Microsoft Adds Seven More Games to Xbox One Backwards Compatible List

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Microsoft Adds Seven More Games to Xbox One Backwards Compatible List

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1373/1373606.jpgThe first seven Xbox One backwards compatible titles of 2017 are available, including two Battlefield games.

Microsoft has been slowly increasing the size of its Xbox One backwards compatible game list, and today, that list got seven games longer. Backwards compatibility was added in November of 2015, and the list of games now includes over 300 titles.

These seven games were added today. They can be purchased from the Xbox One store for the listed price, or you can throw in your Xbox 360 disc copy to download the XB1 version.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - $20
Battlefield 3 - Not available for purchase, must have 360 disc
Dragon Age: Origins - $15
Ghostbusters - $15
Scrap Metal - $15
The Splatters - $10
Strania - $10

If you already own these games on 360, now's the time to go check them out on your Xbox One. If you don't already own them, the prices listed above may be a little steep for games from last generation.

It's nice to see Microsoft adding as many games as possible to the backwards compatible list, but it's a shame that the games won't just run off the disc. Being forced to download the older games you want to play can seriously eat up your hard drive space.

[gallery=6784]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Wait, the whole time you couldn't play Dragon Age: Origins?! On a system made by Microsoft, whose PC based video game library system is called Origin?!

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Silentpony said:
Wait, the whole time you couldn't play Dragon Age: Origins?! On a system made by Microsoft, whose PC based video game library system is called Origin?!

Dragon Age and Origin are owned by EA...

OT: Hopefully they'll add DA:O to EA Access' vault feature, since it already includes DA:I

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ffronw said:
It's nice to see Microsoft adding as many games as possible to the backwards compatible list, but it's a shame that the games won't just run off the disc. Being forced to download the older games you want to play can seriously eat up your hard drive space.
The counter argument on this, which is one reason I think XB1 has a major advantage over the PS4, is that you can buy external drives that boost space quite easily, and they're not Microsoft branded only. And it works extremely well.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
The counter argument on this, which is one reason I think XB1 has a major advantage over the PS4, is that you can buy external drives that boost space quite easily, and they're not Microsoft branded only. And it works extremely well.
One of the first things I did with my PS4 was replace the internal hard drive with a 2 TB model. It's a simple update that involves removing about three screws. I'd like to have an external drive as well, but I don't know that I'd call it a 'major' advantage.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Still no Tekken 6 :( No Operation Darkness either but i am not holding my breath on that one

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
It's my understanding that they can't because fundamental changes to the source code are required; in some cases graphical assets have been updated as well. (Or that could just be spin on Microsoft's part to justify their "everything must be installed" philosophy.)

I recently bought an external 2 TB USB 3 hard drive from Amazon for about $75 (about the cost of a "special edition" new game). I shouldn't have to worry about hard drive space until the next console generation. Problem solved.

Apr 5, 2008
The 360 used PowerPC processors, similar to older Apple Macs. The PS3 had it's own unique and apparently very hard to code for "CELL" processors. Both XB1 and PS4 run on "standard" X86-64 architecture, the same as PCs and newer Apple Macs. This means games only need one code base to work on all platforms now with variations on rendering and GPU engines. Also interestingly, the original XBox was X86, running on an Intel Celeron CPU, so technically speaking if MS wanted to, original XBox games could run on the XBone off the disc with very little work.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
ffronw said:
One of the first things I did with my PS4 was replace the internal hard drive with a 2 TB model. It's a simple update that involves removing about three screws. I'd like to have an external drive as well, but I don't know that I'd call it a 'major' advantage.
Major advantage being that yeah, you can replace the PS4 drive, sure but for most people, having an easier plug-and-go system with externals is an advantage, plus you can swap drives or use up to, IIRC 8TB external drives so you never run out of space. I can fill a 2TB PS4 drive with 1/2 of my library (maybe less) not including the digital downloads I also own, and if I want to download large patches I need to make sure I've got space set aside for that purpose. I love my PS4 but despite its easier to navigate dashboard and slightly better power, I find a lot of little annoyances with it, and XBOX as a clear advantage with backwards compatibility titles and yeah, the easier additional space. Plus PSN throttles the download speeds for any/all content and it really sucks having to wait nearly 3x as long as XBL to get large patches.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
ffronw said:
it might be relatively simple to upgrade the S4's internal drive (done it myself) but it can't compare to the sheer ease of just throwing an extra external on the problem of storage space. Granted you have to install it first on the console itself and THEN move it to the hard drive (something the freakin Wii U does better)but you don't have to take apart the console (and you aren't limited to that one drive, either).

praisegrima