Razer Announces Triple-Monitor Laptop Concept at CES

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Razer Announces Triple-Monitor Laptop Concept at CES

Razer's hoping to take laptop gaming to the next level with Project Valerie - a triple-monitor 12K gaming laptop.

Razer is well-know for its PC gaming hardware, and of late they're also been praised for its Blade series of gaming laptops as well. Today at CES the company offered up a glimpse of the future of gaming laptops when it unveiled a new concept device named "Project Valerie." What makes it special? For starters, it's a laptop with three monitors.

Yes, you read that right. The laptop will feature three 17.3 inch, 4K IGZO displays equipped with Nvidia G-Sync technology. The additional displays mechanically slide out of the main screen and moves into place. That means you can have 180 degree Nvidia Surround View gaming in a CNC aluminum package that is 1.5 inches thick and weighs just 12 pounds. Oh, and it's powered by Nvidia GTX 1080.

Here's what it looks like in action:

The laptop features Razer's Ultra-Low-Profile Mechanical keyboard switches and Razer Chroma color lighting support, as well as a custom-designed fan and dynamic heat exchangers pair with a vapor chamber to maximize cooling.

Obviously, this is just a concept at this point. That said, it's a really cool concept. Of course, it's bound to be a pricey one as well. It's a little crazy, but I can't deny I'd love to take one for a spin. If you want to see more about it, you can find all the info over at Razer's official site [http://www.razerzone.com/project-valerie].

[gallery=6752]

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
All at a stunning 20fps!

In all seriousness, this is pretty neat on an engineering and construction standpoint. The idea of those slide-able monitors is really cool and I hope something comes of that. Obviously CES is about showing what's possible so manufacturers can figure out what's applicable to the real world market. This seems silly to me but I'm with you... I'd love to get a chance to play with one of them. It's amazing how light they've been able to make it.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
At the price of $6000, your kidney and your first born child, it will be an absolute bargain.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
How much more expensive is it then just buying the equivalent hardware for a triple screened desktop and a lower end off the shelf laptop instead?

Shdwrnr

Waka waka waka
May 20, 2011
I'm wonder if it features an impressive battery life of one half of ten minutes.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Imre Csete said:
Pyrian said:
This would be kind of hilarious to use at a Starbucks.
With the Razer Chroma mug and coaster!
Now with RGB technology!

In all seriousness, unless the laptop has serious upgrade capability, I can forsee this becoming obsolete much faster than the average laptop. It'd be a really cool idea for a workstation laptop, but for gaming, I feel like the battery drain is going to be so immense, you'd need to leave it plugged in more often than not.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Not to mention, a 17" 4k display is going to be awful. You'd need a microscope to see anything. Common consensus is 32"+ for 4k resolutions. If you're stretching the picture for gaming it might not be as big a deal but I'd love to see someone web browsing on a single screen.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
It's all renders, wake me up when they make that thing for realz and prove the reliability (and stability/non-vibration) of those hinges..

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Zontar said:
How much more expensive is it then just buying the equivalent hardware for a triple screened desktop and a lower end off the shelf laptop instead?
There's no price listed, but since the 19' gaming laptop I bought maybe five or six years ago was $2500, I'd estimate this damn thing to be closer to $6000. So for that you could build a totally bitching tri or quad monitor PC and still get a decent mid-range laptop. You might not be able to go 4K on all displays but you'd probably get away with 1440p.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Gordon_4 said:
Zontar said:
There's no price listed, but since the 19' gaming laptop I bought maybe five or six years ago was $2500, I'd estimate this damn thing to be closer to $6000. So for that you could build a totally bitching tri or quad monitor PC and still get a decent mid-range laptop. You might not be able to go 4K on all displays but you'd probably get away with 1440p.
Before it got stolen I had a decent rig (1000$) that could pay anything of the day at above 50 fps on max and was wired for 3 monitors. I honestly doubt I couldn't build another set up like that, and for 6000 I'd definitely be able to get three 1440p monitors running GTA V at 60 fps with enough money on the side to get a better laptop then the one I'm using now.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
I think twe've jumped the shark from laptop. to portable desktop with no upgradeability.

