"A Day in The Life of a Smartphone" Infographic Shows us How Much We Use Our Phones

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
"A Day in The Life of a Smartphone" Infographic Shows us How Much We Use Our Phones

This cool infographic shows us just how strong of a grip smartphones have on most of our lives.

Did you know that more people own a mobile phone than a toothbrush? How about that 83% of all internet traffic is from smartphones? There's even a word for the dread you feel when you can't remember where you left your phone: Nomophobia. The folks over at 1st Arials [http://www.1staerials.co.uk/news/march-2016/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-smartphone] have put together this sweet infographic showing us just how strong the grip smartphones have on our lives. Check it out below:

There really is no one piece of technology that has changed human behaviour as much as a smartphone, is there?

Source: 1st Arials [http://www.1staerials.co.uk/news/march-2016/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-smartphone]

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
I honestly expected apple to have a larger market share and definitely didnt expect that much internet traffic to go through them.

it's gotten to the point when people ask for my mobile number and i say i dont have one they give you a weird look

Dach

Apr 28, 2015
pookie101 said:
it's gotten to the point when people ask for my mobile number and i say i dont have one they give you a weird look
I can see why. Maintaining a cheap pay-per-minute phone for mobile contact and emergencies seems worthwhile, especially as the cost can be as low as ~5 USD per month in the US. It may even be cheaper than having a landline in some cities as most people are moving to mobile.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I'll admit, mine is basically a brain implant at this point. It keeps me constantly up to date on news, I get a lot of social interaction out of it, music, utility shit like banking and route planning, you name it. I check that thing way too often.

But no matter how much I rely on this thing, I'll always do one thing; turn it off when I go to sleep. Always.
pookie101 said:
I honestly expected apple to have a larger market share
You have to remember that all Apple sells is high-end models, out of reach by many people. And even then a lot of Apple users use previous-gen hand-me-downs. Android phones however are a lot more accessible.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
And I don't have a phone. This infographic makes me feel rather out of touch with society as a whole....

I LOVE IT!

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Semi-relevant "Rick & Marty" quote: "Oh, get off your high horse, Summer! We all caught pink-eye because you text on the toilet." -Rick

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Steven Bogos said:
There really is no one piece of technology that has changed human behaviour as much as a smartphone, is there?
One? No, there are quite a few. Electrification, airplanes, the wheel, the printing press, the internet, indoor plumbing.... Hell, the toilet alone has revolutionized our lives more than anyone who didn't grow up without them has ever realized.

And I can even count myself among that group, insofar as apparently they've become large enough that people are actually going into them, assuming that isn't some strange Britishism that just means "bathroom".

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Recusant said:
Steven Bogos said:
One? No, there are quite a few. Electrification, airplanes, the wheel, the printing press, the internet, indoor plumbing.... Hell, the toilet alone has revolutionized our lives more than anyone who didn't grow up without them has ever realized.
People always forget the importance refrigeration technology. As for the toilet, toilet seats aren't that healthy. Aside from the obvious potential bacteria problem, it's actually better for us to squat when we want to go drop a deuce than it is to sit down because it strains our bowels.

OT: I barely use my smartphone. I just never developed the habit. I'm all about the PC/laptop. Smartphone is basically just a super advanced mp3 player for me.

ima420r

Aug 14, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
Recusant said:
Steven Bogos said:
People always forget the importance refrigeration technology. As for the toilet, toilet seats aren't that healthy. Aside from the obvious potential bacteria problem, it's actually better for us to squat when we want to go drop a deuce than it is to sit down because it strains our bowels.

OT: I barely use my smartphone. I just never developed the habit. I'm all about the PC/laptop. Smartphone is basically just a super advanced mp3 player for me.
I have always been fond of Fire and the Wheel. Without which there would be no pizza.