Double Dragon 4 Arrives on PlayStation 4, PC in 2017

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Double Dragon 4 Arrives on PlayStation 4, PC in 2017

In celebration of the 30th anniversary of Double Dragon, Arc System Works has announced Double Dragon 4 - and it's coming out next month.

On June 1, 2015, game developer Arc System Works bought the rights a number of games [http://arcsystemworksu.com/arc-system-works-acquires-property-rights-of-double-dragon-super-dodge-ball-kunio-kun-series-from-million-co-ltd/], including the Double Dragon series. Today, Arc System Works officially announced Double Dragon 4 - and more than that, in celebration of the series' 30th anniversary, the game will be released in January.

On January 30th Double Dragon 4, the first numbered Double Dragon game since 1990, will be available on PC and PlayStation 4. Few details have been provided about the sequel, but there is a nearly 2-minute-long teaser trailer that reveals a few details, like that the game will feature both a story mode and a two player duel mode, as well as the return of some of the original team, including producer Takaomi Kaneko and director Yoshihisa Kishimoto.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Double Dragon 4...so, eight, then? ^_^

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
So, the first minute+ is just the old games...
To show how much hasn't changed?

The most important new thing I saw was a super annoying row of retracting spikes.
We wanna beat people in the face, not dodge crap from the floor whilst getting face punched by enemies that are immune to said spikes...

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Kenjitsuka said:

The most important new thing I saw was a super annoying row of retracting spikes.
We wanna beat people in the face, not dodge crap from the floor whilst getting face punched by enemies that are immune to said spikes...
So...exactly like the old games then...Oh boy, you know what I want? A game with platforming sections and no jump button.

I can't tell if this looks awful or not. I don't like that this and Megaman have just decided to play of nostalgia for NES graphics, but if it plays good I guess that's alright. I guess I'll have to see how it controls for more than 4 seconds.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Given the pre-existence of the superior looking arcade versions and the relatively recent offering of the significantly better-looking Double Dragon Neon, making a game that looks like the NES versions just feels... lazy.

Don't get me wrong, there are games that have done interesting and worthy things with imitating the resolutions, palates, and art techniques of the 8-bit era. But the NES version of DD wasn't even the best version in its own era. Successfully creating something that looks (and, God forbid, plays) like the NES Double Dragon seems like expecting the people at the Grand Prix to be impressed that you managed to design a wheel from scratch.

Not, like, a modern automobile tire, mind you. Like, a stone disk out of a B.C. cartoon. Maybe a wagon-cart wheel, at best.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
See, it's not that hard to release a game overlapping with a game's Xth anniversary, Nintendo! Still don't know why you couldn't do that for Metroid!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
JCAll said:
Kenjitsuka said:

So...exactly like the old games then...Oh boy, you know what I want? A game with platforming sections and no jump button.

I can't tell if this looks awful or not. I don't like that this and Megaman have just decided to play of nostalgia for NES graphics, but if it plays good I guess that's alright. I guess I'll have to see how it controls for more than 4 seconds.
It's called Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z, and it sucks hard. Avoid at all costs.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Looks like garbage. Double Dragon Neon was excellent and should have been their reference point. This on the other hand looks like garbage.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
I really like the Double Dragon series at the time, but if the artistic direction is still as disastrous, it will be without me..