Nintendo Lays Out Switch and Wii U Zelda: Breath of the Wild Differences

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo Lays Out Switch and Wii U Zelda: Breath of the Wild Differences

Resolution and sound quality are two areas where the versions differ.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will launch simultaneously on the upcoming Switch and Nintendo's current home console, the Wii U, on March 3. A report from IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/17/nintendo-explains-differences-between-switch-wii-u-versions-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild] now details how the two versions of the game will differ.

According to the list, both versions will have a framerate of 30fps and will offer the same content. The Switch version will render in 900p docked (720p undocked, according to Master Edition [https://www.vg247.com/2017/01/16/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-runs-at-720p-docked-and-900p-undocked-and-performs-really-well/] of the game for Wii U.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be Switch reveal event here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/17383-All-the-Confirmed-Games-for-the-Nintendo-Switch].

[gallery=6815]

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Lizzy Finnegan said:
According to the list, both versions will have a framerate of 30fps [...]
Well, that's a bummer.

In particular since Breath of the Wild is trying to be graphically impressive.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What about the option to have the japanese dialoge, cuz the english one... ooph.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
What about the option to have the japanese dialoge, cuz the english one... ooph.
Haha you so funny. Filthy gaijin don't deserve glorious Japanese VO.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Metalix Knightmare said:
Wait, is this a Zelda game where the characters actually talk!?
Where have you been? That's like it's biggest new feature.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
It really sucks that it runs at 30 FPS...

But hey, I heard the xbox and playstation versions run at 0 FPS. D:

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Damn, I just looked that up myself. I'm usually not too picky when it comes to dubbing, but... yikes. Dual audio is a must this time around.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
So no difference in the control scheme?

While both systems have touch screens, you probably aren't using the Switch's one if it's plugged into the tv. I'm wondering what the control scheme for a docked Switch without a pro controller will be like.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Casual Shinji said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Fox12 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Damn, I just looked that up myself. I'm usually not too picky when it comes to dubbing, but... yikes. Dual audio is a must this time around.
So, with the English voicework being horrible, I feel I must ask one question.

Is Treehouse involved with this?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Metalix Knightmare said:
Casual Shinji said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Fox12 said:
Casual Shinji said:

I've never heard of treehouse before this post, but a quick look seems to imply it.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Dornedas said:
Casual Shinji said:
Haha you so funny. Filthy gaijin don't deserve glorious Japanese VO.
Considering we didn't even get dual-audio in the last Fire Emblem release, it's pretty doubtful for Zelda, which many see primarily as a somewhat western franchise despite being made in Japan.

Metalix Knightmare

Sep 27, 2007
Fox12 said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Casual Shinji said:
Metalix Knightmare said:
Fox12 said:
Casual Shinji said:

I've never heard of treehouse before this post, but a quick look seems to imply it.
Ah shiza. So the voice acting is gonna suck, and the translation is gonna blow.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
So no difference in the control scheme?
I'm really hoping that undocked Switch version at least supports the touchscreen for menus. I mean, it's a small thing, but if you've got the touchscreen anyway, it'd be silly not to use it for something so obvious (kinda like how SSB4 failed to support touchscreen for things it should have).

P.S. Thanks

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Cold Shiny said:
It really sucks that it runs at 30 FPS...

But seen in heard the xbox and playstation versions run at 0 FPS. D:
Of all the half-assed swipes at "not my favorite platforms" this is the most uninspired I've seen in a while. It's like a Yo Mama's So Fat joke where the second half isn't even about weight. Or a rebuttal akin to "Well you're ugly".

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Eh, I can deal with these issues. I've been a console gamer for years so 30fps is nothing new to me. Sucks that the sound quality won't be as good, but eh, better than shelling out three-hundo for an entirely new console just to get a better version of a single game.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
So for not paying like $400 (or whatever Australia is asking for the Switch) for a Switch, I get a slightly smaller but still standard resolution, lower sound quality which I would probably only notice with a speaker system and I don't get macguffins with my game that I would be paying more money for. on a console I already own.

... I honestly am not seeing a downside.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i wonder if the world will be mirrored like in twilight princess...

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
Just looked at the cost of the system + the game + a pro controller for the switch. I think shelling out that much at release for this guy may be a bit much if someone already has a Wii U and the only claim to fame is better sound and 900p resolution. With those graphics they got and the fact they expect people to play it on the switches smaller screen, I highly doubt anyone is going to need the advantages of 900p to see distant objects and the like.