Everything We Know About the Nintendo Switch

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Everything We Know About the Nintendo Switch

Nintendo lifted the veil on its upcoming Switch console Thursday night during a live presentation, with more detailed game information featured during a Friday morning Treehouse event. Here's a round-up of everything we learned.

Read Full Article

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Those controller prices.
Holy fucking shit on a stick.

Also: MICROSD for memory?

Jesus fucking Gaia, Nintendo...

Thanks Nintendo...because of this you just made my mind up for me.

Soonest I'll ever get a switch is going to be Black Friday 2018.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Tanis said:
Probably the smartest thing they've decided on for the system. What wasn't so smart was the atrocious battery life, but luckily I'm one of those idiots that'll be carrying around a power bank that supports USB Type-C.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@LegendaryGamer0:
You CAN'T be serious.

MicroSD cards are a HELL of a lot more expensive than anything normal consoles use for memory.

I sure as shit wouldn't try and go digital on this system, given the lack of on-board memory and over priced cost to come.

Nintendo really needs to get their heads out of their asses and join the post DVD century.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
My skirt remains unfluttered by this gentle breeze of information.

There is nothing noted here that gets me excited for this console, both for it's release and 6 months down the line.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Tanis said:
Those controller prices.
Holy fucking shit on a stick.

Jesus fucking Gaia, Nintendo...

Thanks Nintendo...because of this you just made my mind up for me.

Soonest I'll ever get a switch is going to be Black Friday 2018.
On the plus side, it will load any game in a few milliseconds, no more sitting around staring at hours of loading screens, I'm looking at you Bloodborne.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
queue new nintendo console release ritual.. nothing that interests me.

this has happened every console since the days of the NES so im thinking nintendo are doing it on purpose to me

JCAll

Oct 12, 2011
Tanis said:
@LegendaryGamer0:
You CAN'T be serious.

MicroSD cards are a HELL of a lot more expensive than anything normal consoles use for memory.

I sure as shit wouldn't try and go digital on this system, given the lack of on-board memory and over priced cost to come.

Nintendo really needs to get their heads out of their asses and join the post DVD century.
You're kidding, right? Have you seen the price of Memory for the Vita? Vita owners would kill for the price of MicroSD.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
@JCAll:
So what?
The Vita is a PORTABLE HANDHELD console FIRST.

Allegedly, The Switch is a HOME console FIRST.

Also, just because something is fucked up more on one system doesn't give another system a free pass.

It's like saying 'sure, Trump is fucked up but at least he's not Pol Pot'.
Just because 'something' is worse out there does NOT give the thing you're talking about a free pass.

SixWingedAsura

Sep 27, 2010
New console, same opinions.

Those that hate Nintendo will continue to find any and all reasons to hate it.

Those that like it will defend it.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
SixWingedAsura said:
New console, same opinions.

Those that hate Nintendo will continue to find any and all reasons to hate it.

Those that like it will defend it.
im trying hard to find a reason to defend this. and the only one is that the new zelda looks kinda somewhat interesting. there is no other reason to buy the switch.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I haven't had a new Nintendo product since the 3DS and I suspect the Nintendo will be attempting to merge their portable and living room markets by putting Pokemon on the thing. With adult life sucking away free time and my PC library keeping me entertained, I don't really see myself getting this. Even for Pokemon. I'm not made of money and I'm at a point in life where friends don't come over to play games; we tend to go for coffee and talk about work. :/

Mr_Jack

Dec 2, 2009
Years ago I called out on Ninty for really wanting to get in on the mobile market. Short of releasing a "Game Boy Phone" they did get in on mobile games by approving ports to the 3DS.

This is their answer to get in on that market. I expect an early trickle preceding a downpour of mobile style shovelware to hit the Nintendo Online Store for the Switch sometime soon.

This is basically the Shield Tablet 2 for all intents and purposes, using a variant of the chip for that plan from NVidia. Hopefully they realize that if they try and push their already smaller dedicated fanbase into whaling their profits, they might take another hit like the Wii U. The Wii was a huge hit because of the accessibility, and that fact that 70% of people bought it for Wii Sports and maybe a golf game, at least in the long run. The Wii U didn't appeal to those customers because they thought it was just a $300 add on for the Wii, and because it didn't offer the same appeal to those customers. Thus Wii U sales relied on their core fanbase to remain barely profitable. Which is why Nintendo games take so long to depreciate in cost, because those fans will pay those prices.

They might score some outliers with this but then again, they are now encroaching on competing with tablets (iPad, myriad of Android, Surface) and cell phones. Since they will quite likely start to carry a decent amount of similar titles, and basically fill a similar role, except potentially without the open versatility of those things. They aren't really competing in the console market too much anymore, mainly handheld, as their hardware for home use is much more niche than an Xbox, PS4 or PC.

We'll see if they do well in time. That lower internal storage and expensive peripherals for those who want a home console with all the trappings will slow sales for a bit.

Also, flash storage doesn't mean the game will load instantly, it all depends on the hardware inside. Transfer rates, RAM/RAM speed, swap/page space, CPU and etc. There are plenty of examples of such games taking at least 10-20 seconds to load properly. Though it is still faster than HDD or optical media for sure.