I mean honestly, can you see this thing in someone's lap?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I remember Lenovo making a duel screen laptop a few years ago and the primary users of it (photojournalists) had a love-hate relationship with it because it essentially meant the time on the plane they used for sleep got used for touch up work now that they could preview the image on the second screen...

As for this one, considering the laptop could only be set up on a devoted coffee table or desk, you might as well just up your own graphics card(s) on your desktop and buy brand new monitors for a fraction of the cost...

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
kiri3tsubasa said:
That would make a great workstation Laptop.
Assuming they fit a powerful enough graphics card in there. I know I use a Cintiq as both a tablet and a second monitor when working with either Maya/Blender/3DS Max or Photoshop and alternating which one has the program (Maya/Blender/3DS Max on the main monitor and Photoshop on the Cintiq) and which one has the photo references I rely on.

Having them both on with a 680M has a noticeable effect on application performance so they are going to have to put some serious horsepower in there if they want reasonable performance (more so affecting Photoshop than my 3D applications weirdly enough). I seriously wonder if a 1080 is enough given the quirks in performance that do not scale linearly with the differences between desktop and laptop GPUs.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
The Gentleman said:
I remember Lenovo making a duel screen laptop a few years ago and the primary users of it (photojournalists) had a love-hate relationship with it because it essentially meant the time on the plane they used for sleep got used for touch up work now that they could preview the image on the second screen...

As for this one, considering the laptop could only be set up on a devoted coffee table or desk, you might as well just up your own graphics card(s) on your desktop and buy brand new monitors for a fraction of the cost...
I can see the value in the 'workstation in a bag' thing that the laptop is clearly aiming at, but it would be a niche market for people who traveled very frequently or space is limited in an apartment or some other small living space.

Perhaps they'll just build these to order rather than crank them out as a standard production model.

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Zontar said:
Gordon_4 said:
Zontar said:
Before it got stolen I had a decent rig (1000$) that could pay anything of the day at above 50 fps on max and was wired for 3 monitors. I honestly doubt I couldn't build another set up like that, and for 6000 I'd definitely be able to get three 1440p monitors running GTA V at 60 fps with enough money on the side to get a better laptop then the one I'm using now.
Oh hell yeah, you'd need to be technology blind or just fiscally retarded to not be able to build a god tier gaming rig AND a second portable device for 6k. Fuck I could fulfill all my PC gaming needs, stationary and portable, for probably 3k or less.

Saulkar said:
kiri3tsubasa said:
That would make a great workstation Laptop.
Assuming they fit a powerful enough graphics card in there. I know I use a Cintiq as both a tablet and a second monitor when working with either Maya/Blender/3DS Max or Photoshop and alternating which one has the program (Maya/Blender/3DS Max on the main monitor and Photoshop on the Cintiq) and which one has the photo references I rely on.

Having them both on with a 680M has a noticeable effect on application performance so they are going to have to put some serious horsepower in there if they want reasonable performance (more so affecting Photoshop than my 3D applications weirdly enough). I seriously wonder if a 1080 is enough given the quirks in performance that do not scale linearly with the differences between desktop and laptop GPUs.
Well it does say GTX1080, and usually the mobile chipsets are appended with an 'm' at the end of the number. I suspect the internals will be similar or better than this monstrosity:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Gordon_4 said:
Well it does say GTX1080, and usually the mobile chipsets are appended with an 'm' at the end of the number. I suspect the internals will be similar or better than this monstrosity:

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-systems/razer-blade-pro
The thing is I wonder if it is a true 1080 as I have seen subtle differences in the PCB between the desktop and laptop variants (besides the dimensions). It might be minor but as far as I know they have different TDPs. Taking similarly specced desktop and mobile GPUs and putting them under similar scenarios can result in a-similar results. But maybe we have beaten that, maybe the sacrifices to fit the chips inside of the smaller form factors do not negatively impact performance in weird ways.