Nintendo Announces Super Mario Odyssey for the Switch

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo Announces Super Mario Odyssey for the Switch

During the Switch Presentation tonight, the Nintendo revealed that the next big Mario title will be Super Mario Odyssey, an open world sandbox game.

We got our first glimpse of the game during Nintendo's Switch reveal in October [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168662-Nintendo-Switch-Revealed#&gid=gallery_6577&pid=1], but this is the first extensive look we've gotten at it.

The trailer from the presentation showed Nintendo's plumber-turned-hero jumping around a bunch of different areas, which are based on real world locations. You can check out some screenshots in the gallery below.

Unfortunately, Super Mario Odyssey will not be a Switch launch title, instead slated for a holiday 2017 release.

The Nintendo Switch will launch on March 3, 2017, at a cost of $299.

[gallery=6798]

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Open World. Mario. Sandbox. Why?

I... just... christ, I know I ragged on Final Fantasy XIII for being what was essentially a giant corridor, but fuck me am I starting to miss a linear game experience with so many big empty sandboxes around. Hell Mario started off as a linear game (quite literally), his is the last fucking franchise that needs this kind of bullshit tacked on. God dammit.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Wrex Brogan said:

I... just... christ, I know I ragged on Final Fantasy XIII for being what was essentially a giant corridor, but fuck me am I starting to miss a linear game experience with so many big empty sandboxes around. Hell Mario started off as a linear game (quite literally), his is the last fucking franchise that needs this kind of bullshit tacked on. God dammit.
It is possible that its like mario 64, many different missions that take place in the same map. Billy Hatcher did the same thing. We have no proof that Odyssey will be like that, but I would be willing to bet that Nintendo wouldn't just "throw" mario into an open world game.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
On the one hand it's nice to see Nintendo get rid of the rigid hub based, timed level set-up of old. On the other, from this footage there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the levels. Everything that isn't the city feels like a bunch of empty space occupied by randomly placed structures. And the city itself looks like every other open-world city in every other open-world game.

It is something different for Mario at least.

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
I'm certain this is some sort of collective fever dream
Why would Nintendo put mario in a city full of weirdly realistic people
they could atleast have had them be is a similar cartoony style to mario and acknowledge that there are more than like 7 human beings in the mario universe
but no
super cartoony mario running around a realistic city

this looks like a GTA san andreas mod

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I'm really unsure about this. I know my son would love running around a city like that but... I'm not sold on this game.

Dear Nintendo,
I know you're like 5 years behind the curve, but you might want to know that sandbox games are on the decline.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
Seems like Super Mario 64 mixed with Jak and Daxter. With just a sprinkle of Sonic 06, in case you got your hopes up. Seriously, the concept looks good but why the realistically proportioned humans? Why not the regular suspects (Toads, Koopas, Shy Guys, etc.) or cartoon humans? I' okay with new characters, but Mario looks horribly out of place.

Death Carr said:
I'm certain this is some sort of collective fever dream
The entire presentation was a fever dream. The voice acting in BotW was bizarre in the Japanese version as well as awful in the English version. 1-2-Switch and Arms came completely out of left field. Project Octopath Traveler...what kind of name is that? It sounds like VR Hentai.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I don't know whether it'll work or not, but I'm glad they're doing this rather than yet another formulaic New Super Mario Bros title.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Cold Shiny said:
Wrex Brogan said:

It is possible that its like mario 64, many different missions that take place in the same map. Billy Hatcher did the same thing. We have no proof that Odyssey will be like that, but I would be willing to bet that Nintendo wouldn't just "throw" mario into an open world game.
I dunno, 'open world sandbox' really carries the idea that it's going to be a big open world game where the main goal is more 'player can fuck around' rather than anything resembling a cohesive narrative. Now, maybe they're hiding the Hub-world of 64 deep inside or they're gonna do something cool and unique with the genre, buuuut... *looks at the awkwardness of real-proportion humans against Mario* I have my doubts.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Wrex Brogan said:
Cold Shiny said:
Wrex Brogan said:

I dunno, 'open world sandbox' really carries the idea that it's going to be a big open world game where the main goal is more 'player can fuck around' rather than anything resembling a cohesive narrative. Now, maybe they're hiding the Hub-world of 64 deep inside or they're gonna do something cool and unique with the genre, buuuut... *looks at the awkwardness of real-proportion humans against Mario* I have my doubts.
I think the realistic city and humans is more of a show-off to what the Nintendo Switch can do, not a mindful artistic choice.

