Final Fantasy XV Shipments, Digital Sales Top 6 Million Units

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Final Fantasy XV Shipments, Digital Sales Top 6 Million Units

Final Fantasy XV has shipped over six million copies, according to Square Enix.

Square Enix announced in a press release today that boxed shipment and digital sales for Final Fantasy XV have topped 6 million units. While this does include digital sales, it isn't necessarily an indication that 6 million units have actually been sold to customers, just that digital sales combined with physical shipments to retailers has surpassed 6 million.

Square Enix is also offering additional content "to expand and enhance players' experiences," including both the free and premium versions of the Holiday Pack, which are currently available. Downloading either gets you access to an in-game event called the "Moogle Chocobo Carnival," which brings an "exciting festival to the whole city of Altissia." That is a limited time event, starting on January 24.

If you haven't picked the game up yet, but are curious, our head streamer John Markley has been playing quite a bit of it over on our Twitch channel [https://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine].

[gallery=6778]

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
Was so disgusted with the game, I just sent it in for a trade in. Bad story bad gameplay bad combat. Only a few things in the game I like- crestholm channels was one and that was optional and late in the game

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Good on 'em! The usual weasel-wording of including orders "shipped" as opposed to "sold", aside.

FFXV was a deeply flawed game, but enjoyable, and a step in the right direction after the series hit its nadir with XIII. The fact that Tabata was able to make the game as complete as it was is a small miracle, given the ten years and multiple creative teams the property had changed hands in, in a worst case scenario this could have been another Duke Nukem Forever. Hopefully he'll get the helm of the next numbered entry in the series from the get-go, rather than having to work with the half-completed scraps of previous teams, and the series will continue to improve when XVI finally rolls around.

DemomanHusband

Sep 17, 2014
I have to say, I'm genuinely enjoying my time with FFXV. Maybe it was the fact that my cynicism couldn't hold up in the face of plain ol' 'okayness.' The meat of the postgame has kept me interested, and makes me feel as though the 'okayness' is starting to edge toward 'legitimately good' with how much there is to do. The sidequests are all standard fare, but thankfully the quest givers usually have enough one-dimensional personality for the slightly less one-dimensional party to riff off of, which makes even the simplest quest to take a picture of a place rather entertaining.

The combat was surprisingly solid, if not in dire need of a camera focused solely on the player's nearby perspective. The way it is when you're running in the regular open world is a-okay. Fights with smaller enemies have a pretty good camera, even if it likes to zoom a little too far out. But then you get into the big boss fights and... good lord, who thought it was a good idea to zoom the camera out to the point where your party are peas? I'd much rather maintain the sense of scale by sticking almost painfully close to Noctis as he picks and chooses what fleshy bits to flail at. This would also help with the part of the combat I find most enjoyable, zipping around to get some good blindside hits in. If the camera locked properly and stayed with the player, you'd have a lot more information at your disposal to properly blindside some of the bigger enemies. (Also, whoever decided that you can't blindside by hitting the back of an Iron Giant's hand is a doofus.)

I'm surprisingly happy enough with the game to say that I want to see Tabata behind more new FF games. Of course, that's provided he brings a good chunk of the XV team with him, and sticks to the more dynamic style of combat they brought with Type-0 and XV. Maybe if they go the X-2 route with XV, they could have more opportunities to have fun with the world of Eos while fleshing it out.