Ubisoft: Watch Dogs 2 Free Trial Coming Later this Month

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Ubisoft: Watch Dogs 2 Free Trial Coming Later this Month

Ubisoft is rolling out a free trial for Watch Dogs 2, but only on console.

Watch Dogs 2 has done much better critically than its predecessor, but there are still a lot of gamers who haven't given it a try. Ubisoft is aware of those folks, and it's hoping to get them to give the game a chance. How does Ubi plan to do that? By letting you play the game for free.

Ubisoft announced today that it will release a three-hour free trial of Watch Dogs 2. The PlayStation 4 trial launches today, and the Xbox One trial follows on January 24. The trial includes all of the game's features, including co-op and multiplayer (note that multiplayer will still require you to have PS Plus or Xbox Live Gold). You can play whatever parts of the game you like for your three hour trial, and if you decide to buy the game, your progress will carry over.

One thing missing from the announcement on the Ubi Blog [https://blog.ubi.com/watch-dogs-2-play-free-trial/] is any mention of a free trial for the PC version of the game. When asked about the possibility of a PC free trial, an Ubi representative sent the following statement to us:

"Watch Dogs 2 free trial is now available on PS4 and will be made available on January 24 on Xbox One. We are excited to welcome all new players to try the game and we hope they will enjoy their time in the vibrant city of San Francisco."

Judging from that, it looks like we shouldn't expect a free trial on the PC.

[gallery=6811]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Three hours?

Timed demos are a bizarre choice, unlock a chunk of the city, the first few proper missions and a few side missions, but don't put a time limit on it.

Having said that, speed runners around the world just looked at each other and grinned.

I suppose this means that Watchdogs 2's sales really were that bad. Between The Division, Far Cry Primal, Watchdogs 1 and Assassin's Creed Ubisoft have rather thoroughly undermined their reputation, but it's a shame that the game that should pay for it is the one that's good on release.

Apr 5, 2008
Wow, that representative dodged that question like a presidential candidate. Was it Hilary in a second career? I expect that since the main game uses Denuvo, they don't want it to end up like Doom.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Based on the answer to your question it seems you should've asked again and made it clear you weren't talking about consoles.

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Xan Krieger said:
Based on the answer to your question it seems you should've asked again and made it clear you weren't talking about consoles.
Oh no, they said specifically: "Please refer to this statement in regards to a release on PC"

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
ffronw said:
Xan Krieger said:
Oh no, they said specifically: "Please refer to this statement in regards to a release on PC"
And this is why I could never be a journalist, wouldn't take me long to snap and tell them "look (insert profanity here) can I just get a yes or a no?"

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
fix-the-spade said:
Three hours?

Timed demos are a bizarre choice, unlock a chunk of the city, the first few proper missions and a few side missions, but don't put a time limit on it.

Having said that, speed runners around the world just looked at each other and grinned.

I suppose this means that Watchdogs 2's sales really were that bad. Between The Division, Far Cry Primal, Watchdogs 1 and Assassin's Creed Ubisoft have rather thoroughly undermined their reputation, but it's a shame that the game that should pay for it is the one that's good on release.
Unfortunately, all games just before Xmas was significantly down. For example, COD sales were down 36% from the previous year. No one had a win. Not EA, not Bethsheda. It would be good to find out the negative impact of the first game but it's all muddled up.

Personally I thought it was a good game, better than the first but only worth $40 at most.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So one one hand, Free. On the other hand, Consoles I don't own and even if was PC, fucking Uplay.

So yeah, don't care. Ubisoft now has to fight me in making a game good enough and cheap enough to overcome my hatred of Uplay and nowadays that's a high bar.

I'm not sure why I bother paying attention anymore.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
RealRT said:
And then they have the guts to complain about piracy on PC.
Yup. They probably aren't releasing the demo on PC because Ubi assumes we pirated it already anyway.
bjj hero said:
3 hours is normally around the time I tire of sandboxes.
My sentiment as well. The only reason I'm disappointed in there not being a demo on PC is that was probably all I would have needed to be able to say I played Watch Dogs 2 and either enjoyed it or not.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
It's alright. Nice world, nice lighting, the cars handbrake around corners the correct amount, you can declutter almost all of the HUD (but inexplicably not completely). I liked spending time in the original watch dogs world, so probably won't mind this when it's cheap in a year or so. Only problem is because I'm playing Just Cause 3 I really notice the lack of a slingshot zip line wingsuit, so it's like moving in molasses. Not a game I need in my life right now.