But than again from a lore perspective, Mario is from real world New York in Donkey Kong Arcade game, than in Mario Bros. he went to a sewer that had him end up in the Mushroom Kingdom.

So Mario is back Home in New York now New Donk City?

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Samtemdo8 said:
I think the realistic city and humans is more of a show-off to what the Nintendo Switch can do, not a mindful artistic choice.

But than again from a lore perspective, Mario is from real world New York in Donkey Kong Arcade game, than in Mario Bros. he went to a sewer that had him end up in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Ah, tech demos, one of the worst approaches to artistic design of a video game. And if it is to show-off what the Switch can do, I'm... not feeling good about it, I've seen better looking models on the PS2. Hell, everything else in the trailer looks miles ahead of the humans, so it really doesn't make any sense. Could've easily made it a city full of toadstools instead, that'd fit much better with the art style and the general backstory of the game.

and uhhh, I wouldn't stick too closely to lore that's 35 years old, that shit tends to get retconned hard and fast. Besides, doesn't exactly answer the question of why none of the people look like him/he doesn't look like them. 'Suddenly realistically proportioned humans' is a jarring shift for the series, and one that's only explainable by this being a multi-dimensional adventure (I mean, we had two Galaxy Games, might as well have a Dimension Hopper game now). Unless this is where Peach has come from, but even then...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Wrex Brogan said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Ah, tech demos, one of the worst approaches to artistic design of a video game. And if it is to show-off what the Switch can do, I'm... not feeling good about it, I've seen better looking models on the PS2. Hell, everything else in the trailer looks miles ahead of the humans, so it really doesn't make any sense. Could've easily made it a city full of toadstools instead, that'd fit much better with the art style and the general backstory of the game.

and uhhh, I wouldn't stick too closely to lore that's 35 years old, that shit tends to get retconned hard and fast. Besides, doesn't exactly answer the question of why none of the people look like him/he doesn't look like them. 'Suddenly realistically proportioned humans' is a jarring shift for the series, and one that's only explainable by this being a multi-dimensional adventure (I mean, we had two Galaxy Games, might as well have a Dimension Hopper game now). Unless this is where Peach has come from, but even then...
But we can pretty much agree its a Mario Game with Tech Demo Graphics.

Regardless it looks like fun Mario game.....I just wish it was Super Mario Galaxy 3 :(

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I gotta admit, I felt a little childish excitement there not felt in a long while. There is little doubt that the game will be fun. Mario has never been about cohesive, consistent design anyhow, the charm is in the variety and many little joys that are found through exploration. Haven't been interested in anything Mario since Galaxy 2, but this my interest it does peak.
Also, airhsips, tophats and riding angry lion beasts kinda seals the deal. I feel no shame.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Okay, it's been a very long time since I've been really curious about a Mario game, and I'm talking since Mario Sunshine.

I'm still not sure how the hell that's gonna work for a Mario game, but I'm glad they are at least doing something with the series since it was getting really damn boring.

Color me intrigued.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I, for one, am feeling really excited about this game! Too bad it won't be out for forever, though. Guess I'll buy the Switch when this comes out.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I've been waiting for a Mario Game like this since Super Mario 64! (With Realistic Humans added in it for some reason...)

I'm already sold on this game. The Hat Mechanic looks great, the Graphics are absolutely fantastic, and what little story we've gotten is very intriguing already.

Wrex Brogan said:
Open World. Mario. Sandbox. Why?(SNIP)Hell Mario started off as a linear game (quite literally), his is the last fucking franchise that needs this kind of bullshit tacked on. God dammit.
Fun Fact: Mario was actually one of the first Franchises to do that: Turn from 2D and Linear into 3D and Open World.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
Mr.Mattress said:
and what little story we've gotten is very intriguing already.
... Bowser kidnaps Peach?
More then that! Not only is he kidnapping Peach; this time he's actually forcing a wedding between himself and her! It's a major improvement. Better then "I'm just gonna hold her here and do nothing with her".

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'll admit it. Watching Mario wall-jumping around quasi-realistic skyscrapers kind of made me smile.

I'm still waiting for more trustworthy critical judgment/information on both the game and the Switch as a whole, but I think one could do worse than giving Mario an interesting powerset and turning him loose in a bunch of fanciful settings. Hopefully with slightly more focused and organized objectives than what has become typical of sandbox games of late.