Sin City Game May Be Doomed

Feb 13, 2008
Sin City Game May Be Doomed

Developer Red Mile needs to "substantially" increase its credit within 30 days, or its current project, Sin City may never see the light of day.

The current line of credit only reaches $1 million, and Red Mile says it'll need $10 million to survive the two or three years it needs to finish the game. Without those extra resources, it's likely both Sin City and Heroes Over Europe will plunge into the shadows, never to be heard from again.

If Red Mile does manage to secure this capital, it has a strategic plan "to contribute to meeting the Company's cash flow requirements," but as of yet, no promises.

Both of the co-publishers of Heroes Over Europe, Atari [http://www.atari.com/] and IR Gurus [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IR_Gurus], have sent a termination notice to Red Mile, but Red Mile says it "disputes the grounds for termination."

To make matters worse, in December last year, Red Mile had terminated its merger agreement with Canadian game company SilverBirch [http://www.silverbirchstudios.com/] (Site down at the moment) "based on a material breach by SilverBirch." The companies had announced the merger in July 2008.

Source: Edge Magazine [http://www.edge-online.com/news/trouble-red-mile]

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well thank f*ck for that.

I realise people have to eat and all, but tie-ins are frowned upon in my eyes, the only exception being if you give it time (which this one seemed to have) and money (which this one did not).

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil said:

The current line of credit only reaches $1 million, and Red Mile says it'll need $10 million to survive the two or three years it needs to finish the game.

Two or three years to finish the game....? How long, exactly, have they been working on it so far? Three years...? If that's the case, it's no wonder that they're running out of cash... eventually you need to, you know, actually release a product!

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
notoriouslynx said:
What? No sin city? I love sin city, its my favorite movie and comic books. Oh wait, is this a sin city GAME? Well good if it doesn't come out. I'm a big fan of the movie and comic, and I will never allow them to make a game, it might ruin sin city for a few people. Though I got a say, playing as Marv would be sweet.
I agree as much as I fear that this will be ruined like most movie tie-ins have been it would be cool to see what they were going to do with this game.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:

I realise people have to eat and all, but tie-ins are frowned upon in my eyes, the only exception being if you give it time (which this one seemed to have) and money (which this one did not).
You didn't like the Sin City movie?

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
If they made a game from the universe it might have been alright, like a grittier, darker GTA but a movie tie in (as it almost definitely would be) would suck. I hadn't heard about it, but I do like the idea, too bad it's got crap all chance of succeeding.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
mooncalf said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

Clever, but you knew what I meant, the tie in movie games are usually awful, and besides the difference here is that sin city is a movie adaptation and a movie tie in game is just that.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
ChromeAlchemist said:
mooncalf said:
ChromeAlchemist said:

Clever, but you knew what I meant, the tie in movie games are usually awful, and besides the difference here is that sin city is a movie adaptation and a movie tie in game is just that.
Agreed. I've enjoyed a few movie games, Starbreeze's work on Escape From Butcher Bay for instance was solid (metascore of 90, too). In Sin City's case however I share your skepticism. I could trust it to George Miller and Remedy, who's successful Max Payne games demonstrated a sensitivity for noir stylings despite being action-oriented. Red Mile I'm not so sure.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
Yog Sothoth said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:

The current line of credit only reaches $1 million, and Red Mile says it'll need $10 million to survive the two or three years it needs to finish the game.

Two or three years to finish the game....? How long, exactly, have they been working on it so far? Three years...? If that's the case, it's no wonder that they're running out of cash... eventually you need to, you know, actually release a product!
so taking time on a game ruins it does it? if i remember quite correctly a little company known as blizzard take time on their games, they don't even make it to a predetermined finish unless they want to, but man they make some damn good games.
Sometimes taking too much time is bad, yeah.... just look at Too Human. How long was that game in development? Twelve years or something like that... Mercenaries 2 is another good example. It took almost four years to make that game, and it was still crap.

I could go on... My point is that more development time doesn't always guarantee a good game. It can help, but when a game passes the five year mark without being finished, that's many times a sign that something is going wrong.... I'm looking at you, Duke Nuk'em Forever!