Penny Arcade Announces Tabletop-Focused PAX Unplugged

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Penny Arcade Announces Tabletop-Focused PAX Unplugged

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1378/1378140.png
Penny Arcade has revealed that its latest PAX event: PAX Unplugged would take place in Philadelphia, with a focus on tabletop gaming.

Penny-Arcade Expo (PAX) [https://www.penny-arcade.com/] - exhibitions that highlight all aspects of nerd culture, from video games, to comics, to movies. There are currently five PAX events, including PAX Australia in Melbourne and PAX Dev in Seattle. At this year's PAX South in San Antonio, a new PAX has been revealed: PAX Unplugged in Philedelphia. PAX Unplugged is somewhat unique from the other PAXs, in that the entire focus of the event is on tabletop gaming.

"PAX Unplugged will take all the elements that have drawn millions of gamers to PAX - the chance to play and see the reveal of highly-anticipated upcoming games, attend game-inspired music concerts, participate in tournaments and watch panels with industry leaders - but with a renewed focus on fostering the best event for the burgeoning tabletop gaming community," wrote a representative in a press release.

[gallery=6870]

"With the rise of popularity of board games, we wanted to provide a dedicated space where fans can come together," said Jerry Holkins, co-founder, Penny Arcade. "We will continue to have tabletop games at every PAX, but Unplugged will focus on stepping away from the TV, monitor and phone to foster face-to-face multiplayer experiences."

The new event will take place at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in Philadelphia from November 17 - 19, 2017. Badges will go on sale this spring on the PAX Unplugged official website [http://unplugged.paxsite.com/].

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I love this idea. If it was in Manchester or Birmingham, instead of 5000 miles away, I would attend with my son.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Welp, I might need to step a state over around Thanksgiving. This sounds like it's gonna be a ton of fun.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Do American pax not do this already? At least a third of the paxaus show floor was for tabletop games.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Elijin said:
Do American pax not do this already? At least a third of the paxaus show floor was for tabletop games.
It sounds like this one will be ALL tabletop gaming (i.e. no computer/video games).

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
J.McMillen said:
Elijin said:
It sounds like this one will be ALL tabletop gaming (i.e. no computer/video games).
I mean, yeah, obviously. My point was that the third of the hall was a pretty comprehensive showing. I don't know why you'd do more. But it occurs to me that in the US, where driving a few states over for a show is commonplace, they might have a different structure, where this stuff is left out and there is a niche for a tabletop PAX mixed among the others.