking people if they've seen his pot of gold.

Disclaimer: I haven't played the game myself, just pointing out stuff that I read from various reviews.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Borty The Bort said:
Nope. To me, it's just another of those "taking themselves serious" crime sandbox games, that seriously clash with what the players end up doing most of the time while the gameplay itself is just the usual stuff.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
The Lunatic said:
Borty The Bort said:
No, I seriously don't know anyone who's still playing the game at this point. Nor anyone who'd care for this DLC.

General opinion amongst people I knew was that the game was pretty "Meh", and lacked what people wanted from a Mafia game.
Yeah pretty much, its a real pity though, the game has an incredibly strong and memorable first hour that hooks you in quite hard. It just sucks that it falls so flat on its face straight after with a really repetitive game loop that emphasizes focus on everything the game doesn't do right, which is everything that's not its gameplay haha. The gunfights in the game are pretty brutal at least which is nice I guess.