Blizzard "Objects" to Playing Overwatch with a Mouse and Keyboard on Console

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Blizzard "Objects" to Playing Overwatch with a Mouse and Keyboard on Console

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1380/1380258.jpgIf you're using a mouse and keyboard to play Overwatch on console, Blizzard isn't happy about it.

Playing shooters with a keyboard and mouse isn't only for the PC these days. Not only are there hardware solutions like the keyboard and mouse controller [http://xim4.com/] made by Hori. But if you're using one of those options to play Overwatch, Blizzard isn't all that happy about it.

There's a large thread over at the official Overwatch forums discussing the use of mouse and keyboard in the console versions of the game, and asking if Blizzard believes it to be cheating. A couple of pages into the thread, Game Director Jeff Kaplan weighed in [https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753235853?page=3#post-58] on the topic, saying that, "The Overwatch team objects to the use of mouse and keyboard on console."

Kaplan went on to say that Blizzard has, "contacted both first-party console manufacturers and expressed our concern about the use of mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices. We have lobbied and will continue to lobby for first-party console manufacturers to either:

Disallow mouse and keyboard and input conversion devices

OR

Openly and easily support mouse and keyboard for ALL players."

Finally, Kaplan asks the players reading the thread to help out by reaching out "to the hardware manufacturers and express your concerns (but please do so in a productive and respectful way)."

Of course, this isn't really all that relevant to PS4, which, as we mentioned above, already offers a keyboard and mouse option that's available to everyone. That said, native support for any keyboard you have lying around would be even better. Maybe an interface to map keyboard keys to controller functions, almost like an inverse of what Steam has done with mapping controllers to the keyboard [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169200-Next-Steam-Update-Will-Let-You-Use-a-Xbox-Controller-in-Every-Game].

It's unlikely we'll see any action from either console company on these units, especially Sony, as they have an officially licensed product. It's equally unlikely that Blizzard will take any sort of action, as it has to conform to the console standards set by both manufacturers for their games. If nothing changes, you can bet there people will continue to use them to gain the obvious advantage.

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
I consider anyone who uses a mouse and keyboard on console beneath me. While good aim in Overwatch isn't everything, it's still kind of scummy when you knowingly take advantage of another player's disadvantage.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Yeah I'm kind of with them on this, The Overwatch on PS4/Xbone is specially crafted for console players to adapt for controllers. Playing that version with a mouse and keyboard is essentially applying a handicap to the rest of the players while you take advantage of the auto aim and slower reaction times of your enemies.

It's really scummy. If you do it, shame on you. Man the fuck up and play the PC version.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Borty The Bort said:
I consider anyone who uses a mouse and keyboard on console beneath me. While good aim in Overwatch isn't everything, it's still kind of scummy when you knowingly take advantage of another player's disadvantage.
Well, at least you'll have your moral high ground while getting your ass kicked.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Charli said:
Yeah I'm kind of with them on this, The Overwatch on PS4/Xbone is specially crafted for console players to adapt for controllers. Playing that version with a mouse and keyboard is essentially applying a handicap to the rest of the players while you take advantage of the auto aim and slower reaction times of your enemies.

It's really scummy. If you do it, shame on you. Man the fuck up and play the PC version.
I find your post to be rather ironic considering the pic you have for your avatar. :^)

That said, the point remains valid that the game on consoles is, indeed, balanced differently than the PC version specifically due to the difference between a controller and KBM. That said, I'm not going to say it's cheating, I'm not even going to call it exploitative. It's something that - technically - anyone on consoles can do and take advantage of. I'm not going to condemn someone as being a "scummy player" just because they're making use of their perfectly legitimate resources.

J-Dig

Oct 25, 2011
I used to use Xim4 for PS4 Overwatch due to disability. It worked brilliantly but, as a crutch of sorts, only made me an average player.

I have since gone to PC for all FPS but I'm very lucky that I could afford to. Blizzard shouldn't take any steps that would prevent disabled people doing as I did.

