There's an Official Resident Evil Candle, and no, it Doesn't Smell Like Blood

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
There's an Official Resident Evil Candle, and no, it Doesn't Smell Like Blood

Official press release intended to "clear up earlier inaccurate media reports."

Capcom and Numskull have announced an official Resident Evil 4D candle that, according to the press release, is being announced "to clear up earlier inaccurate media reports from an unauthorized press release. Merchoid product page [https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/05/resident-evil-7-4d-vr-candle-smells-of-old-timber-and-blood/] that had previously called the candle the "Blood, Sweat, and Fears 4D Candle" and described it as having a "foisty, old timber and blood" scent that would last up to 20 hours for $16.

However, that appears to not be the case.

The official candle will cost $14,comes in a metallic case, and has a burn time of "around 25 hours." It also definitely does not smell like blood. We don't know exactly what it does smell like, though - the Numskull page refers to the candle [http://www.numskull.co.uk/products/resident-evil-vii-4d-candle/] as being "horror scented."

In the press release, Numskull's Ben Grant said "Contrary to earlier reports that jumped the gun a little, the candle definitely does not smell of blood. However, it does manage to represent the scent of the Baker House Mansion, adding to the horror, fear and adrenaline you get whilst playing the game - especially in VR."

"This Official 4D candle is specifically tailored to the game and will help make you feel like you're actually standing in the abandoned plantation house, to enhance the gaming experience" added Stefano Barolo, of Capcom.

The companies also announced other Resident Evil products, including a snapback, a selection of t-shirts, a heat reactive mug, a keyring, and leather wallet.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
"Blood! Let's hope it's not Chris's blood..."

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Wow, with this candle and VR, it really feels like I am in a burning house! *takes off the VR headset* Oh wait...

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
The next VR peripheral: sets of candles to burn with different areas of games to make up for a lack of digitized smells.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
You know what's a great idea? Designing a candle specifically for burning within arms' reach when the user is wearing goggles that blind them to their surroundings and then display a series of jump scares.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I am almost certain these candles have existed for some while (years!) without the label "resident evil" and obligation to only use it after you've purchased a game, console or PC, VR peripherals and combined them effortlessly to shut out all that nasty reality we have been lumbered with. I know this because I was one of those idiots buying the damn things!