Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin Release Date Announced

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin Release Date Announced

The PlayStation VR-exclusive spin-off arrives on February 21.

Sony and Double Fine announced today [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/01/30/psychonauts-in-the-rhombus-of-ruin-coming-to-ps-vr-on-february-21/] that the upcoming virtual reality Psychonauts spin-off, Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin, will be releasing exclusively for PlayStation VR on February 21.

"This is not Psychonauts 2," writes Double Fine community manager James Spafford. "It's a standalone chapter of the Psychonauts saga - a mind-bending adventure puzzle game made from the ground up for VR that will chronicle the events between the first Psychonauts and its forthcoming sequel."

"You'll assume the role of Raz, an intrepid young psychic and now fully fledged member of the Psychonauts - an elite group of international psychic secret agents," a summary reads. "You'll see through Raz's eyes in first person, using his various psychic powers to affect the world, and solve puzzles: The power of Clairvoyance will allow you to see through the eyes of others, and explore the environment, whilst other abilities such as Telekinesis and Pyrokinesis allow you to move things around with the power of your mind...or just set them on fire."

Creator Tim Schafer announced a crowdfunding campaign for Psychonauts 2 at the Video Game Awards in December 2015, and successfully reached its $3.3 million goal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165767-Psychonauts-2-Successfully-Funded-on-Fig] on video game-focused crowdfunding platform Fig in January 2016.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
Hmph. Fair enough I guess. I suppose Psychonauts could fit in VR, if you put enough twists and interesting goofs in it.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Well, at least this means that they are, in fact, trying to continue Psychonauts. While I would much rather have a sequel, at least we know they haven't given up on the franchise.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Well, at least this means that they are, in fact, trying to continue Psychonauts. While I would much rather have a sequel, at least we know they haven't given up on the franchise.
They are working on a sequel. This is supposed to be a game taking place between the gap of 1 and 2.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
They did a crowdfunding campaign last year and made over $3.3M for Psychonauts 2 (why anyone would trust them with crowdfunding again I have no idea...)

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
A few years ago I would have been all over this, however, since their many crowdfunded kerfufles and the shenanigans that surrounded their Spacebase DF-9 game I've lost any interest in them as a studio. Good job Tim, you've managed to make me uninterested in Psychonaughts...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Sight Unseen said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
They did a crowdfunding campaign last year and made over $3.3M for Psychonauts 2 (why anyone would trust them with crowdfunding again I have no idea...)
Exactly. Crowdfunding, in my mind, really doesn't mean anything. All it means to me is, "Give us money for an idea that we MIGHT consider working on in the future."
I've known about the desire of making a sequel for a long time, as well as all the funds that have been granted, but this is the first actual sign that maybe those funds will actually pull through.

MatthewTheDark

The Meme Machine
Jun 13, 2014
I honestly feel this will be the test to see if Psychonauts can still be of similar quality as it was before or if it was lightning in a bottle. Its been a longass time since Psychonauts came out and this will likely show if the sequel is in good hands or not (personally I expect it to fail, but this will be a fair enough test for that assumption.)

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
vallorn said:
A few years ago I would have been all over this, however, since their many crowdfunded kerfufles and the shenanigans that surrounded their Spacebase DF-9 game I've lost any interest in them as a studio. Good job Tim, you've managed to make me uninterested in Psychonaughts...
Same. I would have been over the moon had this been announced five years ago, but my current interest level is practically nil thanks to Double Fine's mismanagement of funds and Schafer behaving like an insufferable jackass.

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
Exactly. Crowdfunding, in my mind, really doesn't mean anything. All it means to me is, "Give us money for an idea that we MIGHT consider working on in the future."
I wouldn't say that. Even the previous Double Fine kickstarters, Broken Age and Massive Chalice (Disclaimer: I backed both of these ones, Broken Age for over $100) were worked on as soon as they were funded and both eventually came out complete. Broken Age is widely seen as a disappointment because it took like 3 years to finish and was overbudget and under delivered, which is why I was surprised so many people trusted them with it again. But I've kickstarted many other projects and only two of them ended in disappointment with the final product, one being Broken Age.

I've known about the desire of making a sequel for a long time, as well as all the funds that have been granted, but this is the first actual sign that maybe those funds will actually pull through.
This is not the sequel that they're working on, and shouldn't have any of the funds from that campaign going into it.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Remarkable. They managed to devise a way to make a Psychonauts game even less successful than the first one.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Xsjadoblayde said:
That's the strongest "Ooooooh! Uhh...Wait...oh, nevermind." I've had in a while.
Ditto. Maybe it was the voice acting/dialogue, or the fact that nobody seemed particularly bothered by what was happening.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
I hope to be able to play in VR one day but to 700 euros the helmet if the prices do not drop I will content myself all my life of my screen. But this is good news for the owners of the PSVR and those who do not yet know Psychonauts.