Fire Emblem Heroes Announced for iOS and Android

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Fire Emblem Heroes Announced for iOS and Android

The game will release first on Android devices in February.

During today's Fire Emblem Nintendo Direct, Nintendo announced that the franchise will be coming to mobile devices, in the form of Fire Emblem Heroes. The game will come to Google Play first, on February 2, with iOS devices to follow. You can begin registering for the Android version on January 19. The game will be available as a free download with optional in-app purchases.

"Fire Emblem Heroes is an original strategy RPG about two warring kingdoms in a bitter clash. As a summoner, players build their army by calling upon popular Fire Emblem heroes from worlds that span the breadth of the series," Nintendo wrote in a press release following the announcement. "Players will wage tactical battles streamlined for on-the-go play and level up a mix of new combatants and legendary heroes. Some familiar hero characters will become allies, while others will become enemy generals."

Nintendo also stated that new characters and content will be added in "free and timely updates."

Ahead of the game's release, Nintendo is hosting a "Choose Your Heroes" campaign, in which players can cast their votes for their favorite Fire Emblem character, with one vote being allowed per day. The two most popular heroes, one male and one female, will appear in Fire Emblem Heroes when it launches, along with special outfits. You can check out the full details here [https://events.fire-emblem-heroes.com/vote].

[gallery=6816]

Also announced during the Nintendo Direct was the fact that Fire Emblem Warriors, first announced at Nintendo's Switch presentation last week, Fire Emblem game was also revealed for Switch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169315-Fire-Emblem-Warriors-Also-Releasing-on-New-Nintendo-3DS-Systems], with an expected release sometime in 2018.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
So the smartphone version isn't going to be a "main" entry in the series. Good.

Also, Nintendo re-releasing the many, many FE games that didn't make it to the States. That's a trend they should continue.

Now all they need to do is hire a decent writer for any other new upcoming titles. Fates was an extreme letdown in that department, especially after they placed an emphasis on improving the campaign's writing.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
A lot will depend on execution but if it is anything like Phantom of the Kill, it will be tiresome to play.

Gameplay like FE hinges a lot on how well it is all balanced. If characters are gacha based - balance is shot from the get go.

Throw in shit like events and grind, this is where the presence of non-mindless gameplay drags it down. It's bloody tiring having to replay the same map over and over again, to gain more ranks or get rare drops. And if there's any penalty for unit deaths(which PoTK has), it's extra tiresome since you need a perfect run. Unlucky enemy crits can completely bugger you over unless you have a party way overpowered for that level.

HaileStorm

Apr 15, 2014
I'm just hoping the micro transactions don't make the game unplayable unless you spend all your money.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
HaileStorm said:
I'm just hoping the micro transactions don't make the game unplayable unless you spend all your money.
They'd be better off just selling the game for a reasonable price that gets you everything.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
J.McMillen said:
HaileStorm said:
They'd be better off just selling the game for a reasonable price that gets you everything.
They did that with Mario Run. People complained the price was too high.

Face it, there's no way to win with smartphone pricing.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
McMarbles said:
J.McMillen said:
HaileStorm said:
They did that with Mario Run. People complained the price was too high.

Face it, there's no way to win with smartphone pricing.
Pretty much.

While I think $9.99 is a bit too high for an autorun game for your phone, I admit that I'd be much happier with paying a one-time fee for a game rather than have a game constantly trying to nickel and dime me.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
So the game has is now released. Tried playing it myself.
In short it's a "lite" fire emblem. No timers, no stage clearing ranks, no incentive on clearing a map faster.

The summoning is still very new to me, compared to other games.
So basically you use 5 orbs and you can only choose 1, if you want all the current summoned orb you have to shell out 20 orbs.

Surprisingly, my first try of the summoning, I got 2 5 starred rank Minerva (Didn't get Lynn or Camilla) it's rather silly as the drop rate for 5 star characters is 3%
So Now I'm mowing the earlier levels with a 20 damage Minerva lol (early enemies usualy don't go above 20 HP)