The Next Steam Update Will Let You Use a Xbox Controller in Every Game

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Next Steam Update Will Let You Use a Xbox Controller in Every Game

If you've always wanted to play all your Steam games with a controller, you'll soon be able to make that wish come true.

Steam has been adding more and more support for controllers of late. Not only the Steam Controller, but also Xbox controllers and the DualShock 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168604-Steam-PS4-Controller-Support]. The next Steam Update, which is currently in beta testing, is going to take support for controllers to the next level by allowing you to use a Xbox controller in every game.

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1372/1372572.jpg

Similar to the DualShock 4 support that was added earlier this year (shown above), the next update will let you map keyboard and mouse controls to any Xbox 360, Xbox One, or other X-input controller. That means even games without controller support can be played with a controller. That doesn't mean the games will play well with a controller, but at least you have the option if you want it. The patch also adds support for some third party PS4 controllers, including some HORI, MadCatz, and Armor pads and fight sticks.

There's no release date for the update as yet, but if you want to check it out, all you need to do is opt into the client beta in your Steam settings menu. You can find all the info on this update, including full patch notes, over in the Steam Client Beta Community Group [http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/586991182161672256].

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Oh my god. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs This is probably the best thing aside from refunds Valve has added since forever. Holy shit.

Dead. Space. Without. Issues.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011

Suck it X-padder, I knew if I held out long enough, Id win!

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Awesome. I'm developing a game right now and I little annoying thing is having to implement code for every command in the game twice, one for keyboard and again for joypad. With this thing coming to Steam it looks like I only need to write the code for keyboard.

I'm a lazy fuck.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Aerosteam said:
With this thing coming to Steam it looks like I only need to write the code for keyboard.
Not 100% true. Unless the keyboard uses the same key for many functions, it won't translate well when using mapping for a controller.
Example: Interaction keys are usually E for PC and X on Xbox. Reload is R on PC, X on Xbox. Jump is often space on PC and, you guessed it, X on Xbox. But often it's A.
Mapping all three of those to a controller will likely confuse it and give you (a) random action(s), if anything at all.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Creator002 said:
Aerosteam said:
With this thing coming to Steam it looks like I only need to write the code for keyboard.
Not 100% true. Unless the keyboard uses the same key for many functions, it won't translate well when using mapping for a controller.
Example: Interaction keys are usually E for PC and X on Xbox. Reload is R on PC, X on Xbox. Jump is often space on PC and, you guessed it, X on Xbox. But often it's A.
Mapping all three of those to a controller will likely confuse it and give you (a) random action(s), if anything at all.
Yeah, I think this requires more thought from myself. This new feature is first launching as a beta so it might not even be ready by the time I need it to be. I guess I'll just do it the normal way until I know for sure how much the Steam update can help me.

totlmstr

Oct 12, 2011
Just a suggestion to ffronw: since it is already mentioned in the article and a picture is featured, it would be best to include Dualshock 4 in the headline as well.

On that note, is there anything about Dualshock 3?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
While this is cool as balls, is it going to be clever enough to let us assign multiple items to one button? I ask because in most games the A/X button tends to be heavily contextual.

InflatableHippo

Feb 13, 2016
Country
usa
Gordon_4 said:
While this is cool as balls, is it going to be clever enough to let us assign multiple items to one button? I ask because in most games the A/X button tends to be heavily contextual.
pretty much this as I wanted to play Undertale with having the "back" button and the "up" button bound to the same key for a certain endgame fight

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I have a Steam Controller from Christmas, so I'm good. Also, it's really annoying having to resync my Xbox controller back to my Xbox every time I'm done using it on the PC so I stopped using it there.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Cool, when I finally get around to Legacy of Kain: Defiance, I can play it with a pad like all Spectacle Fighter-styled hack & slashes should be played.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Aerosteam said:
Awesome. I'm developing a game right now and I little annoying thing is having to implement code for every command in the game twice, one for keyboard and again for joypad.
Seems like a design smell. If you are doing this from scratch, consider using a design pattern that will invert the responsibilities there. Off the top of my head, you have Command that should be what you want but it might be mixed with Chain or Responsibility and/or State. If you're using an engine or something as basis, it might even have a way to plug more control options without having to duplicate functionality.