I can understand limitations to stop unfair practices in professional competitions but otherwise it's just a game and the issue is too small to cut off disabled players, who rely on electronic entertainment more than most.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Yes....yes, yes my console brethren. The metamorphosis has begun, soon you will emerge to join us, as one, the glorious PC Master Race! Rejoice.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
It's a valid dilemma. It's a bit of a problem if everyone has to get extra equipment to play on par. But on the other hand, I think J-Dig a couple posts up has a valid point. While it's a suck situation, can't stop it without adversely impacting people who might need it to play at all

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I don't play Overwatch, but having one of those KB/M and having used it on occasion, its not really smoothly integrated unless the game allows for it. Maybe its gotten better since I last tried it in an FPS, but it definitely felt more awkward then the control and like the sensitivity was way off and couldn't be fixed.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Lol but I thought everything was equal and controllers were only a matter of preference? Controller players can do just as well as people using mouse/keyboard, RIGHT? What a silly thing to be so concerned over when both control methods are SO EQUAL!

AHAHAHA

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
When Overwatch was on its first couple of weeks, I remember watching the Rooster Teeth podcast (Or rather, one of its several offshoots) where Gus talked about how it 'felt' different from PC to console, as the console felt slower paced or something.
Now I see this article and I wonder if controller vs key/mouse has different response times or something?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Zydrate said:
When Overwatch was on its first couple of weeks, I remember watching the Rooster Teeth podcast (Or rather, one of its several offshoots) where Gus talked about how it 'felt' different from PC to console, as the console felt slower paced or something.
Now I see this article and I wonder if controller vs key/mouse has different response times or something?
Um, yes. People tend to take longer to kill if you can't aim.

Just mouse vs controller all by itself, you aim faster with a mouse. You can get it near-instant to where it can be difficult to tell if certain people are hacking. Meanwhile joysticks take more time to aim and adjust sight. It's a fact of life. Keyboard/mouse players most often completely stomp controller players to a humiliating degree if they're placed in the same game space, so it makes perfect sense as to why Blizzard would be concerned. It's almost like hacking.

But console people often argue that because it's harder, that makes it superior gaming. If that were true, you'd have 3-legged races at Olympic events. Controllers are a needless handicap.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Official Blizzard stance:

Using a mouse and keyboard in a FPS provides an unfair advantage versus people playing on a gamepad.
I can't count the number of times I've had somebody arguing with me on the Internet that this was not the case.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
MUAHAHAA PCMR!

Then again, it seems up is down and good is bad,
what with PC Gamers (casuals) starting to prefer controllers on PC's and console players using KB/M!!

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
008Zulu said:
Yes....yes, yes my console brethren. The metamorphosis has begun, soon you will emerge to join us, as one, the glorious PC Master Race! Rejoice.
Isn't it the other way around? Controller support for PC games is ever growing. You're one of us, you just haven't realised it yet :)

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Borty The Bort said:
Yeah, screw the fancy, precise cutlery,
everyone should just stuff their faces into the trough and gorge the food down! Yiiiiie-haw! ;)

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I have a question:

To those who are arguing M+KB are such a level beyond standard controller input. Does it not then create a situation where, as the M+KB setups are not standard/shipped, but a paid accessory, you are directly condoning pay to win. In a very literal sense?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
Elijin said:
I have a question:

To those who are arguing M+KB are such a level beyond standard controller input. Does it not then create a situation where, as the M+KB setups are not standard/shipped, but a paid accessory, you are directly condoning pay to win. In a very literal sense?
You brought shitty sandals to play football.

I went out and bought cleats.

I mopped the floor with you; Pay 2 win!

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
*shrug* Further confirmation that mouse/keyboard is the superior input method. Good luck policing this Blizzard. Sony and Microsoft need not care about your concerns here and some players as mentioned above might have legit reason to do it.

Possible stopgap could be to put in a script that detects the input method used and removes auto aim from mouse keyboard players. It won't remove all of the advantage but it will at least put these players on the same footing they would be on if they were on the PC side. Otherwise literally what are you going to do?

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
Eh, I say let em. I say this as a freak who uses a controller even when playing PC FPS games. Haha