Hideki Kamiya is "Very Sorry" for Scalebound Cancellation

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Hideki Kamiya is "Very Sorry" for Scalebound Cancellation

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1373/1373694.jpgPlatinum Games designer and Scalebound director Hideki Kamiya has apologized to fans on Twitter for the game's cancellation.

On Monday, the news broke that Microsoft had cancelled Scalebound [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169224-Scalebound-Canceled-Microsoft-Platinum-Part-Ways], the upcoming Xbox One exclusive action RPG. Microsoft issued an official statement at the time, but the normally outspoken director of the game, Hideki Kamiya, has been uncharacteristically silent.

But earlier today, Platinum posted a statement from its President and CEO, Kenichi Sato, on its official blog [https://www.platinumgames.com/official-blog/article/9223] about the cancellation, saying,

"We're sorry to say that on January 9, 2017, Microsoft Studios announced the cancellation of Scalebound. We are very disappointed things ended up this way, especially since we know many of our fans were looking forward to this game as much as we were.

Going forward, we will strive to continue delivering high-quality games to you, starting with NieR:Automata in March, and including products like GRANBLUE FANTASY Project Re:Link and LOST ORDER in the future.

We will keep working hard to meet your expectations and we look forward to your continued support!"

Shortly thereafter, Kamiya spoke on Twitter about the cancellation as well.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/819093228523634692]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/819093309473767425]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/819093378415480834]

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/819115751827128320]

The statements seem to suggest that Kamiya expected a much more angry response than he received. The finality of the tweets also would seem to confirm that Scalebound isn't likely to be picked up by another publisher. Of course, that could be due to IP issues, as it remains unclear who owns the Scalebound IP.

The next game Platinum is working on is NieR: Automata, which is scheduled to come to PC and PS4 sometime this year.

[gallery=6786]

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
No need to apologise, it's MS's doing. And if they aren't hoarding the IP, I know other platforms are more welcoming to fresher ideas. If they are hoarding the IP...Well fuck them.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
No need to apologise, it's MS's doing. And if they aren't hoarding the IP, I know other platforms are more welcoming to fresher ideas. If they are hoarding the IP...Well fuck them.
10 groates says MS are. I wouldn't put it past them

EMWISE94

Aug 22, 2013
"I thought I'd get lot's of savage messages"
Not everyone's a meany poo like you Kamiya... well from what I hear they are, but not that meany poo that they'd yell at the guy who also got his toy taken away cause they were also looking forward to the toy.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
The "cover" of working with a company like Microsoft is that when something like this happens, people tend to assume Microsoft is the one to blame.

I have no idea if that's actually the case or not. I just know that Platinum are the ones who take unlikely licenses and make nifty action games out of them, sometimes against the odds, and Microsoft are the ones who try to embarrass people for wanting backwards compatibility and back-install metric collection software on your OS.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I know it's unfair to judge a game before it's release but the main character alone made me reluctant to buy this game, he looked like a huge douche. Maybe it was gonna poke fun at the "too cool" teenager archetype but if I had a fucking dragon to ride, I'd look a fair bit happier then that smug chuckle fuck.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Even if he himself had cancelled the game out of spite - why would this be something anyone could be actually angry about? I mean you couldn't pre-order it already nor was it crowd-funded.

PunkRex said:
I know it's unfair to judge a game before it's release but the main character alone made me reluctant to buy this game, he looked like a huge douche. Maybe it was gonna poke fun at the "too cool" teenager archetype but if I had a fucking dragon to ride, I'd look a fair bit happier then that smug chuckle fuck.
I get you, but couldn't you say the same about Dante?

loa

Jan 28, 2012
It didn't look that good anyway.
Nier on the other hand looks great and it's not some platform exclusive BS so more resources go towards that which is great.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Yo Nier looks fucking fantastic if the demo is anything to go by, so as long as Scalebound is the only cancellation all should be forgiven.

Also there are 3 Platinum games coming out this year confirmed? Holy shit that's hype. 3 Platinum games and Persona 5 makes 2017 look to be in a good spot this year (even if P5 will never beat P4 unless it's the second coming of Christ in video game form.) Now all that needs to happen is an English Dub for BlazBlue CF and the year will already be better than all of 2016.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
RaikuFA said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
10 groates says MS are. I wouldn't put it past them
Just like what they did with the Fable, Freelancer, and Rare IPs. I would also add the Halo IP too since Guardians started smashing everything I loved about it to bits. That one's pretty dead to me. What the actual fuck, Microsoft?